annhasle
tvellalott

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare vs. Left 4 Dead

annhasle

annhasle

Pro

Welcome to the second installment of debates between tvellalott and myself. Hopefully there will be more to come! In light of my recent forfeit in our first debate, we decided to debate once again with a different resolution. And this is what we came up with:

I will be putting forth the argument(s) that the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series is a better First Person Shooter (FPS) series than the Left 4 Dead series.

Definitions:

Better: Greater in excellence or higher in quality [1]

The first round is merely for acceptance of definitions and terms. Arguments will begin in round 2. I ask that no new arguments be put forward in the final round.

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Let's begin!

Vote Pro.

tvellalott

Con

I accept your challenge Miss Hasle.
Let the games begin!

annhasle

Pro

Thank you for the reply, tvellalott. Now that we have agreed on the definitions and terms, let’s being

I want to start off with a clarification for the voters. We will not be focusing on a single platform (such as XBOX 360 or PC) but instead allow that all platforms be used within the debate. This allows us to cross verify the games on multiple levels and to truly analyze their competence for gamers.

>> PRO ARGUMENTS <<

GAMEPLAY:

1a. Weapon customization:

Unlike in other FPS games where you finally get the gun you want along with the perks needed to optimize its powers, only to lose it when you die – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare allows you to create the “Class” where you can obtain the gun and modifications needed for which ever level you are at, resembling features which are usually found in MMORPG. And to those who think, “Well, then you can dominate the lower levels with the high powered guns and it loses all technical difficulty”, you are wrong. It has a leveling system, so you must still win certain weapons and perks instead of starting out with the full selection. The five default classes include Assault, Spec Ops, Light Machine Gunner, Demolitions, and Sniper class. Create a class is unlocked when the user gains enough Experience Points to become a Lance Corporal in level 4 which is then earned by killing opponents. XP will also vary depending on the type of match the user is playing. Only three of the classes are available to a first time player; Demolitions and Sniper are unlocked as he/she gains more experience online and gains higher rank.

1b. Balance:

In many FPS games, the differences between the “low powered” and “high powered” weapons are incredible. How many times have you been stuck on a level to find the same pistol littered about but only one rocket launcher out of ammo? In Call of Duty: MW, the weapons are balanced enough to create versatility within the level while still being unique enough to create favorites. When asked what weapons are superior, there won’t be one weapon which springs to mind which is evident by the forum debates on gaming websites dedicated to that very topic. The M16 and RPD are definitely favored but they cannot be dubbed the best – it is simply too close to call. This creates more options within the level so you aren’t stuck with a knife and crappy pistol while searching for the bazooka.

2. Maps:

In CoD: MW, there are twenty maps total, including the variety packs which were released as add-ons. The sheer number and variety which comes along with this game keeps the Multi-player interesting for even longer. Try to find a favorite – I doubt you can. Why? Because each one adds something new to the game which is incomparable to other FPS.

3. Multi-player:

I am purposefully only focusing on CoD: MW2 for this contention due to the incomparable technical difficulty, the amazing graphics and the ongoing adrenaline-pumping excitement. In The first MW game, the multiplayer was a smash hit because of the adversarial multiplayer. Well, in the second installment of the series, they upgraded the experience even more. They added 17 maps which is unheard of simply because the usual amount is around 8-10. They added more class customizations, even more weapons and user-selected killstreaks. The definite favorite add to game though is the Special Ops. These are mini-missions which can be completed in about 10 min. or so. There are 23 of them, but don’t get too cocky. They become progressively harder as you move through the them so be prepared to see your body get blown up in a variety of ways. Which brings me to its best quality: variety! One mission will have you crouched in a small village, cruising for the sign of enemies to assassinate. And then the next will have you crouching past guards to somehow get to the checkpoint unseen – a substantial feat. And if you are going to spend hours in front of the TV or PC, it better look good. And it does – the visual splendor is unmet by any FPS which includes Left 4 Dead.

AWARDS:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

1. It was the top-selling game worldwide for 2007, selling under 7 million copies by January 19 and over 13 million by May 2009

2.
Both
GameSpot and GameTrailers gave CoD: MW the Best Graphics of E3 2007 award, the Best PlayStation 3 Game of 2007 award and later ranked it as the third best first-person shooter on its "Top 10 FPS Games Ever!" list.

3. It gained high praise from both video game magazine
GamePro and
GameSpy,having been named the Best Overall Game of 2007 by the former and Game of the Year by the latter.

4. Modern Warfare was awarded with the Academy of Video Games Awards
Game of the Year 2007 Award. The readers of PlayStation Official Magazine voted it the 7th greatest PlayStation title ever released.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2:

1. Review aggregator Metacritic holds the average review for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game at 94%, while the PC version is at 85%.

2. At the 2009 Spike Video Game Awards, Modern Warfare 2 received the Best Shooter and Best Multiplayer awards.

3. GameTrailers
gave it six awards, including Overall Game of the Year.

SALES:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

1. the Xbox 360 version became the best-selling video game in the United States from November 2007 to January 2008 according to the NPD Group.

