Tachyon
dappleshade

Can The Human mind detect , recognize , manipulate , and control a Electromagnetic field?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Tachyon

Pro

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{PLEASE READ THIS WITH A OPEN MIND}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
[ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

i have a theory that ties in with the biophoton theory. if you are unfamiliar with that itll be best to start there. the theory is that biological cells of any kind while alive emit photons in a light spectrum of 300nm. outside of our sight range and undetectable without alot of high tech equipment. now that weve breezed over that.

lemme hit you with a bombshell of a idea. we all know birds can navagate their position and coordinate a destination by reading the magnetic fields of our pretty little abode we call earth. well what if the human brain can do the same? what IF . our mind can detect , recognize , and interact with a EMF like we do with the internet? what if we can feel other peoples connections to this global EMF? what if some of us can... "hack" others? its a idea ive been pondering on. my argument is that we all have blood. in blood is iron. now i know that pretty foolish by itself BUT what if ... that trace amount of iron added with the biophoton effect can collect into a field of ever so slight magnetic production. and that other humans can feel that and recognize and decode it. o.O? pretty trippy idea. i know myself, i hardly believe its possible but im pushing the limits of my knowlage of science. what if we could fianlly merge the "paranormal" into a new normal? what if our minds potential can be tapped.... ? what if this is possible? theres no proo. im still in a theory. but im looking for feedback. ~ josh
dappleshade

Con

First of all, let me thank Pro for this open invitation and agree with Pro that not only is this a very intriguing topic but that I myself would love for it to be the case. Sadly the scientific basis for this is rather lacking, however I might personally feel about it.

Pro has referred to two different phenomena in making the case for this idea. The first, biophotons, refers simply to the idea that the human body emits light. Cellular metabolism releases energy - this energy can disperse as heat or in the form of 'packets' known as photons of light. It has been postulated that biophotons are involved in cellular communication. Not only is this in contention, but as Pro has already stated, humans cannot sense the photons involved in human biophotonics. I must further add that as far as is currently known, humans also do not have the capacity to directly affect cellular metabolism and thus do not have the ability to control their own biophotonics by anything other than the most basic and crude means (by for example working out or bludgeoning themselves to cause trauma). (http://en.wikipedia.org...).

Separate to this, the human body has a measurable magnetic field that is nothing to do with the extremely faint ferromagnetic properties of our blood - our nervous system produces current, therefore a field is generated. That does interact with the global magnetic field, but the general scientific consensus is that the external global field has no measurable effect on us, or our behaviour. We do possess the genetic hardware to sense magnetic fields, but crucially for some reason our species doesn't activate it (http://www.newscientist.com...) (http://www.indianexpress.com...). However, even if activated the consensus is that it works in animals with the sense by making the normal vision appear lighter or darker depending on which way they turn. This in no way implies that they can sense the small local fluctuations of magnetic field.

Moreover, we lack any capacity to see this ourselves, or a means extend any control over the global field. Perhaps in the future someone might work out how to re-activate this dormant capacity, but it will be a visual and directional sense, and a sense rather than a capacity to alter behaviour. In support of my previous statement, I note that the World Health Organisation states that to the best of it's knowledge through the examination of various studies, low-level magnetic fields do not have any health consequences on humans in either a physiological or psychological capacity (http://www.who.int...). Some enthusiasts have even gone so far as to compensate for the lack of this sense by creating implants to sense magnetic fields using neodymium discs. (http://www.wired.com...) Crucially, 1) Would they have done so if they already had the capacity to be aware of the fields involved, and 2) Do you, or I, notice the significantly-more-powerful-than-the-human-body's magnetic field when we walk out the store past the anti-theft gateway?

