AbbyH
jarlbank

Cake or Pie?

jarlbank
Started: 8/28/2014 Category: Funny

AbbyH

Pro

Many love a sweet treat every now and then, I know I do! :) But what is actually the best? The delicious fluff of a well baked cake topped with creamy or whipped icing? With such beautiful designs! :OR: The flavorful smell of dough and fruit wafting from the nearest window? With their own designs checkered or forked across the top. What will you choose? Pros for PIE and Cons for CAKE! Ready? Set? GO!
jarlbank

Con

Because you have not argued either side in your first round nor will I, I will however accept your argument. I will use arguments against pie but will not read you post until I have posted mine so I do not have an advantage of being the only person to be able to counter your argument. I may counter somethings but it will not have been because of the post. I look forward to this debate, and good luck!
AbbyH

Pro

The subject is pie. and I'm not talking about 3.14.....etc. I'm talking about grandmas homemade recipe for sweet delicious apple pie. Some people may enjoy pie because it just tastes good. But I'm going in depth with what makes pie taste so good! One reason pie is pleasing is the texture. A crunchy crust is often a plus! The flaky texture and crispness of the crust makes anybodies mouth water! With many flavors to choose from starting at traditional apple to something as funky as key lime. Some pies are made of meat! There are over 12,000 different types of registered pies. Baked fruit is the best you can do for your body besides fresh fruit! Leave the skin on and bake them, it causes the natural sugar in them to caramelize. Making up for unnecessary additives. It's also usually healthier. Again without the additives. Pie also has equal amounts of crust and filling in every bite. It is so good it was stolen from the windowsill many a time. Pie is a wonderful treat that is timeless.
jarlbank

Con

I want to start by saying, I do not hate pies, or even dislike them, however I do enjoy cakes and will be arguing for cakes. I am not going to cover things like "cake tastes better" because that is an opinion. I am going to keep my intro short and simply dive into the argument but before I do, I ask the judges to judge based on the arguments not personal opinions.

My first section is about variation in cake. First of all I want to quickly mention that a cake is not limited to being a sugary treat, and in Sweden there is a thing called a sandwich cake, that is" well" a cake made of sandwiches. The cake though it may sound weird is pretty good, in my opinion (I know because I have had some.) There are also things like moon cakes from china, cupcakes or even crab cakes. However because this is a debate about the two sweet treats I am going to stick to what people normally think of when they hear cake. In terms of flavor both treats share about the same range of flavors but caked have their flavor baked into the "bread" or added in the frosting (not always frosting) afterwards. Pies main flavor on the other hand come from the filling. Sure there might sometimes be some bits of fruit within the crust of the pie, but never enough to add flavor to the entire pie. Because a pie needs the item that is the to act as a filling it limits what can be put into a pie. In a cake however something that might normally not work as filling, can be added to a batter and mixed in. Also by adding "frosting" to cake you add a possibility of two flavors like in carrot cake (carrot and cream cheese.) and Cakes are also not limited to a simple spongy bread, and some cake bakers choose to add a more crispy bread instead (like wafers.) I have even seen a cake made from stacking crepes on top of each other! Pies on the other hand are limited when it comes to the crust.

The next thing I want to discuss is the art of cake making. Baking in it self is an art, and making a pie and cake both take a bit of skill, however once the pie has been baked there is very little you can do. Cakes on the other hand have the art of cake decorating, and that can range from your basic cake to things worth of an art gallery. Cake decorating a valid profession that allows the maker to make a living of just one part of cake creation.

Whenever a person sees a cake they are usually in a good time of their life when something big has happened, some examples of this are a birthday, wedding, anniversary, and graduation and holidays like New years. These events symbolize a step forward in life in some way or another. Cakes are not only for big events but can also be part of almost any party and is usually the main event of the dessert table. Are cakes limited to special events though? Not at all, cakes can also be made at anytime by any one. Even people who have never baked a cake before, or have never baked for that matte can bake a cake and have success, with cake mixes. However cakes also can be made from scratch allowing all skills of bakers to bake cakes and be rewarded by their efforts.

The final thing I wish to discuss is healthiness. First of all, this is not the most important section, because well" neither cake nor pie was designed to be healthy, it was designed as a treat. Anyways for this I am not using homemade cake or pie for everyone has their own recipe rather I will look at the healthiness of the most popular cake and pie. According to some nationwide surveys, the most popular pie flavor is apple, and most popular cake flavor is chocolate. I am using nutritiondata.self to compare the healthiness of a slice of commercially prepared dutch apple pie and piece chocolate cake (with frosting). The pie has 16 grams of fat, while the cake had only 10. The pies has 397 calories while the cake has 235. The slice of pie has 61 grams of carbohydrates while the cake had only 35 grams.

These are 4 reasons (though not the only reasons) that cake is superior to pie. To end my argument I want to say, I enjoyed this debate, and hope my opponent did too. I would also like to remind you once again this is not a poll, so vote based on the arguments not what you believe.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
Yay they took that annoying comment off
dynamicduodebaters
Do not take the email below! Internet safety!
dynamicduodebaters
Exactly
Posted by AbbyH 2 years ago
AbbyH
Pardon that should be Geogeer.
Posted by AbbyH 2 years ago
AbbyH
Gregeer if you do not like the debate then don't participate in it. But don't mess it up for everyone else who finds it interesting.
dynamicduodebaters
We were sick Geogeer. and now if i dont want to debate something then respect that
Posted by AbbyH 2 years ago
AbbyH
Some debates are for the fun of being debates. OR to find out if there is any correlation between people and the specific reasons they like pie? Or vice versa.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
You cannot have a subjective debate - because if it is subjective there is no way to determine a winner. This should be a poll or a forum item.

As for DDD - they are fellow countrymen of mine who started a debate with ridiculous rules and then when they found that they bit off more than they could chew claimed illness (which I granted to them) and will not restart the debate. I had expected greater honour from fellow Canadians.
Posted by AbbyH 2 years ago
AbbyH
Are you two rivals or something? But seriously cake or pie. I want to know this. Subjective or not. I prefer Pie to be honest.
dynamicduodebaters
I Would not like to debate that again. Sorry
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
AbbyHjarlbankTied
Reasons for voting decision: con provided many, many ways in which pie is better than cake while pro struggled to stick to one and talk detailedly about even one advantage of cake.