Debatwinnerpro
FollowerofChrist1955

Can Christians listen to Metallica?

Debatwinnerpro
Started: 11/8/2017 Category: Music
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

Debatwinnerpro

Pro

First round is acceptance. DO NOT FORFEIT

I believe it is perfectly fine for christians to listen to Metallica. I am a christian
FollowerofChrist1955

Con

I accept this debate, i also am Christian. Please begin your reasoning for your view.
Debatwinnerpro

Pro

"Now I lay me down to sleep
Pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
Pray the Lord my soul to take
"

that is a lyric from the song "enter sandman" it has a Christian reference, but has no demonic or anti-christian meaning to it.

God does not want us to glorify bad/evil things. Metallica never has and anti-christian themes, they do talk about death, but they never glorify it

The ban even has a song called "The Four Horsemen" as the name implies, the song is about the four horsemen of the apocalypse, this song doesn't glorify them

And one of thepeople who commented brought up the song "One" which is about a wounded soldier, who lost all of his limbs, lost his voice, and his eyes; he is kept alive by life support, and has no senses but hearing and pain. This song does not glorify it.
FollowerofChrist1955

Con

The question isn"t whether you "THINK" it"s okay to listen to Metallica. The question IS as a Christian, does Listening to Metallica demonstrate willful disobedience towards Gods commands to YOU as a born again believer and follower of Jesus Christ.

While I could offer opinions, they much like yours would be pointless as we are held to the standards required of Christ, and not the opinions of humanity.

Thus the reference to now I lay me down to sleep, serves only to attempt to justify an action in question, were this not the case the statement would not have been made in the first place!

Scripture readily states ....
Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

That you desire to listen to it ... clearly is in violation of this scripture as you are .... giving in to your flesh and not Gods will in the matter.

Scripture also states:1 Corinthians 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Metallica clearly edifies the Worldly "NOT" God, Christ, nor the Kingdom of Heaven.

Lyrics from Metallica
"Seek & Destroy"
Alright
We"re scanning the scene in the city tonight
We"re looking for you to start up a fight
There"s an evil feeling in our brains
But it"s nothing new, you know it drives us insane

"Nothing Else Matters","Fade To Black""For Whom The Bell Tolls"

"One"
I can"t remember anything
Can"t tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel the scream
This terrible silence stops me

in what WAY does this edify God?
Do these words - demonstrate Christ or satan?

You simply cannot select music based on a one lyric as there many lyrics in the song .... the question is edification? Holy edification, or Worldly edification ... to sides of equal concern ... edifying Christ, or satan!

But to be fair ... Philippians 1:27
Nevertheless, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending side by side for the faith of the gospel,

How does Metallica fit into the above scripture/ command
Would it be obedient or disobedient to the scriptures? Is that not after all your REAL QUESTION?

Not whether you or I believe a thing, but is that belief consistent with our claim of whom we serve?

As a Christian we are held to account BY God, even if we are not aware of it! The choice to be obedient to scripture then IS what is at question

What SCRIPTURES can YOU produce, that support your view that Metallica IS Godly music ... and worthy of playing in sanctuary on Sunday. If it cannot be played in Church .... that is almost proof positive it is against Gods will for us all.

As to additional scriptures ...Galatians 5:17
For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

Romans 7:23
But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me.

Romans 8:5
Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.

So enough of your opinions and desires of the flesh .... do you have scriptures in clear support of your statement as I have provided to you that are obviously against your point view?
Debatwinnerpro

Pro

Your Scriptures don't prove anything. They all have the basic idea of not indulging things of the flesh. By that logic eating good food is a sin, because it tastes good. Its not like i worship the music man.

""One"
I can"t remember anything
Can"t tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel the scream
This terrible silence stops me

in what WAY does this edify God?
Do these words - demonstrate Christ or satan?"

In what way does eating edify God? By your beliefs youu cant do anything but eat manna, listen to christian music, watch christian tv, and read the bible all day.

Nowhere in the bible does God tell us "have a bad life, and dont do ANYTHING YOU WANT"

"Scripture readily states ....
Luke 9:23

That you desire to listen to it ... clearly is in violation of this scripture as you are .... giving in to your flesh and not Gods will in the matter."

well, you say it is a violation because i desire it. like REALY???? just because you do something you desire is not a sin. i desire to live a good life, doesnt mean i have to suffer all day, and be broke. You are taking these verses out of context.

