jar2187
socialpinko

Can Sex Offenders Be Hot?

jar2187
Started: 5/23/2011 Category: News

jar2187

Pro

I was reading a Houston Press article entitled “10 Hottest Women on the Texas Sex Offenders list”. I was not impressed. But by far, they each were much better looking than most of the more burly women that they love to parade on the news. It is as if the news love to exploit our general notions of “attractiveness” by associating them with horribly despicable crimes. It is as if the news is trying to tell us, or at least subliminally persuade us, to think that the unattractive are most likely capable of doing this. But I digress; they are not. These women are not “ugly”, to me and they molested children from ages two to sixteen. These are disgusting crimes done by sick-minded, but not necessarily sick-minded, people.

Why did the Houston Press release this article to the public? I don’t know. Perhaps cheap shock value. Perhaps a way to get eye-catching attention ratings. However Richard Connelly, author of this list, admitted that it was a combination of all of these, and a third reason. He states about the title:

"I can understand how some people might react to this. On the other hand, it's a way of getting readers to look at the info, maybe get them to realize there are people out there like this and they all don't look like the obvious stereotypical pervert."

After reading this statement, one can read his article as some kind of satirical social commentary, even down to the title. Indeed, that’s what I thought what was going on. It was a joke! Most readers did not get the joke however. Torie Camp, director of Texas Association Against Sexual Assault (TAAAS) believes that the article mockingly portrayal of female sex offenders as “harmless seductresses rather than predators or perpetrators can set us back decades”.

I don’t think that we should trivialize the victims of the sex offenders. Indeed, neither has this article. The article doesn’t mention that the children thought their molesters were, or even, are sexy. And neither is this argument somehow sexist against women, because not all women are sex offenders and indeed, some people are going to consider these women to be “hot”, defined as attractive – sexually or physically – despite of their actions…

Theodore Robert “Ted” Bundy was known for killing over 30 victims – an ugly, ugly crime. Yet, he is even classified as superficially handsome, charming, and charismatic. Indeed, Carol Ann Boone thought this much enough about him to marry him. Clearly she, and other people, are able to distinguish the difference between his looks and the act that he committed. And certainly they kept them separate.

Will this article persuade us to think that female sex offenders are harmless seductresses? No. Male chauvinist will think this regardless, and most people are generally adapt enough to know that sex offenders are not harmless. And will the term “hot” negate the connotation of “sex offender”? Life is full of paradoxes. We should embrace them, not ignore them…

The one charge left is that we could call this article satirical social commentary irresponsible. However, I don’t believe that it is. Most news articles are public service announcements. This seems to be an opinion article. But even if it was a new article, this was less of a public service announcement and more of a welcomed awareness of reality. It was a beautiful day in New York on 9/11. Sometimes “beautiful” people do ugly things. Let us have no illusions about good and evil.

Should we be offended that sex offenders can indeed look like average looking, even attractive, people. Why should we? We should thank this man for alerting us to a reality – a reality that villains are not the caricatures that you might see in a Disney movie.

So then what’s next? Sexiest pedophiles? Eligible sex traffickers? Perhaps we’ll need to, if we need to shatter the childishly simplistic concept that there aren’t any attractive sex offender. That’s why I’m arguing that sex offenders can be considered as “hot”, that is sexually or physically attractive. Thank you.
socialpinko

Con

The resolution reads: 'Can Sex Offenders Be Hot?' My opponent will be taking the affirmative and will argue that they can be, I will conversely take the negative and will argue that they cannot be. My opponent also did not define the terms of the resolution, so I will proceed to do so below.

According to the context of the article and what my opponent has said, I will assume that the word 'hot' is being used colloquially. So I will use it as a synonym for 'attractive'.

""providing pleasure or delight, especially in appearance ormanner; pleasing; charming; alluring""[1]

The other terms of the resolution I do not believe need to be defined. One other clarification I will make before we being this debate is whether or not there exists objective beauty. I do not personally believe this. I think that things such as beauty are completely subjective. There is no universally agreed upon definition of what is beautiful. Most guys think that Jessica Alba is attractive. I, as a guy, do not agree with this.

If you were to act someone why they think Jessica Alba is 'hot', they would most likely respond with her physical features. Her body, hair, breasts, lips, ext. However who is to say that her specific type of body or hair style is beautiful. While most people do take physical features into consideration, no one agrees as to what makes an attractive feature. If it is not objective then it is subjective. And since beauty is subjective, the negation is automatically negated seeing as if a sex offender can be 'hot' is purely based on who you ask.

