coolguy798
I-AM-AWESOME

Can America Afford to go Green?

coolguy798

Con

This will be a debate about if America can afford going green. I feel that America could not afford it because it is in debt, and our taxpayer's money would not help the situation.
I-AM-AWESOME

Pro

We can afford to go green it may be a slow process butt we still can do it. I mean o be real if we cut our military spending just by 10% (it is 50% of our budget.) than we can at least start making progress and we won't even have to spend that remaining money on energy we could also spend i on eduacation or to help people get out of poverty. I know that it will be slow but we can always afford to go green. Here is my last statement of this round, look how great the majority of our schools are and that is only 2% of our budget.
coolguy798

Con

Last year, for the first time, China surpassed the US in terms of total dollar investments in clean energy. America now ranks an unimpressive 10 on a list of countries ranked by clean energy capacity installed since 2006. It doesn't even make the top 10 lists for clean energy investment growth in the past five years. President Obama is on his way to killing the coal industry in the United States. Before Barack Obama became President he was quoted, stating that he would, "bankrupt the coal industry." The United Mining Association states that 50% of electricity used in the United States comes from coal. To put that into perspective according to UMA each person in the United States consumes 3.4 tons of coal in a year. The United Mining Association states that the demand for coal in 2010 was 1.05 billion tons, and ninety percent of that coal was used in the United States. The United States has the most coal reserves in the world with Russia second, and China third. Coal is the cheapest source of electricity in the United States. UMA argues that for every employee in the coal industry that Obama puts out of work, another 3.5 individuals will lose their jobs somewhere else in the American economy. The American people are not ready to lose thousands of jobs and pay billions more for energy just so the President can tell the United Nations that he is doing everything in his power to meet expectations for carbon emissions. The President first should worry about the coal workers and the national debt of seventeen trillion dollars before he worries about the United Nations and the international community. Does it really matter if the President must tell the United Nations that he can"t meet the seventeen percent drop in carbon emissions that was promised?
I-AM-AWESOME

Pro

I live in Texas I know for sure how well the coal industry is doing, I have a friend and his dad works at the coal industry and he is doing fine President Barack Obama is not bankrupting our coal industry. Carbon emissions are a big deal though here is why. It has created a layer that traps in sun rays which is heating our planet up. If you respond saying well where I live it has gotten colder. That is because of the polar vortex. Yeah it sounds really stupid and made up but it exists. Here is how, the heat from the south goes down into the vortex on the south pole causing it to heat up ALOT during the summer, while the cold from the north goes up into the northern poler vortex causing it to get colder in the winter. I await your response. Thank you.
coolguy798

Con

coolguy798 forfeited this round.
I-AM-AWESOME

Pro

We can't not afford to go green. Thank you
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
So many problems can be solved by cutting military spending.
Posted by coolguy798 3 years ago
coolguy798
In addition, if the government gets out of its debt to China, then it would allow more spending, and allow funding to all companies when they decide to go green.
Posted by coolguy798 3 years ago
coolguy798
The way the government is structured, I agree with you. But, if the world were to make that sacrifice to make profit, we could be living in a better world.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Not with capitalism. All changes would be minor compared to the structural violence against the world in the capitalistic system, in which nonhumans and humans become commodities to be sold and bought. In the status quo it is illegal for companies to "go green" if it doesn't maximize profits--stockholders can sue. Therefore, companies will gladly claim to be good for the environment, but they will never take the extra step to sacrifice profit. Since profit and the environment will eventually butt heads, this underlying system must be restructured to access real environmental change.