Can a Christian believe in evolution?

I saw on your profile you believe in theistic evolution. I would like to debate you on that. I am NOT the one to say "Its either god or evolution" I just want to hear your arguments why.

Alright, Why don't you start.

1. What do you think of Genesis 1-3? Why do you think its non literal?

2. Why did God create simple life other than just creating life as we know it today?

3. If there was no Adam and Eve, there's no original sin, no original sin means no point for Jesus to die.

4. When did the soul evolve?

1. I would like to start by saying God is timeless (2 Peter 3:8) so when in Genesis it says "day" the Hebrew word is yowm meaning
1) day, time, year

So it doesn't have to be a 24 hour day like ours.

Genesis is written from the view point of an observer, this is why it seems like God created the plants and light before the sun.

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

To an observer the earth would be like this since the early atmosphere blocked out light.
The next verse God seems to create light before the sun. To an observer it would seem like this since when the atmosphere let in a bit of light yet it did not show the sun yet.

11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so.12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

The newer translations correct use the word vegetation, since there early vegetation (algae) that grew with the bit of sun light.

I'm not going to go thru all of genesis,but I just wanted to say Genesis is mostly literal and present why.

2. God could have created the world any way that he wanted, with or without evolution, in 6 thousand years, in 14 billion years, or, for that matter, in the last 3 minutes. Evolution is the backbone of modern biology, a lot of discovers that are essential were made by evolution. It also helps remove typological thinking to show we are all kind of the same.

3. Why do you think there was not an Adam and Eve? I do believe that there was a time, after God had created Homo sapiens through evolution, that he found an initial couple or an initial group and "breathed into their nostrils the breath of life" (Genesis 2:7). It was then that they became living souls.
Science actually provides an interesting piece evidence for such an occurrence.

One day I was browsing a bookstore, and I randomly picked up a book on evolution. It was purely a science book, nothing religious or Christian about it. I flipped it open to a random page, and the first sentence I read said, "About 35,000 years ago, there was a sudden and unexplainable leap in the creativity of man."

In a BBC video defending evolution against creationism, a scientist held two skulls in his hands. He explained that one was 60,000 years old and the other 40,000 years old, but although there were no physical differences between the two, there was nonetheless a massive difference in the way they lived and related with other humans.

4. As I explained above
Gen 2:7
the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Magic8000 forfeited this round.

I think its clear, Christianity and evolution are compatible.
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago