anitajasmine
cherokee15

COLONIALISM:did it benefit Africa.

anitajasmine

Pro

Thanks to con for accepting to debate.I believe you are fully African or partly and so i want your opinion. Colonialism was not only 'exploration' but an opportunity to solidify black identity,understand the African economy and production.Africans were more beneficial with colonialism than the europeans themselves because now we know why we should fight for what is ours and differentiate our consciousness. Yes,peace and stability was disturbed.we look at colonisation as a bad thing because white came and took over our land but the question is 'did they take the land with them back?'.what about african civil war when they still take lands.think about it. Goodluck!!!!!
cherokee15

Con

I thank my opponent for bringing up the important topic to light. I wish her good luck.

I would like to start this debate by basically saying that COLONIALISM did not positively affect Africa.

In Numerical order I will list the reasons why I believe this:

1.Slavery is technically a part of African colonialism, slavery involved the stealing of millions of Africans from their families and forcing them to work in a foreign land for no money. Many Africans where brutally killed and half the slaves died during the passage in the ships before even arriving to the Americas.
2.Europeans took advantage of Africans natural resources and used them to their advantage.
Africans were and are being killed through the diamond industry which is ironically headed by Europeans. Therefore it is a billion dollar industry that succeeds at the expense of millions of African lives. Also therefore when you buy a diamond you are supporting this vicious cycle of death.
3. Colonizers forced types of governments that work for them but not for Africans.
4. Colonizers pitted African against African. Before colonizers tribes usually got along but now a days they don't because of this.

I will go more in depth later in the debate.
Thanks............
anitajasmine

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for accepting this challenge.If you think colonialism was not beneficial and you want to restore 'African Pride' and beauty then get rid of everything western and make it pure AFRICAN by wearing animal skin,do not use computers or internet because it keeps us in touch with the west or you be like Chinese Government and be controlled as to what site you can access.Do you want that? With English we can communicate with our African brothers and sisters.The process was gruesome and I would have never liked to be part of it but don't you ever think for a second this was the first step to development and to us being protective.According to my opponent 'colonial masters took our natural resources and used them to their advantage' why not turn the question around,what did we gain? They built roads,railways to connect strategic places,telegraph lines(Africans were amazed because these lines were able to carry messages),introduction of NEW CROPS like coffee and cocoa which supplied cash,freedom of religion as a basic human right was born and grew during colonial era,colleges could not have been met without government grant-in-aid made from 1920 downwards.Finally,take a good look at Ethiopia because they resisted colonialism have bad infrastructure and economy..........According to a French stateman LEON GAMBETTA 'to remain a great nation or become one,you must be COLONISED.
cherokee15

Con

"Thanks to my opponent for accepting this challenge.If you think colonialism was not beneficial and you want to restore 'African Pride' and beauty then get rid of everything western and make it pure AFRICAN by wearing animal skin,do not use computers or internet because it keeps us in touch with the west or you be like Chinese Government and be controlled as to what site you can access.Do you want that? With English we can communicate with our African brothers and sisters.The process was gruesome and I would have never liked to be part of it but don't you ever think for a second this was the first step to development and to us being protective.According to my opponent 'colonial masters took our natural resources and used them to their advantage' why not turn the question around,what did we gain? They built roads,railways to connect strategic places,telegraph lines(Africans were amazed because these lines were able to carry messages),introduction of NEW CROPS like coffee and cocoa which supplied cash,freedom of religion as a basic human right was born and grew during colonial era,colleges could not have been met without government grant-in-aid made from 1920 downwards.Finally,take a good look at Ethiopia because they resisted colonialism have bad infrastructure and economy..........According to a French stateman LEON GAMBETTA 'to remain a great nation or become one,you must be COLONISED."

All right, i am going to try to confront every point that my opponent made and will expose some false statements that she made.
1."If you think colonialism was not beneficial and you want to restore 'African Pride' and beauty then get rid of everything western and make it pure AFRICAN by wearing animal skin....."
This statement is so stereotypical that its very hard to believe that someone who knows anything about africa would say something like this. I would like to ask my opponent if she really thinks that all Africans wear "animal skin".
The actual fact is that not all africans wear animal skins. This is just yet one of the many distortions that people who live in mostly western nations grow up to believe, white and black.
Of course, i can't blame this on my opponent, probably never having been to any country in africa.
For most of the time in africa, people who still live in villages and live their traditional tribal way, wear cloathing that can be made out of cloth, beeds. Sure there are certain tribes that may wear a little animal skin but they account for a small percentage of africans.

2."....do not use computers or internet because it keeps us in touch with the west or you be like Chinese Government and be controlled as to what site you can access."

It is a crazy thing to say that if i want to be pure african i should not use internet because its not african.
In case you didn't know, people of african decent played a major role it the development of the computer and internet.
For example Philip Emeagwali who in 1989 invented the super computer which could compute 3.1 billion calculations in one second!
He has also been rumored to have helped invent modernday internet.
And yes, he is Nigerian. http://www.black-inventor.com...
John Henry Thompson, who is black, invented Macromedia Director. Thompson has helped develop MediaMaker, Actions, VideoWorks Accelerator, and Video Works II.
http://www.black-inventor.com...
Therfore it is not "Un African" to use inventions that africans helped invent.
3."The process was gruesome and I would have never liked to be part of it but don't you ever think for a second this was the first step to development and to us being protective."

