manofrose
imabench

Can Bohemian Rhapsody be considered the "Greatest song of all time?"

imabench
Started: 9/17/2013 Category: Music

manofrose

Pro

I believe that Bohemian Rhapsody is the greatest song of all time because Queen is freaking awesome! But Bohemian Rhapsody produced a sound that has rarely been recreated. It is a legendary piece of music due to the progression it makes and its seclusion right back to where it began. It starts with the boy questioning many things. "Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?" An amazing philosophical question that basically asks, "Are we truly living, or are we being manipulated by other beings?" Next he continues with "Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality" basically meaning no interpretation is not frowned upon due to a landslide of people living on with their lives. "Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see" meaning that interpretation is encouraged, that religion should be used and questioning should still also remain intact. "I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy" is actually an early introduction to this boy we will hear about later. "Because it's easy come, easy go, little high, little low" meaning the moral code does not ask for sympathy in his situation (which will again be described later) and life is basically lived as such, high points and low points and progression. "Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me" is again his conformity being expressed to society. then a musical transition is introduced, by introducing a beautiful, light piano melody. "Mama, just killed a man, put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger now he's dead" is all its literal meaning from a story telling standpoint. "Mama life had just begun, but now I've gone and thrown it all away" is again literal, by killing the man he is now dealing with imprisonment and decaying of his inner sanity as he is explaining there is no more of a life to live. "Mama, ooh, Didn't mean to make you cry If I'm not back again this time tomorrow, Carry on, carry on as if nothing really matters". First off at a musical standpoint it is amazing through just this many lines how the musical tonality and aggression and heart and soul can raise ever so quickly then drop back down. The lyrical interpretation I receive from this is dealing with the harsh bitter reality that she must carry on, as there is no way he can physically come back to her. "Too late, my time has come, Sent shivers down my spine, Body's aching all the time". This shows a continuation from where we left off, how he has now been dealing with the harsh reality and accepted it "my time has come". "Goodbye everybody, I've got to go, Got to leave you all behind to face the truth" is a very deep line. He has now accepted his death in its entirety and must face the truth. Because truly everything reigns true in our physical life due to our advancement in understanding except death, because once you experience it there is no way to recall. Again the music slowly builds up to another great mountain like moment. "Mama, ooh (any way the wind blows), I don't wanna die, I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all." This line lyrically is very realistic but I do find the "wind blows" line quite interesting being added into this part. Maybe it could be his afterlife calling for him to accept his fate as he does in the beginning of the song, which I will get to later. Without this section, this song wouldn't be anything but a rock ballad. The music slowly continues on with a guitar riff until it is suddenly stopped and Freddie Mercury's vocals are unveiled. "I see a little silhouetto of a man" meaning he sees a shadow of himself as he is not very bright. "Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?" Scaramouche was an old Italian folklore character usually described as a clown and the fandango is a silly dance. "Thunderbolt and lightning, Very, very frightening me." is simply him being scared of all this prosecution. "(Galileo) Galileo. (Galileo) Galileo, Galileo Figaro Magnifico." Galileo was very prosecuted in his time so it can be relating to him or being specifically Galileo as the narrator of this song." I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me. He's just a poor boy from a poor family, Spare him his life from this monstrosity." This is the supporting side of the narrator agreeing to let him go, that his punishment is underserved because he wasn't given the choice to be born into a poor family. "Easy come, easy go, will you let me go?
Bismillah! No, we will not let you go.
(Let him go!) Bismillah! We will not let you go.
(Let me go) Will not let you go.
(Let me go) Will not let you go.
(Never, never, never let me go) Ah.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
(Oh, mama mia, mama mia) Mama mia, let me go.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me."
This is the ongoing argument again over whether he should be let go where they are expressing full intent to let go or for him to stay and suffer for his actions. Then the real rock and roll comes into play when the note is released and the guitar and drums implode like a bomb explosion leading into a heavy rock performace. "So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?
So you think you can love me and leave me to die?
Oh, baby, can't do this to me, baby,
Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here." This is basically the narrators adrenaline pumping in to where he is upset with the world and he it has forced him into this position. After this section another guitar riff is played and then it slowly dies down after progressing through a ballad, a opera, and a pure rock and roll. "Nothing really matters,
Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters,
Nothing really matters to me.

Any way the wind blows." This gives the most heartfelt impact on the listener due to its delivery. The boy has had enough and has now finally accepted everything coming towards him into his venture into impending death. He is now finally explaining that "nothing really matters" or at least his opinion on the matter. And then a pause is led into effect as the piano shows regression and decrease in tempo for the final line, "Anyway the wind blows.", the final offering from the boy. I solely believe that this song can be interpreted in two different ways from a deeper standpoint. I agree with the most common theory that it could be about lead singer, Freddie Mercury's, battle with the acceptance of his homosexuality in society. But I actually believe this song can be contributed also to the fact that there is recreation or life after death. If you did indeed replay this song, could you disapprove of the fact that these questions could have been asked before and that the transition could've been flawless. That maybe infact he again is explaining his views on everything while the angels or whatever god is up there explaining "Open your eyes look up to the skies"? Just the fact that a song can make you think like this is beautiful. The only other song that could compete with this musically could be Stairway to Heaven due to its phrasing but even then it does not include as much of an amazing transition as Bohemian Rhapsody does.
imabench

Con

Sorry it took so long, internet at UM has been completely non-existent due to storm problems....

