Paradox_7
Archistrategos

Calvinism: The most plausible biblical doctrine

Paradox_7

Pro

==Resolved==

Calvinism is the most plausible doctrine portrayed in the bible.

==Definitions==

Calvinism[1][2] (Reformed theology) - Best summarized by the acronym TULIP.

Total Depravity - Man is utterly and completely sinful
Unconditional election - God's grace is given freely
Limited atonement - Only some are chosen
Iirresistible grace - Those who are chosen cannot resist God
Perseverance of the saints - A person who is chosen cannot lose their salvation

==Rules==

1R. Acceptance / defining terms
2R. Opening statements(Pro) / Rebuttals (Con)
3R. Rebuttals / questions
4R. Conclusions / Final rebuttals / No new arguments

For this debate we will be assuming the bible is true, and that it cannot contradict itself (which it can't ;])

Let's get it on!

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]http://www.reformed.org...
Archistrategos

Con

Thank you for the invite and opportunity Paradox_7! Not sure of protocol..... so I'll dive right in!

1: Refutation of total depravity: Ezek 28:15 15 "You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you." Here we have the King of Tyre described as blameless in his ways until wickedness was found in him. I propose it is reasonable to assume it was not the day of his birth.

Also Matthew 18:1-3
18 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Why would Jesus use an infant as a model for citizenship in the Kingdom of Heaven if it was totally depraved? I propose that all men are good natured as an infant and only through acting as the world acts do we fall from grace. (Usually in response to trauma we had no control or choice in and thus we are still innocent though we error...God is all merciful and perfectly just.)

2: Refutation of Unconditional election: 1 Timothy 2:3-4 "This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." I propose that God cannot contradict Himself. He cannot desire all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of truth and pre-make them to receive His wrath.

3: Refutation of limited atonement: 1 John 2:1 "My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world." I propose that the whole world includes everyone on earth.

4: Refutation of irresistible grace; Refutation of dogma: Rev 22:17 "Whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." I propose that the water life must be chosen as well by the person. God offers it freely to whomever wills. Also Act 7:51 "You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!" Holy Spirit is being resisted.

Addendum to #4; Support of God's irresistibly: I propose that God's grace and power is ultimately irresistible to all....there is nowhere one can escape from God. Psalms 138:9 "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there." Addendum 2: God desires an intimate relationship with us and there is no need or reason to resist. Hosea 2:16 "And in that day, declares the LORD, you will call me "My Husband," and no longer will you call me my master, 'Ba'al."

5: Refutation of preservation of the saints: 1 Cor. 9:27 "But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." I propose that Paul knew that if he acted in sin, even though he was saved, it would disqualify him.
Paradox_7

Pro

Paradox_7 forfeited this round.
Archistrategos

Con

mutual forfeit
Paradox_7

Pro

Paradox_7 forfeited this round.
Archistrategos

Con

Archistrategos forfeited this round.
Paradox_7

Pro

Paradox_7 forfeited this round.
Archistrategos

Con

Archistrategos forfeited this round.
Posted by Archistrategos 5 years ago
Archistrategos
Thanks bro! And up the learning curve I march!
Posted by Paradox_7 5 years ago
Paradox_7
Lol, it's okay. usually the first round from CON is simply saying "I accept", so I can just continue with my opening statements and include a consideration of your initial contentions.

I'll have my argument up soon.
Posted by Archistrategos 5 years ago
Archistrategos
If you can/want, restart the debate and I will follow the outline you provided....though you now know my arguments! Que sera, sera....=)
Posted by Archistrategos 5 years ago
Archistrategos
I jumped the gun, sorry guys, got all exited and missed the rules....*puts on newb hat*