"Romans 8:5
"

i dont just focus on Metallica ALL DAY, i pray. i go to church. the bible means this as in people live their lifes for things of the flesh, they just live their lifes looking for sex, gluttony, etc.

please use these verses in context. these all mean dont make your life about these things,m my entire life is not Metallica.
FollowerofChrist1955

Con

It is sad that despite Pro declaring he is a Christian, that he demonstrates a total lack of Biblical knowledge. By all accounts it would appear that Pro"s Religion is one based on his feelings and no actual bible knowledge.

The logical question would be why one with no Biblical literacy would dare to call a Biblical debate, when he himself, hasn"t biblical knowledge to defend or argue any points, except by opinions based on imagination and not on biblical truths?

Pro calls scriptures- ones beliefs ... instead of Biblical Doctrine ... imagine?

As such I feel it necessary to reiterate the debate parameters

The debate: Can Christians listen to Metallica?

The ANSWER according to Biblical teaching: NO!
Re:Luke 9:23, 1 Corinthians 10:23, Philippians 1:27, Galatians 5:17, Romans 7:23, Romans 8:5, 2 Peter 1 :20-21, Mark 9:42

Pro opening statement- I believe it is perfectly fine for christians to listen to Metallica. I am a christian

Biblical assessment- Pro view is wrong according to biblical teaching!
Debate assessment- Pro has no knowledge to base his views upon except secular human thought ... no apparent Bible knowledge at all to BASE a view upon?

I must point out Pro produced naught but opinion. Opinion is not proof of correctness.

Pro responded with excuses, additional opinions and ludicrous examples designed solely at justification attempts which have no scriptural standing whatsoever!

That Pro is Biblically illiterate does not excuse failing to produce credible evidence in a debate initiated by Pro. Not a single scripture to validate his opinion, was presented by pro, are we to merely vote by reason of opinions, which cannot possibly be considered evidentiary with regards to Fact over imagination!

Pro stated (In what way does eating edify God? )

WHAT? EATING???

Pros remarks- (By your beliefs)
Fact- they are SCRIPTURES of the Bible ... Christian Doctrines that Pro himself alleges to follow, but appears not to know?

Evidence that Pro is biblically incompetent and therefore is obviously "NOT" qualified to debate scriptural topics, from a knowledgeable standpoint!
Pro states-(Nowhere in the bible does God tell us "have a bad life, and dont do ANYTHING YOU WANT")

Scripture refuting this remark- 1 Corinthians 6
19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body.

8Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God. 9You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Galatians 1:10
Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

I knew Pro was wrong from the start, but I was curious to determine where he got this unbiblical notion .... I now know! He doesn"t know scriptures, hopefully he IS SAVED. Eternal Life is a FREE GIFT from God. You are only required to believe Romans 10:8-13
Posted by Debatwinnerpro 1 week ago
Debatwinnerpro
I dont understand HOW is metallica bad?? Name of ONE lyric that praises Satan, or glorifies bad things.... it never glorifies it. you dont have any argument about HOW the music is bad, you just claim its bad and dont back up what you say, you bring up scriptures about not being of the flesh.

1. i dont worship the music
2. my entire life is not the music
3. i dont just worship the lyrics
4. the music isnt even bad

you have bigger fish to fry, like Slayer, which is OPENLY Satanic...
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 week ago
FollowerofChrist1955
TheMurica;
I"m somewhat surprised? Are you under the impression that you will answer to Me for disobedience?
Nothing could be further from the truth. I have simply and solely given the scriptures that expressly forbid such conduct! The CHOICE to obey has always been yours to choose?
I don"t have to answer for YOUR disobedience, nor any other believers disobedience. God holds me to account for my own choices not yours, thankfully.

So you want to listen to anything, watch any movie read any book attend any venue ... help yourself, don"t take your frustrations out on me though. I am your senior, and clearly more abreast of scriptures than you. As with us all .... learn the hard way if you wish. Sadly, God Himself isn"t going to blame me nor Debatwinnerpro for what you do.

So spare us your excuses please, neither of us should care in the least. Your action your problem.
Bye:)
Posted by TheMurica 1 week ago
TheMurica
there is absolutely nothing wrong with listening to Metallica. All Christians would live inside a bubble if we could not get exposed to the slightest bad thing
Posted by Debatwinnerpro 1 week ago
Debatwinnerpro
If im tying to convert an atheist to christianity i would not want to tell him "i dont listen to Metallica, i dont do anything i want." he wouldnt convert
FollowerofChrist1955
Debatwinnerpro;
1 Peter 2:12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Matthew 9:8
When the crowds saw this, they were filled with awe and glorified God, who had given such authority to men.