2.
In the US, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions sold 1.57 million and 444,000 units, respectively, in November 2007; 1.47 million units of the Xbox 360 version were sold in December 2007; the game sold 331,000 copies for the Xbox 360 and 140,000 copies for the PlayStation 3 in January 2008.

3.
By January 2008, Call of Duty 4 had sold more than 7 million copies worldwide, and was the best-selling game of 2007. On June 3, 2008, Infinity Ward reported that Call of Duty 4 had sold over 10 million units

4.
During a May 2009 conference call, Activision announced that the game has sold 13 million copies, surpassing Super Mario Galaxy as the best-selling game released that week of November 2007.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

1.
According to preliminary sales figures from Activision, Modern Warfare 2 sold approximately 4.7 million units in both the United States and the UK in the first 24 hours of its release.

2.
The total revenue from first day sales in the U.S. and the UK was $310 million, making Modern Warfare 2 the biggest entertainment launch in history, surpassing in revenue its predecessor, Grand Theft Auto IV as well as items from other media types.

3. Activision also claims that Modern Warfare 2 had 8 million players online within the first five days, constituting the largest 'army' of players in the world.[90] On March 8, 2010, Robert Bowling announced that the game had amassed 25 million unique players.

4. Anita Frazer of the NPD Group reported in March 2010 that the game had sold slightly under 10 million copies in the U.S. alone.

** all facts came from:

CONCLUSION:

In summary, this series has not only cemented itself in history as the top FPS series through its reception, awards and sales but it has also won over millions of Americans, Europeans, Asians and Australians with its incredible visions, complex maps, difficult terrain, exciting gameplay, diverse weaponry and thrilling competition. I will await my opponents arguments for the series he is advocating but until then, bask in the glory that is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Resolution Affirmed.
Vote Pro.

tvellalott

Con

Thank you to Ann for submitting herself to my zombie horde. I hope you have a pipe bomb. ^_-

REBUTTALS

I’m dropping a few points here, but I’ll make up for them with counter-arguments. Given the completely different nature of the two games, there are going to be some incompatibilities.

GAMEPLAY

MAPS

The original L4D package came with 4 campaigns; L4D2 came with 5.
Each map features several huge maps where the survivors must travel from a safe point on one side of the map to the other; each map features alternate routes and hidden areas. There is no way COD:MW has an advantage here.

MULTIPLAYER
And no matter what they add, they cannot balance the game to accommodate newbs and vets playing together. There is nothing particularly fun about joining your first game of COD online and getting shot in the back 30 times in a row, which is almost exactly my experience. I’ve been playing for weeks now and I’m only marginally closer to having a 1:1 Kill/Death ratio.
This is not the case with L4D. The excellent range of difficulty levels allows newbs to find a game they can pwn in and vets to find the challenge they desire. Furthermore, with realism, versus and scavenge modes there are many levels of variety and skill that can satisfy any level of gamer.

AWARDS AND SALES

I concede that COD:MW is a more popular game. It received more awards and made more sales. This isn’t to say that L4D wasn’t critically acclaimed or extremely profitable, just that it is less so than COD.

ARGUMENTS

STORY – The Zombie Apocalypse

For those of you unfamiliar with L4D, it breaks down like this: You play one of four survivors (each with a unique personality) in the zombie apocalypse, trying to get to safety through hordes of the undead and worse. Sure, many games have dealt with zombies before but none like this. This feels exactly like I imagine the zombie apocalypse would feel. COD:MW is very good, but it hardly revolutionises the FEEL of the war game, only the mechanics. The storyline isn’t better than any Metal of Honour game.

CONTENT – Mutations

Every single week Valve implements a set of experimental game rules, called mutations. This means that week in, week out L4D2 players can try something they’ve never tried before. These mutations are voted for any the most popular ones are encored again the next week. Clearly this is going to help L4D3 become superior to L4D2; Valve clearly cares about making the game fresh and giving the people what they want.

CONCLUSION

P1) There are more zombies in L4D than COD:MW.
P2) Zombies make EVERYTHING better.
C) L4D > COD:MW
annhasle

Pro

Thank you to tvellalott for his response. He will now be crushed by the amazingness which is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. :)

REBUTTALS

MAPS
“There is no way COD:MW has an advantage here.”

Think again! Call of Duty: MW2 came with two different packages and each had 5 maps. One of the maps is even an abandoned Amusement park (called Carnival). The favorites of the plays though is Crash and Overgrown – both involve the use of Snipers in long range shots.

MULTIPLAYER
“And no matter what they add, they cannot balance the game to accommodate newbs and vets playing together.”

Take it as incentive to play more until you can pwn as well. Online the game isn’t really responsible for teaming up newbs in one game and the veterans in another. It does what it does well by delivering all the action you crave and enough fun to keep coming back. You say it isn’t particularly fun to get shot 30 times in your first online game. Well, play in the missions and get some tactical skills before playing online. Plus, the fact that you have still played after your not-so-happy first encounter with CoD online shows that it’s still fun enough to come back to.

STORY – The Zombie Apocalypse

“COD:MW is very good, but it hardly revolutionises the FEEL of the war game, only the mechanics. The storyline isn’t better than any Metal of Honour game.”