Anyways, Pro's argument for why its the best song of all time is based entirely on his own opinion, which can be applied to just about every good song ever made to make it seem like the best ever. He then spends his entire first round giving a bullsh** line by line dissection of the song which leads us to nowhere.

The only tangible proof/numbers used to calculate what the best song is varies, but no matter how you measure it, Bohemian Rhapsody isnt even close to being the best ever.

1 - When you look at the best-selling singles of all time, Bohemian Rhapsody doesnt even make the top 100

2 - When you look at the critical reception of the song itself when it was released, it was FAR from universal acclaim. In fact a lot of critics thought the song sucked

3 - It didnt win a single Grammy Award for anything, which is one of th estaples that really defines whether a song is even good or not. The fact that B.H. was only nominated for TWO and LOST BOTH of them strongly implies that its not even close to being the greatest song of all time.

4 - In 2002 a poll in Britain, BH only came in TENTH for best song (theres an a**load of other polls where the song didnt come close to being in the top ten, let alone number 1)
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

So basically, BH falls FAR short of being the best song of all time, if anything its the song of the 1970's.
manofrose

Pro

My kind (or shall I say unkind sir) for whether you like it or not everything debated ever is based solely off opinions. If there was a conformity of a factual truthful answer to every problem in the world maybe your rude comments would help up just the slightest. To restate what I said in the beginning of my statement, when I say "Greatest song of all time" I am also referring that of such which is made by a band/individual in the most recent of time (past century). And I would like to think my line to line dissection wasn't pointless, it was a somewhat accurate description of the meaning behind a very powerful song, sung by one of the greatest vocalists of all time ( which really isn't arguable that Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest vocalists to ever exist) and also the fact that my interpretation is really too deep into is really for my own philosophical benefit, I really think this song also could portray lyrically Freddie's struggle with being a homosexual in society, which included his death due to AIDS, makes this song very much emotionally stronger. And then your introduction of statistics. I can understand what you're saying but statistics really has nothing to prove with the quality of a song. We can't stop does not deserve as much credit as other music that is being made by other artists, but since it is statistically making more "money" should we consider it a better song? I think logically the answer is no to that. Pertaining to your list choice, I see Flo-Rida is on the list 5 times for best singles, so you're saying that makes him one of the greatest musical artists to ever live? No, because music is based on the quality and the richness of its sound and message. No one listens to song and thinks "Wow statistically this is a great song" I also find interesting that you say that since it never won a Grammy it is not good, but perhaps you forgot to read "In 2004 the song was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame." But I thought since we are bringing up statistics I could include some as well, even though again I don't think judging by statistics is a good way to judge quality of music.
1. As of 2004, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the second most played song on British radio, in clubs and on jukeboxes collectively, after Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale"
2. On 30 September 2007 on the Radio 1 Chart Show, for BBC Radio 1's 40th birthday, it was revealed that "Bohemian Rhapsody" was the most played song since Radio 1's launch.
3. In 2012, the song topped an ITV poll in the UK to find 'The Nation's Favourite Number One' over 60 years of music, ahead of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" (No.2), Adele's "Someone like You" (No.3), Oasis' "Don't Look Back in Anger" (No.4) and The Beatles' "Hey Jude" (No.5).
4.The song also has been included to RadioMafia's list of "Top 500 Songs" and it took place at number 5
5.In 2000 it came second to "Imagine" by John Lennon in a Channel 4 television poll of The 100 Best Number 1s
6. In 1999, the annual "Top 2000" poll commenced to find the best songs ever made, and "Bohemian Rhapsody" has been ranked number one in all but two years (2005 and 2010 when it was number two)
And so on, and so on
But I would like to bring up the point of the title of this debate, "Can Bohemian Rhapsody be considered the Greatest song of all time", Can is a key word, Can it be considered not is it the greatest song of time, meaning lets just say you made a list of the top 10 songs at least in the century that can be considered the greatest, could it be on that list? And please sir do not use statistics to argue a point about music, I actually welcome you to discuss your opinion of the greatest song ever. Also if you are interested in statistics perhaps you could consider the 1.9 billion people that tuned in to see Queen perform at Live Aid on July 13th,1985, or you can just watch the video yourself whichever suits you.
imabench

Con

"everything debated ever is based solely off opinions"

Yes but whether or not something is right or not is NOT based solely off of opinions, which is exactly what your argument consists entirely of, opinions.