Personally, because I take the person's personality into account along with their physical attributes, any sex offender would most likely seem ugly and unattractive to me. So, as Con I can simply negate the resolution because I don't find sex offenders attractive, specifically because of their sex offender status. And since beauty is a subjective quality, anyone's guess is correct. And since my opponent is the one trying to affirm the resolution, he cannot uphold his BOP and thus I win by default.

I would delve into my opponent's arguments, but in the first round all he seemed to do was critique an article he read on whether or not sex offenders were attractive. The one thing he did argue was that the fact that someone is a sex offender should have no bearing on their attractiveness. However attractiveness has two parts. Physical and personal. This is why I don't find Brad Pitt very attractive. He just seems like a total d0uche bag. So my opponent cannot argue that someone being a sex offender should not be taken into consideration when evaluating their attractiveness.

Vote Con

[1]http://dictionary.reference.com...
jar2187

Pro

In this context, ”hot” is being used colloquially to means physically and sexually attractive. But I have defined “hot” twice in Round 1: “”hot”, defined as attractive – sexually or physically” in passing and then in the resolution: “I’m arguing that sex offenders can be considered as “hot”, that is sexually or physically attractive.” Personal attractiveness was not apart of the equation I put forth, but even so, this is not an issue…

My opponent’s argument seems to run as follows: since objective beauty does not exist, sex offenders cannot be evaluated by objective beauty and cannot be considered hot in the objective sense. My opponent does not believe in objective beauty. Nor do I. My opponent and I are in agreement on this. However, I do not have to argue that objective beauty exists for sex offenders to be considered hot by everybody. Indeed, even as beauty is subjective, a sex offender can be considered as “hot” at all…by someone – anyone, not necessarily everyone. Everyone will have there own standard of beauty that they can determine of someone. And there are wide-ranging combinations of features that will appeal to many differing people. Thus, if one were to say that “Jessica Alba is hot”, that would be their preference for their reasons alone. But this doesn’t change the fact that she is, in fact, considered to be hot to that person.

My point of this debate: Even if a person does an ugly crime, one can still appeal to the physical and sexual attractiveness. Being a sex offender should not be taken into consideration when evaluating their physical and sexual attractiveness. Can you be physically and sexually attractive to someone that you hate? Yes! There are many people in the world that I hate but would not mind having sex with them. Indeed, I’m attracted to their bodies. Indeed, this is the entire point of the debate. Not everyone will consider these sex offenders to be hot. I don’t. As I said, I’m fairly unimpressed. But not everyone has to. Indeed, some will.

I can conceive of one person who will believe that one of these sex offending perverts is hot, and thus it is possible for that sex offender to be considered hot (even if that sex offender is considered hot only to that person) despite their status as a sex offender. In fact, if one of these people were to simply to look at the picture without the knowledge that these women were sex offenders and found them physically and sexually attractive, then their status would be irrelevant. Some may even “get off” on knowing that these sex offenders are “naughty girls” – thus, some men we think of as sick will think of these sex offenders as having a “hot” personality. A few may even consider all three. This debate is not about the idea of objective beauty (since we do not all have to think that these sex offenders are hot) as much as it is about whether or not a sex offender can be considered “hot” at all - despite their committing an ugly crime, maybe in in spite of it. And since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then yes – someone will consider these sex offenders “hot”. So then, can sex offenders be considered “hot”? Yes.

I have no further complaints with my opponent’s arguments, so please extend my arguments. Thank you and I thank my opponent.

socialpinko

Con

socialpinko forfeited this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
One famous case is sex offender is Florida teacher Debra LaFave http://www.hottforteacher.com... The accusation was made that she was given a light sentence on account of her looks. It's irrelevant to the debate, the way it is being argued.
Posted by jar2187 6 years ago
jar2187
Why, Amveller?
Posted by Amveller 6 years ago
Amveller
I would of taken on this debate however, I only need one round not five
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
jar2187socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct point for forfeit. Arguments on both sides are muddled.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 6 years ago
quarterexchange
jar2187socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: OMGJB I already countered the votbomb by jar, just report him, but he didn't lose this debate
Vote Placed by OMGJustinBieber 6 years ago
OMGJustinBieber
jar2187socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: lol
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
jar2187socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: SP would have taken this,rip.