Are you saying that before we where brought into slavery we did not have developed societies?
Slavery was deffinetly not our first step to development.
Some of the advanced civilizations we had were Axum, Empire of Ghana, Mali, Great Zimbabwe, Swahilli, Songhay and many many others. It is a lie that we were not "Developed" before the coming of the "white man".
This statement is very ignorant.

4."According to my opponent 'colonial masters took our natural resources and used them to their advantage' why not turn the question around,what did we gain? They built roads,railways to connect strategic places,telegraph lines(Africans were amazed because these lines were able to carry messages),introduction of NEW CROPS like coffee and cocoa which supplied cash,freedom of religion as a basic human right was born and grew during colonial era,colleges could not have been met without government grant-in-aid made from 1920 downwards."

We gained very little from these introdutions, considering the fact that the revenue made from these "Introductions" went straight into the hands of the colonizer. I would like to also say that not every road, railway, telegraph machine are a result of the Europeans but a lot the africans themselves made these. You say that Coffee was a "NEW CROP" to africa? You must no very very little about coffee. Do you not know that ethiopians have been making coffee for thousands of years? Ethiopian coffee is very known throughout the world. Also, freedom of religion existed before colonizers. Haven't you ever wondered why there is violations of freedom of religion in africa not until today. You talk about colleges yet you forget that in ancient times europeans would go all the way to mali, ghana, and egypt to go to a university.
5."Finally,take a good look at Ethiopia because they resisted colonialism have bad infrastructure and economy......"
I would like to make it VERY clar to anybody who knows nothing about ethiopia.
This statement made about ethiopia could not be any further from truth.
She says that Ethiopia has bad infastructure and bad economy because they resisted colonizers. It is the total opposite.
Ethiopia resisted colonialism and has good infastructure and good economy.
Ethiopia has the fifth biggest economy in sub sahara africa.
Ethiopia is the second largest non-oil dependent country in Africa.
In the past 8 years the ethiopian economy has improved 11.8% annum.
Their gdp doubled from 131 billion birr in 2006 to 246 billion birr in 2008 Source:Ernst & young ethiopia. WB Data
Honestly, i dont think you should say something about a country you obviusly know nothing about.
6."According to a French stateman LEON GAMBETTA 'to remain a great nation or become one,you must be COLONISED."

My response to this is that he is contradicting himself because his own country,France, is not colonized.

THANKS...........................
Posted by TombLikeBomb 6 years ago
TombLikeBomb
I felt that Pro was dismissively painting the negative side with the broad brush of deonontology, and I just wanted to make clear that I'm not a deontologist. She failed to justify colonialism in consequentialist terms, and I felt the best way to make that case was to introduce myself as a borderline nihilist. Maybe it was the wrong move.
Posted by Davewerty 6 years ago
Davewerty
Well just because something is natural, doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't evil. As TomblikeBomb had stated. Evil itself is natural, is it not?
Posted by TombLikeBomb 6 years ago
TombLikeBomb
I don't think colonialism is evil, I think it's completely natural. Furthermore, I think that even if it were evil its consequences being summarily positive would trump its evilness. And yet I too agree with Con. But, while his arguments were sufficient, I think both sides made mistakes. For instance, that the development of modern technology was somewhat due to people of African ancestry, while perhaps useful in a debate with an outright racist, is useles in a debate with someone who simply supports colonialism, much less one that merely perceives its consequences as basically positive. What proportion of these African descendants were affected by colonization? If many, their contributions favor Pro's side, not Con's. But even entertaining arguments such as computer-versus-pelt might be a mistake, as they give the colonizer the unfair advantage of centuries of post-colonization progress; the potential of the colonized for independent development is assumed away. For example, even if the computer were a purely white invention, who says Africa wouldn't have invented it on its own if not for colonization? More importantly, why is the alternative to colonization assumed to be isolation? Aren't non-colonized peoples typically exposed to others anyway, more symbiotically? Wouldn't Africans have at least their current access to computers et al in that case? And even if not, why should an African, hyphenated or not, be ashamed about using computers? Even if Africans were unlikely to have received them by now if not for colonization, can't one appreciate one consequence of colonization while regretting its consequences on balance? It's typically a bad sign when one resorts to accusing the other side of hypocrisy anyway.
Posted by anitajasmine 6 years ago
anitajasmine
I knew i was going to loose because most people believe it was evil and no arguement was gonna change their minds.i talked like a direct descent of the colonial masters.lolllllll
Posted by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
One sided benefits, colonialism is evil . . .
Posted by anitajasmine 6 years ago
anitajasmine
It was not Good but Beneficial @superobotwars
Posted by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
Colonialism is evil . . .
Posted by anitajasmine 6 years ago
anitajasmine
now you are in.
Posted by cherokee15 6 years ago
cherokee15
y did u take me out?
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
anitajasminecherokee15Tied
Vote Placed by KevinW 6 years ago
KevinW
anitajasminecherokee15Tied
Vote Placed by jimmye 6 years ago
jimmye
anitajasminecherokee15Tied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
anitajasminecherokee15Tied