The answer of course is no. To conclude, the human mind cannot detect electromagnetic fields without technological assistance, nor recognise them. It is possible (though contested) that the human mind may, with a great deal of conscious effort, be able to manipulate their own personal magnetic field through concentration in a specific body part. Biofeedback training may help in this endeavour, but ultimately, since few of us even notice when we pass through/under EM fields on a daily basis, whilst influence may be possible, notable effect is not.
Tachyon

Pro

As i said this is a very twisted theory i had. i havent delved into the biphoton theory very much but the reason i am so intrigued by this is my own personal experiences and those accounts of others. on a daily basis i have a ability that classifies me as a "empath" can feel peoples emotions when im near them. due to being raised with a deaf mother and no father i am natrually very attuned to body language. to the point sometimes i have to control myself and ignore body language to keep from misunderstanding somebody. but when i come in contact by shaking somebodys hand or even being within 10 feet or so of them. its like i can sense this cloud floating about a inch above their skin. its very intriguing to me and if i imagine myself touching that "cloud" i get a rush of "vibes" from that particular person or i get a almost "live feed" of their current emotion and in some cases intent. and on multiple occasions ive had someone talk to me that i dont know but they know of my ability and after only a few minutes with them i can tell them pretty much who they are to the core. including the parts most people ignore. but that is a whole different subject in which i have even more theories. but the general idea i had is. what if that little thing i can reach out with is a magentic field. or somehow my subconscious is able to recognize others bi-photons. because i know i can feel slight EM fields if i try. for me if i put my hand over a negative EM field that generally absorbing any energy like a black hole i generally feel a cold response from my nerves. but if the em field is putting out and its charges i can feel a heat. and nearly every time i walk into a high EM field i have to stop walking and take a breath because my vision flickers for a second into a intense tunnel vision. its only a few seconds but it happens very time in a large but powerful EM field. and normally it only happens once. once im able to get my bearings back it normally never happens again in that area. though i have no proof in any way. im going off personal tests however invalid. i think we choose to ignore our ability to feel magnetic influences. rather than they arn't genetically activated. and taking your statement to heart. what IF instead of EMF sensory what if humans cells can sense and respond to another bi-photons? because in truth we dont know the extent of life and what forms it can take. a entity of pure photons or magnetic power COULD possibly exist. however improbable. and i realize im breaking a whole slew of religious beliefs i think that our minds can do alot more than any modern science gives credit for.
dappleshade

Con

I'm not altogether sure if we're not veering off topic slightly from the purpose of debate? I don't think it would make sense to repeat my arguments against biophotons being a vector for any kind of data. Let me re-establish my explanation so as to make things clearer.

What you defined in your previous argument was, as far as I understand it, that either biophotons or the human body's magnetic field, in combination with the earth's magnetic field, might provide a means of the receipt of and transmission of information.

To be aware of and influence another, information - data - needs to pass to and from the person in question. For this, we need a sensor to receive, a transmitter to send with, and a medium for the information to pass through. For example, if I speak to someone, my receiver is my ears, my transmitter is my mouth, and the medium is the air through which pressure waves oscillate. Through sight I have eyes to receive with, a material surface to transmit radiant photons from (through reflection of incident light) and the medium is the electromagnetic field through which photons 'oscillate'. More specifically, a mode of information transmission must have a means of changing the medium, creating a variance in the medium to conduct information.

For a human being to be aware of something, not only is all the above required but also another receiver/transmitter set up - the nervous system. If someone blocks off your nervous system you will not be conscious of any information, which is why we have, for example, local anaethetics (although they usually allow information about pressure to be relayed to the brain - just not pain). There are of course other mediums for information, for example hormone response. However, without a medium, a receiver and a transmitter, followed by another transmission by some means to the brain, there is no knowledge.

With biophotons, already have an organ capable of receiving (at least some of) them - the eye. It has been postulated that the human cells could serve as a receiver, in particular brain cells, which contain photoreceptor proteins. It has been postulated that biophotons are emitted at a specific period and coherency, rather than as randomly scattered light. In the case of ordinary cells, some mechanism is assumed whereby the receipt of biophotons would affect the way the DNA molecule worked, alter cellular metabolism, then send a hormonal message to the brain. If it was brain cells doing the job, the information would already be in the brain.

In practice, that biophotons are in phase rather than random is disputed by most scientists. The question is whether the photons are sent in neat coherent bundles, or are just flung out haphazardly. Coherency points to information transmission, whereas randomisation points to the latter.

