sippinsizzurp
DucoNihilum

Bystanders should not try to stop minors from stealing alcohol.

sippinsizzurp

Pro

Let me start off by saying that this has never happened to me personally. Don't get me wrong, I've stolen more than my share of liquor as a youth(best night: seven bottles, two 24 packs!). In all those instances, people either ignored myself and my friends or cheered us on. Recently, my friend recounted a story in which a "hero" tackled him to the ground while trying to get away with a 30-pack of MGD. We both agreed it was completely uncalled for. But anyway, this guy (an alleged body-builder) sat on him until the manager and security guard arrived. They felt so bad for the kid, for being tackled by a hulking maniac, that they released him with a slap on the wrist (this paricular Fry's is now off limits).

Stores have security for a reason. Also, there is the police department. Civilians and bystanders have no right to act as law enforcement.

But all this is beside the point I'm really trying to make (although not stated in the resolution)which is that it's okay for juveniles to steal alcohol. I'll stop there and expand on this as my rebuttal.
DucoNihilum

Con

Firstly, I'd like to point out that I am in favor of lowering the drinking to 18, however, I will want to focus entirely on your idea that it should be OK to steal alcohol so long as you are a minor, and that nobody has the right to stop your theft. People have the right to Life, Liberty, and Property, allowing minors to 'steal alcohol' takes property rights away from owners of alcohol.
sippinsizzurp

Pro

I also agree that the drinking age should be lowered. It's ridiculous that we are granted the right to jeopordize our lives and lungs through war and cigarettes but are denied the same opportunity with our liver.

I know I kind of changed the resolution in the last part of my opener but I would like to actully still debate it also.

As for what you want to "focus on entirely", allow me to clarify. I hold the position that it is generally acceptable and tolerable for minors to shoplift alcohol from grocery or conveniance stores. This is obviously not the case for the owners or employess of such establishments, but this is when the actual topic of this debate becomes relevant. I am speaking of bystanders and pedestrians in or around the stores. Let me offer the following scenario:

It's Friday night in Detroit and two attractive females you're aquainted with want to hang out. They eventually want to start drinking, as is the impulse for hot, slutty girls on a Friday night. (Did I mention they were slutty?) All three of you are under legal drinking age and you just got mugged. (This is Detroit, remember). Your walking along the sidewalk, contemplating how to get some booze. The three of you eventually walk into a local grocery store, it is 11:30 with only one checkout lane open. There are few employees as the store will close shortly. The girls wander over to the alcohol isle and start pressuring you to take a bottle of grey goose. You are apprehensive at first but quickly stuff the bottle in your pants following mention of fellatio.

-At this juncture, I say it is okay to put that bottle in your pants, walk out of that store, and get intoxicated with these two girls which will no doubt end in a sensational three-way. I add that no bystander has the right to try and stop you and ruin your chances to score.

Do you disagree?
DucoNihilum

Con

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
sippinsizzurp

Pro

Any person trying to stop me from getting faded is getting shot with the CANNON!

http://youtube.com...
DucoNihilum

Con

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
My intention was not to forfeit, sorry for that, t overwhelamed with work and illness.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
you guys got me riled up and I started a debate about the rant I went on a few comments down:

http://www.debate.org...

If you are interested...
Posted by sippinsizzurp 8 years ago
sippinsizzurp
Troll? I'm simply debating subject matters that are relevant to my life. Duco, you should not have taken the debate if your intention was to forfeit. Exactly when did you decide I was a troll? Before or after you found you had no good counter-arguments?
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Rob, I believe complete prohibition fails it's because one is attempting to deny addicts.
In this case, we are talking about the initial drinking age. Few young teenagers are alcohol addicts.
Here in NZ, children can also drink alcohold legally - even in a pub, if accompanied by their parents. A very rare site just the same.
Very weird that in the US they can't drink with their parents after 18. Clearly this anomaly should be corrected. I would expect it wouldn't be hard.

You make some good points about the problems with inconsistency. Take heart, complete prohibition was rolled back because they didn't want a law in place that was so widely flouted.

Cheers
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
While I personally don't approve of this sippinsizzurp fellow, the fact of the matter is that CON didn't debate. Thus, I vote PRO.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
Derek, we live in a prohibition-crazy nation here in USA. We've got the government putting people in prison for using marijuana, while it's perfectly legal for us to drink ourselves into a coma. We lack any consistency in our laws pertaining to consumable non-food items, and this creates confusion among the public and I believe this contributes to our problems, DUI's being one of them. Our children can legally drink alcohol with their parents, yet when they turn 18 they enter a window in which they can't drink with their parents until they turn 21, at which time they can resume drinking. People just don't think things through; PROHIBITION DOES NOT WORK. Arresting someone for driving drunk is one thing; arresting someone that is 20 and drinking at home with their parents is another. Arresting someone who is smoking marijuana in the privacy of their own home is also pretty disturbing to me, to say the least. If we didn't have all of these contradicting laws, we could focus on DUI's and tell people: "what you do with your body is your own business, just DO NOT get into a car if you are inebriated or else you WILL be dealt with by the law". The law is a joke to kids; they turn 18 and they are already chronic law-breakers (truancy laws, drug laws, drinking laws) so they don't think much of one more law to break (drinking and driving). I blame DUI's on the people who are most ideologically AGAINST them: the ones who think that because they don't like drugs and alcohol themselves that everybody else should be just like them and practice 100% abstinence. I blame these people for the deaths cause by drunk driving.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
We lowered the drinking age to 18 here in NZ.
Don't make the same mistake.

Instead of 18-year-olds trying to get alcohol, you get 16-year-olds.
They become more drunk, then they try to drive...
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
He does fit the general description, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that his account should be shut down. Forfeiting the rounds wasn't the best way to go about this either; you've just given him his first win and only served to justify his presence on this site. Furthermore, I've seen some of the finest debaters on this site engaging in complete tomfoolery just to change it up a bit...
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
what is a troll? I'm not up on the lingo
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by artC 8 years ago
artC
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by FBJames 8 years ago
FBJames
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by flor 8 years ago
flor
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by sippinsizzurp 8 years ago
sippinsizzurp
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by rubbersoul 8 years ago
rubbersoul
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by Kandace_Sisney 8 years ago
Kandace_Sisney
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 8 years ago
liberalconservative
sippinsizzurpDucoNihilumTied