CD's vs, Vinyl

Started: 3/8/2016 Category: Music

Vinyl is way better than CD's and digital music.

This will not at all be a difficult debate to win. Any music that was created during the "vinyl era" can be "cleaned" digitally and will sound much richer and smoother. Digital music can't become chipped, if damaged it can just be re-downloaded. Almost all music that came out on vinyl can be listened to in digital from, that's not true the other way around.

Actually, there is technology that allows conversion for vinyl. And digital lacks something very important: soul. Listen to vinyl. Listen to digital. Something sound missing? That's soul. Digital music looses its soul because of all the conversion.

Vinyl: The singer sings into the mic. The sound is recorded on a master disc. Then the vinyl is pressed and shipped. So you get sound as if they are right there in the room.

Digital: Singer sings into mic. Gets recorded onto computer. Get edited. And edited, and edited (since hardly anyone sings god anymore).

So you see?

I am aware that we can put modern music in vinyl form, I was pointing out that it isn't commonly done, and is viewed more like a collector's item.

In order to argue that digital music has no soul and vinyl does you would first have to prove the existence of the soul itself since nothing has ever been proven to have a soul. The "soul" that I hear when I listen to vinyl is inferior equipment and an impossible to ignore graininess. Digital music doesn't sound like its missing some sort of magical element to me, it sounds like a nice crisp and clean version of whatever song I've chosen to listen to.

I'll also make the argument that digital music is much easier to store than vinyl records, which take up much more physical space. I'll add to that the fact that the bulky machine needed to play vinyl is inferior to the modern (of various sized but rarely "bulky") machines we use to play digital music.

I was going to end this argument there but I'll go ahead and pile on the fact that I don't know of, nor have I ever heard of, a vehicle coming out with a vinyl player installed. I imagine there wouldn't be much space for anything else if there were such a vehicle.

One common term among record listeners, is warmth. This term is referred to that fuzzy sound heard when playing a vinyl. Once in a while a classic may emit a crackle, snap, or pop, but that sound is really a price sound for collectors and only adds to the vinyl experience. The "warmth" described by vinyl users is often characterized as a kind of deep bass that is fuzzy and less accurate. Many find it difficult to explain and some find it difficult to understand until they actually drop the needle on the record and hear it for themselves. Often times the reason behind the crackle in the background of some records is that they are simply old. The vinyl has been used many times and the quality is a bit worn, but the overall listening experience is rarely affected. The pops that can be heard on some records are caused by a similar phenomenon. The record could be aged, or for new records, although rare, there could be a pressing error. Skips on records are easily explained: scratches. Many times, before arm levers were introduced, people found it nearly impossible to own a record for a long amount of time and not get an accidental scratch on it. Vinyl"s also attract dust due to static electricity. Luckily, every time the LP is played, the dust is mechanically pushed out of the grooves by the needle. At the end of the day, consumers have found that the best way to preserve their vinyl records is to simply put them away when they aren"t being used.

True record collectors and players know there is no such thing as a "bad" to LP records. However, one small "issue" is the fact that high pitched frequencies and sibilance are difficult for the needle to trace. This can cause "the ugly crackle of distortion, while deep bass panned between the left and right channels can knock around the needle." (Greenwald) Another small concern is that the beginning of an album side will always sound better than the end. This is because as the needle gets closer to the middle of the album, the needle speed changes and it is unable to follow every millimeter of the groove. This can cause a slight change in sound, especially when the last song of the album has a fast tempo. In addition, the vinyl records can generate little noises like pops and crackles. However, these signature sounds only add to the authenticity and the whole record listening experience.

I don't feel the need to post any further points due to you not even trying to refute my last ones. You seem to have spent this entire round pointing out that records do in fact have many issues on the subject of sound quality, something I've already pointed out.

Either way I look forward to our fellow debaters weighing in on the subject.
Posted by GrimlyF 2 months ago
I tried to stuff a 38" vinyl into my mp3 but it broke.
Posted by Isabella_137 7 months ago
Both, kind of. Personally, I like old music. But the debate mainly circles around the quality of the music sound produced.
Posted by Argtarc 7 months ago
Do you mean that older music is better, or that vinyls have better quality than CDs?? Would you please explain further?
Posted by harrytruman 7 months ago
I don't have an opinion on this topic.