Abdab
WatashiwaKoharudesu

CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) Needs major reform

Abdab

Pro

The UK Children's mental health services is costing more money than it is benefiting children and needs a major reform immediately. First round is for acceptance.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

I accept this debate.

While you are right in a way, I believe that the UK mental health services are not as bad as you make them out to be. When I was in secondary school, I had an awful case of Misophonia/4S (Selective Sound Sensitivity Syndrome), and I definitely received the treatment I needed. I went to the doctor, and he referred me to a counsellor within a month. There are many cheap services as well, such as Childline: a phone service for depressed/abused children, many free counselling services out there, and if you still can't get treatment, a doctor can usually refer you to a counsellor.
Abdab

Pro

Abdab forfeited this round.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

Have I stumped you?

To be fair, there are times when it can be hard to find the right help, but I had first-hand experience of this, and it wasn't so hard to get the help I needed.
Abdab

Pro

You have not stumped me and I sincerely apologise for not posting on the last round. My argument, much like yours, comes from personal experience. Since the age of 11 I have been working with camhs off and on and still to this day, 6 years later, it has gotten me nowhere. I have been diagnosed with a whole host of problems from depression, seasonal affective disorder, general anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder. I have been given just about every type of medication and therapy they have to offer, yet each diagnosis and each new treatment all seem like an excuse because they refuse to admit that they actually have no idea what my problem is. Sometimes it can take up to 2 months for my next appointment to come through, and even then it might only be a checkup and nothing productive happens. The only time they actually work hard is if I have to go to the curt (camhs urgent response team) at the hospital because I've gone and done something stupid. When I tell them my problems such as a history of abuse or my brother's death they always brush it off and tell me my real problem is something else entirely. They're completely shambolic.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

Sorry "Have I stumped you?" is just my default sentence for when someone doesn't reply.

I too sincerely apologize, as I know realize that you are right. I misunderstood the first part of the message and thought you meant EVERY mental health clinic in the UK, but yes, you are right.

Growing up with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Selective Sound Sensitivity (Misophonia) and General Anxiety, I see where you are coming from. My doctor did refer me to that counselor, and I ended up cancelling it because they tried to get a Social Worker instead of someone to deal with sound problems for my Misophonia.

The one thing that REALLY needs fixed are schools. My Misophonia teared my studies apart, and me being the academic student I was, seeing my scores drop made me really upset. And what did the school say? "Just don't concentrate on the noise and it will go away".

Schools also need to actually KNOW all of the disorders, sure they could treat Diabetes, but someone comes in with a mental problem? Oh, there's nothing I can do. I'm just going to make you sit in class with a girl who breathes through her mouth all day while you sit there and have a panic attack.

So yes, I'm sorry for taking up this debate even though I agreed with you, but this should be known by everyone by now. Something needs to be done soon.