Pride_of_Scotland
happypancakeeater

Call of Duty 4 is the Best First-Person-Shooter Currently on the Market

Pride_of_Scotland

Pro

I will start by saying that I am an avid player of CoD4, on the PC version. The PC version, imo, is better because the controls are much simpler than on a 360 controller. Again, just my opinion, but please don't steer this off topic by saying "ZOMG 360 IS BETTER U NOOBCAKE LOOLZZ!!11!".

Now, Call of Duty 4 not only has tremendous multiplayer, but it has a great single player story as well. You play as a British SAS operative and a member of the Marine Recon Force. I won't spoil it for you, though, because the single player has about as many plot twists as '24'. The single player has unique weapons not found in multiplayer, and utilizes modern day weapons and technology, such as the M4, AK-74U, and night vision goggles. The single player, second only to 'Halo', is the deepest and most interesting I have ever seen.

But, as previously mentioned, the single player is not the only thing to buy CoD4 for. The multiplayer maps are very well-designed, and the creativity of the server-creators, who make the games for the multiplayer, keep the multiplayer interesting and fun. For example, there is a server where you can only crawl on your belly and use your knife, which, from an aerial view, looks sort of like worms crawling.

I am looking forward to a good rebuttal with good, solid facts.
happypancakeeater

Con

There are at least two FPS's currently on the market that are better that COD 4: Bioshock and Portal.

Bioshock is one of the only games that has any sort of philosophical or humanistic approach. The art direction is one of the best of any game yet (light-years better than Halo's). It's far more creative in it's presentation and has deeper characters even for "generic bad-guys". It presents an entirely open world full of detail and intrigue. Comparatively, although it does a good job at what it does, COD 4 is simply a rail shooter with large setpieces and big explosions. The AI hardly interact with one another without interference from the player.

Portal is an amazingly concise, well thought out and deviously funny game. It makes references to complex ideas in very subtle ways and is quite frankly what a GAME should be.
Pride_of_Scotland

Pro

I don't have Bioshock, but I've played it at a mates house, and I agree that it is a very deep game with a great storyline. I don't know about Portal, but what sets CoD4 apart from the others is multiplayer. Bioshock has no multiplayer, which is rare for an FPS. Portal has none either. I will attest that Bioshock may have a better single player than CoD4, it has that because single player is all that it has. I realize that BS's single player would conflict with any type of multiplayer mode, but it's sort of a given that any new FPS has multiplayer. Portal is also a very unique game, but, again, the multiplayer of CoD4 is better because:

A.) With 50+ challenges, and unlockable weapon skins (i.e. desert, digital, blue tiger) and accesories, it makes for a much more satisfying experience. So, if you want a Rambo class with a woodland-skinned Mini-Uzi and a Colt .45, knock yourself out.

B.) CoD4 multiplayer also has many 'perks' for each weapon class. These perks are meant to 'right the wrongs' in weapons, if you will. For example, there is a perk called 'Double Tap', which increases the rate of fire for you weapons. Not all perks add to your weapons, though. There are some that add items to your kit, like Claymores or even an RPG rocket launcher.

C.) Did I mention the realism? CoD4 has 20+ weapons, each having their own ups and downs (i.e. the M4 may have less kick than an AK-47, but the AK is more powerful at close range).

I didn't even get that in-depth about the deep storyline of CoD4. If you've ever played the single player, you'd know that not only does it have amazing visuals (shown in this video, for instance, which is NOT a cut-scene. It is in real-time during the game), but it has an amazing storyline, and you'll get to know every character by their attitude, accent, or even by the weapon they carry. But the ending, in my opinion, is the best part. I won't spoil it, though. I'm not that mean.
happypancakeeater

Con

I own COD 4 and enjoy it but I honestly don't consider it revolutionary. It still is a linear shooter, the story line isn't deep and EVERY character is a stereotype whereas, characters in Bioshock and GLADOS in Portal are dynamic and have complex motives. Both Bioshock and Portal are unconventional and have much more sophisticated ideas. Bioshock goes so far as to base the entire story one the criticism of a philosophical idea. This is what gives games depth.

COD 4's multiplayer is really, really good, but it isn't on par with one like battlefield two which has massive maps and full vehicular interaction. The class system is interesting but doesn't count as "revolutionary."

In terms of realism, COD 4 is a joke (not more of a joke than most "hollywood" shooters). Games like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon are much more realistic and games like Americas army and Battlefield Europe are the only two games I would genuinely say ARE realistic. The Halo health system is a great detriment to realism. Take it from someone who has studied wounding ballistics, you take several 5.56 mm rounds to the chest and you will suffer MASSIVE hemoraging internally. COD 4 is a game designed to be fun, not realistic.

