Theawesome67
Narwhalicorn

Can ROBLOX be Used for education?

Narwhalicorn
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 9/23/2014 Category: Games

Theawesome67

Pro

In my opinion ROBLOX can be used for educational use, as teachers can create educational games, and it helps kids learn basic programming.
Narwhalicorn

Con

Well, I need the debate so I can vote on others, so why not.
My opponent didn't specify the format of the rounds so i'll just use this first round for acceptance
Good luck, Pro.
Theawesome67

Pro

Ok. In my honest opinion, ROBLOX is a good tool for Education for the Following reasons:

1. It teaches kids programming, marketing, finance, and designing. It does so via Scripting, allowing users to make ads for their creations that are displayed on the site alongside real ads, a virtual currency system in which you have to manage what to spend and when based off of how much you have currently and how much you are making off of your creations, and you can design products, such as shirts, for others to see.

2. It CAN be used in the class. As ROBLOX is very open, a teacher can make a educational ROBLOX game for the class, and have the class play it. It would be much more engaging then reading a textbook.

Your move.
Narwhalicorn

Con

1. "It does so via Scripting, allowing users to make ads for their creations that are displayed on the site alongside real ads, a virtual currency system in which you have to manage what to spend and when based off of how much you have currently..."

This argument basically amounts to teaching some money management skills through ad-space and merchandise. This argument is rather weak in a sense that you could also do this through other sites, most noticeably YouTube, through things such as AdSpace. This could arguably get you a wider audience and in turn, more money since the number of people who use YouTube as opposed to Roblox is arguably larger, which would result in more money earned, and more money for merchandise.

2. "It CAN be used in the class. As ROBLOX is very open, a teacher can make a educational ROBLOX game for the class, and have the class play it. It would be much more engaging then reading a textbook."

I'm not going to debate the last part of the statement, since it's entirely subjective and depends on who you're asking. But as for the first half, I would argue that you wouldn't want to use Roblox as the tool for education, but rather something like the X-box One game 'Project Spark' which has a very nice level building system that uses an 'Event Builder'. You could also go for something a bit more complicated such as using a tool designed for making games from scratch, or helping them to learn a 3D rendering tool like Maya to teach modeling.
Theawesome67

Pro

Theawesome67 forfeited this round.
Narwhalicorn

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round, and failed to provide rebuttals to my arguments. I urge you to vote con.
Posted by a_mysterious_stranger 2 years ago
a_mysterious_stranger
That's the reason why it was made.
Vote Placed by a_mysterious_stranger 2 years ago
a_mysterious_stranger
Theawesome67Narwhalicorn
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited.
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
Theawesome67Narwhalicorn
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: FF(forfeiture)
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Theawesome67Narwhalicorn
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Theawesome67Narwhalicorn
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Ff, and I agree that pro's arguments were weak and subjective, along with the fact that others can educate children far more than just roblox