TheFirst
Lord_Logic

Calvin and Hobbes vs. Garfield

TheFirst

Con

My first debate.

I will be for Garfield and against Calvin and Hobbes.

Pro may go first.
Lord_Logic

Pro

Welcome to Debate.org. I congratulate you for making a debate that is delightful. However, let's get started to the debate.

I believe the resolution is: Calvin and Hobbes is better than Garfield.
Lord_Logic/Pro's job: Calvin and Hobbes is better than Garfield.
TheFirst/Con's job: Negate the resolution.

Let me just say straight off the bat that both comics are very well-written and hilarious.

Contention 1

Calvin and Hobbes is more realistic. "Calvin is impulsive, creative, imaginative, energetic, curious, intelligent, hypocritical, selfish, rude, and an ill-tempered six-year-old," ~ {1}. Of course, Calvin is a human being and is the main protagonist along with Hobbes. Garfield, on the other hand, is less realistic. Take for example, page 36 on Garfield Potbelly of Gold. {2}. Odie could never survive a full face slam into the wall that cracked the wall. He appears healthy and without any brain damage one day later. That would never happen to any dog. Calvin and Hobbes revolves around the real world. Such examples are the dad raking, Calvin in a play, etc. Therefore, Calvin and Hobbes is more realistic.

Contention 2

Calvin and Hobbes books are being used for teaching. {1}. Garfield is not. Calvin and Hobbes is thus better because it can be used for teaching. As readers of Calvin and Hobbes state, Calvin and Hobbes is like a psychology book. You must think hard about a comic to understand its meaning.

Contention 3

Calvin and Hobbes is much more imaginative than Garfield. Calvin and Hobbes create Calvinball, which can be played by kids if they want to, G.R.O.S.S, Spaceman Spiff, Tracer Bullet, and Stupendous man. Of course, people at debate.org like UnStupendousMan love Calvin and Hobbes. I have not seen a debate.org account that has a picture of Garfield. {3}.

==> Conclusion

I feel that these three contentions should be enough for Round 1. Because the debate lasts five rounds, I await my opponents response. Go Calvin and Hobbes!.

{1} http://en.wikipedia.org...
{2} Garfield: Potbelly of Gold
{3} http://www.debate.org...
TheFirst

Con

TheFirst forfeited this round.
Lord_Logic

Pro

Extend all arguments.
TheFirst

Con

Sorry for coming back so late. I was busy with my family over New Year. I also just got a piano yesterday! Would you mind if you skip round three? I would love it if you did. It's 12:03 now so I won't be able to finish my arguments. Sorry for the delay and forfeiting Round 2!
Lord_Logic

Pro

No problems. Have fun with your family? Congratz on your new piano! Sure, I will skip round three for you. Glad that you came back!
TheFirst

Con

TheFirst forfeited this round.
Lord_Logic

Pro

Lord_Logic forfeited this round.
TheFirst

Con

TheFirst forfeited this round.
Lord_Logic

Pro

Lord_Logic forfeited this round.
Posted by Lord_Logic 5 years ago
Lord_Logic
This seems like a fun debate.