I'll agree that COD 4 is a very good, maybe even an excellent game but it is by no means the greatest FPS ever.
Pride_of_Scotland

Pro

The Battlefield games are totally different. BF games involve much more strategy and battlefield tactics, whereas in CoD4, you're more of a lone wolf. In the area of realism, Marines, SAS and possibly Spetsnaz would have body armor. I admit, it's annoying when you shoot someone with a Barett fifty and they don't die. I don't know about the XBox version, but on the PC version, they've released many patches that fix damage glitches. In CoD4 multiplayer, there is also a "Hardcore" mode, which removes your Heads-Up-Display and gives all weapons more damage. I like the hardcore mode better because it's more realistic and you don't really need your HUD much anyway. You don't really need games to be too realistic in terms of how much damage you receive on hits.

Also, I never said it was the greatest FPS ever. I stated in the title: "Call of Duty 4 is the Best First-Person-Shooter Currently on the Market". The single player isn't as deep as games like Bioshock and Portal, where those games are centered around the single player. But it surprised me and many others, I'm sure.

In conclusion, Call of Duty 4 has more customization than you can shake a stick at, a solid single player, and an extraordinary multiplayer.

Customization: As previously mentioned, the player can unlock 5 skins for each weapon (desert, woodland, digital, blue tiger, and red tiger), not to mention a special 'golden' skin when the player completes all of the weapon challenges in the weapons category. You can also complete marksman challenges and unlock red dot sights, silencers, grenade launchers, grips (for shotguns and LMGs) and ACOG scopes.

Single player: Just looking at the graphics will be enough to entice any gamer into CoD4 single player. Though it is often overlooked as a pure multiplayer game, the single player is pure fun, with everything from sniping to operating an AC-130 Spectre gunship.

Multiplayer: I believe I've made my point in this area.
happypancakeeater

Con

COD 4's multiplayer isn't as good as BF2 Red Orchestra or BE/ WWII Online. All of those games are on the market. You've conceded that it isn't as realistic nor is it's singleplayer as deep as Bioshock. The art direction isn't as good and the characters aren't as sophisticated. The AI isn't as good. It certainly isn't more creative than any game on the market. In conclusion, it is a very good linear rail shooter, but that is all it is. There are better looking games on the market and games that far surpass it in terms of gameplay. So, while it is good, it certainly isn't the best fps on the market.
Posted by acornco 4 years ago
acornco
so shouldnt this have been "cod is the best online multiplayer fps currently..." cod v. cs would have been interesting...
Posted by PryorPirate93 8 years ago
PryorPirate93
I AGREE WITH THE DUDE BEFORE ME...
Posted by HCPwns95 8 years ago
HCPwns95
My opinion:

There is really no BEST game, just good.

Some people enjoy War-like themes (CoD4) and some like strategy-like (Portal). Some like the sci fi adventures (Halo)

It REALLY depends on your play style.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
007 and perfect dark for 64 are still the best. Even if they are old enough to play themselves...
Posted by happypancakeeater 8 years ago
happypancakeeater
Add Red Orchestra: Ostfront to the list of games I consider realistic.
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
I have CoD3 for the Wii and I know CoD4 is out because my friend's kid brother asked me for it for his birthday.
Posted by PryorPirate93 8 years ago
PryorPirate93
They have CoD for the Wii!?!?!?!?!?! I need to get that!!!!
Posted by massvideogamer 8 years ago
massvideogamer
yeah! Go Wii! Hey, I didn't think they made it for the Wii tho, thats why I had to get it for the DS, which is pretty good
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
Sorry kiddos, I have to say the Wii version is the best ;)
Posted by PryorPirate93 8 years ago
PryorPirate93
CoD3 is better than the 4th one dude!!!!
And 360 will always be better than a PC!!!!!
Vote Placed by hauki20 7 years ago
hauki20
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by lawyer_in_training 8 years ago
lawyer_in_training
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by livi 8 years ago
livi
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by Converge 8 years ago
Converge
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by Tameric 8 years ago
Tameric
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by HCPwns95 8 years ago
HCPwns95
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by PryorPirate93 8 years ago
PryorPirate93
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by whitesoxfan450 8 years ago
whitesoxfan450
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by happypancakeeater 8 years ago
happypancakeeater
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied
Vote Placed by Captain.America 8 years ago
Captain.America
Pride_of_ScotlandhappypancakeeaterTied