Not true. Modern Warfare is critically acclaimed as THE best war series. [1] It revolutionized war gameplay, the realness in the graphics, and brought the missions to new levels of pure, stunning awesomeness.

CONTENT – Mutations

“Every single week Valve implements a set of experimental game rules, called mutations.”

I will concede that Activision does not try experimental game rules on its PC version. Luckily, the game is difficult enough to keep players interested without constantly changing the gameplay.

CONCLUSION

P1) There are better graphics, more difficult missions, stronger weapons and more maps in CoD:MW.
P2) P1 is the basis for an amazing game.
C) COD:MW > L4D

Resolution Affirmed.

Vote Pro.

[1] http://coedmagazine.com...

tvellalott

Con

bbBrraaiiiiNNss….

REBUTTALS

“Think again! Call of Duty: MW2 came with two different packages and each had 5 maps.”

As I previously stated, L4D2 came with 5 levels, each with 4-5 maps. That’s 20-25 maps. Each one is different, there is no monotony. L4D2 also had a level called ‘Dark Carnival’. It has freaky clown zombies; their noses squeak and attract more zombies.

“Take it as incentive to play more until you can pwn as well. Online the game isn’t really responsible for teaming up newbs in one game and the veterans in another.”

I agree to some extent. However, my point was that L4D is both more newb friendly but also offers extreme challenges to veteran players. The fact remains that in this regard, L4D has the advantage. Let me reiterate:
  • First time you play COD: Get shot in the back 30 times in a row.
  • First time you play L4D: Play an easier mode, pwn 200 zombies like a pro.

“Not true. Modern Warfare is critically acclaimed as THE best war series. [1] It revolutionized war gameplay, the realness in the graphics, and brought the missions to new levels of pure, stunning awesomeness.”

Ok, I’ll give you war gameplay and graphics but not story. Story-wise, it is pretty standard. There isn’t much you can do with a realistic war game after all. L4D on the other hand is intentionally designed to play out like a post-apocalyptic zombie gore-fest. It's simply more fun.

CONCLUSION

-L4D offers a much wider range of challenge, catering for newbs and vets.
-L4D plays out like a zombie movie; everyone loves zombies.

Vote CON

annhasle

Pro

Thanks for the reply, TV. Sadly this is the last round but it won't be our last debate! I look forward to one about Punk music now. :)

MAPS:
“As I previously stated, L4D2 came with 5 levels, each with 4-5 maps. That’s 20-25 maps.”

Combined, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has 20 maps. That’s the same as Left 4 Dead so even though Call of Duty might not have the advantage, it is in no way at a loss in this category.

n00bs?

“First time you play COD:Get shot in the back 30 times in a row.
First time you play L4D:Play an easier mode, pwn 200 zombies like a pro.”

I disagree to an extent. The chance of you being shot 30 times in a row is entirely dependent on the game you join and who you are competing with. Plus, what’s stopping the n00b from playing Campaign on an easier mode so they can learn how to play well before joining the online action? If the n00b has any sort of intelligence, he/she will practice before getting onto Xbox live.

PLOT:

“Story-wise, [COD] is pretty standard. There isn’t much you can do with a realistic war game after all. L4D on the other hand is intentionally designed to play out like a post-apocalyptic zombie gore-fest.”

And how has Left 4 Dead revolutionized the plot? Here’s a list of all the zombie video games: http://en.wikipedia.org...
You’ll notice that there are 71 games there (not counting the unreleased and cancelled) with some even dating back to the late ‘80’s. The point is, a zombie apocalypse is not an original idea. At all. So at least Call of Duty revolutionized gameplay and graphics which counts.

CONCLUSION

- Call of Duty is still superior in graphics, gameplay, weapons and missions.
- Call of Duty revolutionized its particular genre while L4D merely rehashed the same ‘ole story with the same ‘ole graphics.

Cod: MW > L4D

Vote PRO

tvellalott

Con

tvellalott forfeited this round.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
Sorry about this ann. Feeling really stupid at the moment.
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
Aww.... :(
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
Haha, you say that before knowing how much I consume... ^_^
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
No such thing. Enough to die is just enough.
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
Lol, don't worry. My 3rd round will most likely suck... I'm celebrating this weekend which means I'm drinking and smoking. A lot. Too much, probably. :D
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
I've been on a three-day bender, which is why my response wasn't very good. I forgot my main argument, lol.
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
I shall demolish you.... Tomorrow. When I'm not drunk. xP
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
Sh!t, I better do this. :P
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
I was forced to move back in recently after my heart attack >.>

Well, my family suffers from psychosis and are the least caring people you'll ever meet. My dad wants me to struggle so I think he enjoys it. Sadistic bastard. Lol. I feel sorry for Danielle if she also has a dad like that... :)
Posted by Vi_Veri 6 years ago
Vi_Veri
He sounds just like Danielle's dad lol - why do both your fathers feel the need to watch their daughters struggle? I'll never understand it fully, I guess XD
Vote Placed by socialpinko 6 years ago
socialpinko
annhasletvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by TUF 6 years ago
TUF
annhasletvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: VIA forfeit.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
annhasletvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit dropped arguments.