Garet
Arnold_Benjaman

Cam Newton shouldn't have won the MVP award.

Garet
Started: 3/7/2016 Category: Sports

Garet

Pro

I don't believe Cam Newton deserved to win the MVP ( most valuable player ) award. I think there was a few others in the running that should have one instead of him.
Arnold_Benjaman

Con

Hello,
I believe that Cam Newton does deserve the MVP award, as he has had a phenomenal season in the NFL. He deserves it as much as Hillary Clinton deserves jailtime because of her crimes against the united states. Ever since Bill had pounded Monica, Hillary has not been the same.

Arnold
PhD History and Literature
Garet

Pro

So by most valuable, that usually means that without him in the line up, that team would lose. I believe the defense carried Cam throughout the season and he didn't have as great an impact on his team as a couple of other quarterbacks, like Tom Brady or Russell Wilson. I believe both of those quarterbacks carried their perspective teams on their shoulders and wouldn't have won as many games if they weren't playing as MVP's. I do believe Cam had a break out year but I don't think he carried his team. MVP on his team but not of the league, he was 3rd at best.
Arnold_Benjaman

Con

Arnold_Benjaman forfeited this round.
Garet

Pro

Cam got lucky with a bunch of wins because the defense set them up to score points. Carolina had 24 int and 15 fumbles while only giving away 10 int and 9 fumbles to have a +20 on the give/takeaways, 1st place. Carolina's defense was first place in the league for int and fumbles for takeaways. Cam had an easier schedule and didn't play any of the top teams. They played 4 playoff teams out of the 16 teams they played, two of which had a 9-7 record and the other two were 10-6. They actually lost to a team that was 7-7, Atlanta. Seattle actually played against 7 teams with better record or same as, out of the 16 games played. After going 2-4 with a loss to Carolina, Russell Wilson was on fire and got his team to the playoffs when they were counted out. Tom Brady played against 6 teams over .500 and 3 teams at .500 with a hurt core of receivers. Patriots would have been in the super bowl if they hadn't had so many injuries to make them lose home field advantage. The ability to win so many games with weak receivers is MVP to the core.
Arnold_Benjaman

Con

Hello,
kys.
Arnold
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
One last point...

4. Ripping on Carolina for losing to a 7-7 Atlanta team is ridiculous to me. The Carolina Panthers went 15-1. Only one team in NFL history (2007 Patriots) finished the regular season 16-0. Therefore dropping one game is nothing to be ashamed of.

Not to mention you're making it sound like the Atlanta Falcons were just some random scrub. That was a ROAD GAME played at a DIVISION RIVAL. And it was a close game. The Panthers only lost by one possession.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
I completely believe that Cam Newton deserved the MVP award in 2015 and I don't even think it was close.

1. You're arguing that Cam Newton benefited from Carolina's defense. And then offer up Russell Wilson as an alternate? Seattle's defense is just as good, arguably better, than Carolina's.

2. While I get that attempting to point out that the Panthers defense forced a high number of turnovers... you're using their turnover margin and essentially pointing out that Carolina only threw 10 interceptions all season... and holding that AGAINST Cam Newton. That's insanity. Who's throwing the ball - who's limiting the interceptions? Cam Newton is.

3. I've seen the Tom Brady should have won the MVP over Cam Newton argument before - on a biased New England Patriots sports site. But I don't buy it. Here's Tom Brady's passing numbers 36 TD, 7 INT, 102.2 passer rating. Cam Newton put up very similar passing numbers 35 TD, 10 INT, 99.4 rating. However, here's the kicker... Cam also put up 10 rushing touchdowns and 600+ rushing yards. (Brady only had 3 rushing TDs and 53 rushing yards, for comparison's sake)

That's the big piece that critics conveniently ignore - Cam Newton's rushing numbers. In total, Cam combined for 45 touchdowns last year.

Additionally, Cam had a completely garbage receiving corp. His star receiver Kelvin Benjamin spent the entire season on IR. So Cam was forced to play with lackluster rookie Devin Funchess and career journeyman Ted Ginn Jr. Speaking of which, Ted Ginn Jr actually had the best statistical season of his career in 2015 - IOW, Cam Newton made Ginn look good. And you know your receiving corp is weak when your tight end (Greg Olsen) is your leading receiving target.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
GaretArnold_BenjamanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I completely disagree with Pro but for the purposes of the debate... it's impossible to vote against him. The only relevant statement that Con provided was that Cam had a phenomenal season, with no elaboration. Pro argues that Carolina's defense (which I agree, was impressive) made Cam's job easier. He also pointed out Carolina's easy schedule contributing to an impressive win total and offered potential alternate MVP options. Therefore Pro had the more convincing arguments and I am voting for him. However, I completely disagree and I'll take to the comment section.