Firstly, the number of biophotons emitted is tiny. Really, really tiny. Second of all - have you ever heard the statement 'most of the atom is just space'? The odds of a biophoton travelling through the body and striking a receiving DNA structure or photoreceptive protein in a brain cell are not high. Especially not when you consider that the body is generally bathed in photons anyway from many sources. That would be a lot of background 'noise' to the information system. It also doesn't seem like a likely evolutionary development.

Alongside that argument, few scientists agree that biophotons are coherent and most believe that it's just due to occasional jumps in atomic energy state. Completely random.

Now for magnetic fields. The application of a magnetic field across cellular tissue does have an effect on human cells (for example, http://www.guardian.co.uk...) but nothing conclusive has ever been shown about the earth's magnetic fields. It is occasionally postulated that there might be some subtle unaccounted for effect. Whilst this has not been proven not to be the case either, I think it likely that if magnetic fields influenced our minds and moods, we would get tearful or elated when walking under electricity pylons.

I can't state anything with any clarity with regards to your paranormal experiences. I've had paranormal experiences myself - deja vu and a sense of shifting probability - but without rigorous scientific testing any such experiences are subjective and do not constitute truth. I've also had half-awake hallucinations, misheard people and mistaken trees for scary people looming out of the dark.

(I am confused by the mention of a black hole. Are we speaking of a hole which is dark enough to appear black, or the gravitational well? I assume you mean the former!)

You describe a sensation through skin, a 'touch' sense. If you could perceive electromagnetic radiation, you would be able to wear a blindfold at all times. You would also be strongly aware of your computer screen, your electric cables and plugs and so on. I think that this is highly unlikely and it is for this reason that I think it is more likely that you are either imagining it or perhaps perceiving the heat coming off the skin.

In short, the human mind remains unknown in many ways but, for the reasons mentioned above and in my previous statements, I contend that it is unlikely that information is transmitted via biophotons or via magnetic fields.
Tachyon

Pro

Tachyon forfeited this round.
dappleshade

Con

I do not believe there is anything further to add, since the previous round was forfeited.
Tachyon

Pro

Tachyon forfeited this round.
dappleshade

Con

Again, as the previous round was forfeited, I believe I have nothing further to add.
Tachyon

Pro

Tachyon forfeited this round.
dappleshade

Con

To conclude, then. Biophotons are unlikely to serve as a vector for information since established scientific investigation of them indicates that they are not emitted in coherent, in-phase manner, the number emitted is small (indicating random emission of energy during jumps in atomic energy state for cellular molecules during cellular metabolism). If biophotons were a medium of transmission they would not be a very effective method to have evolved, particularly in view of the high likelihood they missed any pertinent structure and also in view of the high amount of photons we are already bathed in daily, which would provide a high noise-to-signal ratio.

As for magnetic fields, enthusiasts who can already sense them via technological assistance notice electronic equipment and anti-theft gateways far more strongly than they do the human magnetic field. The effects of magnetic field variations tend to go unnoticed by humans unless extremely powerful and/or localised, which excludes the human magnetic field and the earth's field.

Finally, both mediums would require a set-up that linked the human brain via sensors and transmitters to be able to be utilised effectively by humans. Which I feel I have demonstrated we effectively lack in both cases.

In short, neither biophotons nor the human magnetic field seem very likely possibilities for a means by which information might be transmitted.
Posted by Tachyon 5 years ago
Tachyon
the EMF is only a idea. im open to any idea. i just kinda thought that mabyyyy.... possibly we can sense others Bi-Photons? crazy idea o.o
Posted by dappleshade 5 years ago
dappleshade
Whilst I contest the idea of electromagnetic fields as a vector for the paranormal, you might want to check out http://www.wired.com... :D
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
TachyondappleshadeTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
TachyondappleshadeTied
Vote Placed by randolph7 5 years ago
randolph7
TachyondappleshadeTied
Reasons for voting decision: F
Vote Placed by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
TachyondappleshadeTied
Reasons for voting decision: 4fit