Donlatt
DucoNihilum

By nature, printed word demands rigorous logic, whereas television does not.

Donlatt

Pro

Printed word inherently demands rigorous logic to comprehend and understand, while television as a medium does not, because it fails to make assertions.

I'll let Duco take it from here.
DucoNihilum

Con

As my opponent is both the instigator and FOR the proposition, it is his duty to make propitious. I will, however, try to anticipate the arguments he might use and discuss them in my first round

I will focus much of my arguments around "Printed word demands rigorous logic"

Logic is not necessarily required for printed word, simply because you might read books that tend to be more logical than others (I do too) does not mean that all books, or even books in general demand 'logic'. In many books, there is no real logical process, and in fact, movies, TV, and other media are really just manifestations of books. They write the script, and rather than turning it into a book they turn it into a movie.

Thousands of books are printed every year, only a few of them are remotely good or 'demand logic', the rest, mostly fiction novels and the like, are similar to TV or movies in this sort of quality.

I stand open for, and await my opponents opening arguments.
Donlatt

Pro

Donlatt forfeited this round.
DucoNihilum

Con

As my opponent did not reply whatsoever, I extend all arguments.

I am still waiting for my opponent to affirm his proposition.
Donlatt

Pro

I apologize for the forfeit. I was only one minute late to submitting the argument.

I understand some books could require more logic than others, but books in general require logic to comprehend and understand than television does.

In order to make sense of any text, the reader must utilize a variety of logical skills, such as:

• Follow a line of thought
• Identify, visualize, and classify objects, people, and places by descriptions given (as opposed to visual images in television)
• Make inferences
• Use reasoning skills
• Identify any stylistic techniques being used, and how this relates to the narrative
• Weigh ideas
• Compare and contrast assertions
• Classify various aspects of the text

All of these must also be used to comprehend the text. All of these are being used to understand the purpose and ideas being presented in the text.

Television, however, does not utilize logical skills as much as reading does. This is because it is primarily entertainment, and uses a succession of flashing images to keep the mind busy. Reading on the other hand, is primarily used to record and transfer thoughts and emotions from person to person. Whether in the form of essays, fiction, non-fiction, or poetry, they each possess ideas they wish to present to readers, and logical skills must be used to acquire these ideas.

Television does not utilize as many of these skills because it fails to make assertions. It presents no opinions or views on any topic or subject. A good example of this would be a commercial for McDonalds. It tells nothing about the content of the food being advertised, it only shows a happy clown and a group of children enjoying a meal. There is no stance to be taken while watching this. You can not refute or accept the commercial, as it is nothing more than an event that has taken place. Even if the characters do present opinions, the viewer is nothing more than a witness, and is not being addressed with the statement. The viewer is a third party with no say in the situation, as thoughts are not being recorded, only events. In a book, the reader is personally being addressed with these thoughts, as opposed to television, where the viewer is a witness to events.
DucoNihilum

Con

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
Donlatt

Pro

Donlatt forfeited this round.
DucoNihilum

Con

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
Posted by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
How do you make bullets, like in Pro R3?
Posted by Geekis_Khan 9 years ago
Geekis_Khan
You guys should redo this debate. You both start off with decent arguments, but I see holes in both, and I think it would be better to let each other duke it out and let the ideas develop.

I'm going to abstain for now.
Vote Placed by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
DonlattDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by WeaponE 9 years ago
WeaponE
DonlattDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
DonlattDucoNihilumTied