"And I would like to think my line to line dissection wasn't pointless"

Well you can think that but it would be stupid of you to do so..... Your 'dissection' was completely worthless and simply a waste of anyone who even read your analysis's time...... Sorry to break it to you.

"I can understand what you're saying but statistics really has nothing to prove with the quality of a song."

It kinda does though...... A song cant be the greatest song of all time if all the evidence in the world shows that the vast majority of people prefer different songs as their favorite and that a vast majority of people dont even buy the song in the first place.

"music is based on the quality and the richness of its sound and message"

When youre done with substituting your bs opinion as fact based on no evidence at all, let me know.

"I also find interesting that you say that since it never won a Grammy it is not good"

I said that since it never won a grammy it cant possibly be the greatest song of all time...... Please learn to read

"As of 2004, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the second most played song on British radio"

So in a single country the song still loses to another song on what is the most played....... Thats an argument for why its not the greatest song of all time

"On 30 September 2007 on the Radio 1 Chart Show, for BBC Radio 1's 40th birthday, it was revealed that "Bohemian Rhapsody" was the most played song since Radio 1's launch."

One radio in one channel in one country doesnt decide what is or isnt the greatest song ever is......

"In 2012, the song topped an ITV poll in the UK......."

Can you please give evidence of the song's greatness that isnt based out of England?

"The song also has been included to RadioMafia's list of "Top 500 Songs" and it took place at number 5"

Which means that there are four songs better than it, meaning its not the greatest song of all time......

"In 2000 it came second to"

Second = Not first = not greatest of all time.

"And please sir do not use statistics to argue a point about music"

Just because statistics completely blow your argument out of the water it doesnt mean they dont count..... All my points showing that Bohemian Rhapsody is clearly not the greatest song of all time are valid since it actually shows and gives evidence that the song is not the greatest of all time.

Extend all dropped arguments
manofrose

Pro

You did in fact completely disregard my strongest points. My question clearly stated "Can bohemian rhapsody be Considered the greatest song of all time" so actually in fact anybody who tries to fight against this argument is incorrect because any song can be considered the greatest of all time, so in turn just because it does not hit #1 in every aspect of the music critic based world does not automatically disapprove of it as not being able to be considered the greatest of all time, I know statistically there is not 1 song that could possibly top every chart and list that includes statistics of some sort so if was to argue that i couldn't which in turn makes some of your arguments irrelevant. And also I don't get what it is with your ego but trying to make points such as my analysis was pointless something like that you can keep to your mean spirited self. But truly I do understand that I am losing a fighting battle by not including the best selling single ever as the greatest of all time, even though it can only be considered as "the most purchased single of all time" but yes this is a very hard issue to argue, but truly in my heart I believe that bohemian rhaposdy is really just an amazing thing, it's one of those songs that really changed music and gave artists and people inspiration, and the fact that it was sung by "the greatest frontman of all time" and crafted together to become a music staple and masterpiece that is something you can't argue. Logically I understand your point of the argument but bohemian rhaposdy is just too important to music itself.
imabench

Con

"....... any song can be considered the greatest of all time"

Stop.

It is certainly not true that any song can be considered the greatest of all time..... In fact anyone who thinks that anything ever made by Nicki Minaj or Bieber can be considered the greatest song of all time deserves to be castrated with a baseball bat with a live porcupine duct-taped to it.

"statistically there is not 1 song that could possibly top every chart and list that includes statistics of some sort so if was to argue that i couldn't which in turn makes some of your arguments irrelevant"

No it doesnt dingus, it only means that its impossible for any song to be considered the greatest of all time.

"trying to make points such as my analysis was pointless something like that you can keep to your mean spirited self."

Your pointless and stupid a** analysis is relevant to the debate since it was a pointless and stupid a** analysis.

"truly in my heart I believe that bohemian rhaposdy is really just an amazing thing"

Thats perfectly fine though...... Bohemian Rhapsody is an amazing song and I listen to it once in a while too.... Its just that its not even close to being the greatest song of all time, which is what I am arguing here, and all evidence supports this.

Posted by daytonanerd 3 years ago
daytonanerd
To answer all burning questions, no, this is not a multiaccount of myself. Bo Rhap isn't even my favorite of Queen songs.
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
I will punch you in your right nut as hard as I can if you ever say that again
Posted by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
Clearly you've never heard Friday by Rebecca Black
Vote Placed by Stonewall 3 years ago
Stonewall
manofroseimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: What the guy below me said. Pro lost me at, "(A)nybody who tries to fight against this argument is incorrect because any song can be considered the greatest of all time..." because it makes so little sense in so many ways.
Vote Placed by Legitdebater 3 years ago
Legitdebater
manofroseimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro since Con swore a couple of times. Arguments to Con since he stated logical points of Bohemian Rhapsody even being in the top 100 for Best-Selling Singles. He also stated that many critics didn't like it, thus making it far from being the Greatest Song of All Time. Sources also go to Con for actually using them to support his argument. In my opinion, I think it's one of the greatest song's of all time, but the majority of the public doesn't think so.