When you are observed by others ... IF they give glory to God, then do as you please, if they give glory to BAND, buy CD,s that gives Glory, Honor pr profits to sinners and not God? Then you are in the JUST SAVED group at this point and time!

The is no ambiguity in 1 Corinthians 3, your NOT Disciple that"s clear. That you are fighting for your human right to feed your desires of the flesh, also means your not a Follower, because your NOT FOLLOWING, your doing whatever you want ... that leaves ONLY ONE that you could possibly Be.

1 Corinthians 3:15
If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved--even though only as one escaping through the flames.

That"s now ... The Lord KNOWS, you do NOT HAVE to stay there .. you still have time! Just pick up HIS WORD ... it will teach you .. you can ask qhestions, Ill help ypu look up the REAL ANSWERS right there IN THE BIBLE ITSELF .... no commentaries, scholars, theologians, Pastors, Preachers .. just You, Me and God or just you and God!
I ll tell you how God works with me, and its available for all Christians of any type of the 3 KINDS.

I "m sorry you may not know the 3 types of Cjristians yet. Disciples , Followers of God and People of God!

Go here to learn the difference: http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Debatwinnerpro 1 week ago
Debatwinnerpro
how is it trash?
FollowerofChrist1955
SIGH!
Salvation is Free! You have it by Christ sacrifice ... so your drama is unwarranted and unecessary, thank you!

Who your related to... pointless as We are saved by OUR CHOICE and not by who birthed us or by osmosis!

Statistics show that the seminary is pumping out Pastors who know no more of scriptures and Truth than you do. Go here and begin your learning.
http://www.debate.org...

Three types of Christians. 1 recieves EVERYTHING, 1 recieves REWARDS and 1 recieves NOTHING except the Salvation that IS FREE!

As to Metallica ... your completely wrong. So is ANYONE who says otherwise ... because God says they are wrong! IF God says it THAT ENDS IT.

So you can quit selling the lie! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for the trash you listen to, or look at. End of discussion.
Posted by Debatwinnerpro 1 week ago
Debatwinnerpro
you act like I'm going to burn in hell for my music... i believe in Christ, i go to church, and i pray multiple times a day. It shows that you are not spiritually right with God because you just want to rule people's lives, and enforce TOO MANY rules (like the pharisees)

i have biblical knowledge... i cant bring up scriptures for something the bible doesn't talk about...

My parents both have read the bible multiple times... and my father was a pastor for a church. Even HE knows that there is no problem with Metallica...

you keep bringing up this

Romans 8:9
You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Just because i listen to some music that you think is bad does NOT mean i don't have the spirit of Christ.

you bring up this

Romans 9:17
For Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

That is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with music... music does not prevent God;s power to be proclaimed.

"Hebrews 10:31
It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

irrelivant

"Ezekiel 18:4
For everyone belongs to me, the parent as well as the child--both alike belong to me. The one who sins is the one who will die."

music is not a sin, cake is not a sin, ridiculous argument.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;"

bullcrap, that proves nothing... if i murder people, or have sex with everyone, or get drunk all the time, THAT is what this is talking about...
FollowerofChrist1955
My last word on the subject Debatwinnerpro

Decide if you want help ... or move on ... the choice IS yours. i can only warn you ... i cant help a closed mind! I DONT think you KNOW who God really IS. I can help you there!
FollowerofChrist1955
Continued;
1 Corinthians 6:19
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?**** You are not your own;*****

Romans 8:9

Romans 9:17

Hebrews 10:31
It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Luke 21:36
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Do any of these sound like God is gonna accept your behavior as a small matter? The father CONSUMED Aarons SON"s for offering strange fire .... and your going around, la dee dah, I can belive what I want, I can just hear the Bible on Sunday, I don"t have to read it, I can think what I want, I can do whatever I want, I can tell everyone lies about who and what God is, I can mislead sinners with my opinions, instead of Gods word ... and God is just gonna Love me, and pat me on the head, and say what a good boy am I!

Well that"s EXACTLY WRONG!
The LORD SAYS: Revelation 3:19
19Those I love, I rebuke and discipline. Therefore be earnest and repent.

Are you being discplined by God? And IF NOT, you might want to consider WHY NOT!

God says He corrects those He loves! Thats either a lie ... or YOU JUST MIGHT, be in very REAL danger. It is not up to ME to figure out your problem ... that"s completely yours. I will help you, but I won"t tolerate excuses, because God won"t.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 week ago
dsjpk5
DebatwinnerproFollowerofChrist1955Tied