Can a Vampire get AIDS from sucking infected blood?

Started: 6/7/2014 Category: Funny

To start, thank you for reading this this is my first debate I'm posting so I'm not sure what to do. This is meant to be a fun debate obviously. So lets have fun and entertain. By "infected blood" I mean blood of a person who has aids.

I do believe that if a vampire sucked infected blood, he, or she, too would be infected. It is "undead" so I don't think it would be to concerned, but as the saying goes you are what you eat.

Hiv lives by attacking the body's immune system, and then uses that system to replicate itself. one side effect of this infection is that as the infected subject's immune system diminishes as it only makes more HIV cells instead of needed T-cells to fight infections. When the immune system is totally compromised, this is known as AIDS.

A Vampire is dead, and as such, has no remaining immune system to compromise. There for, a vampire that ingests HIV may have some of the blood in its stomach, but would never develop an infection of its own, lacking an immune system to begin with.

Ball's in your court.

While I don't believe in the undead vampires there are people out there who practice vampirism and call them selves vampires. These human beings with fully functioning immune systems do drink blood from donors.
Now while they may not be the blood thirsty monsters that turn into bats and sleep in coffins (well they might who knows how creepy they are?) that we are use to they say they are vampires.
If one of them drank infected blood, yes they would get aids.

Ahhhhh, but you specifically stated that "It is Undead' and so would not be concerned that they were infected. You clearly did not intend living people who call themselves vampires, but rather, the supernatural creature. you don't get to change your terms after the fact and declare yourself the winner.

But, for the heck of it, let me engage you on your new terms. Ingesting blood can give you the HIV virus, certainly, but with today's treatments, such an individual is unlikely to actually become iimmuno-compromised and thus full-blown AIDS will never develop. To carry HIV is not the same thing as to be 'infected with AIDS.

two can play at semantic switcheroo.

Your right I changed it after you did first, I clearly stated this was to be a fun debate. Light hearted ,a joke, so when you turned it into a serious debate so did I.

"undead" with parenthesis (bunny ears) implies sarcasm. I do not believe there are creatures that rise from the dead, turn into bats and hunt people, there are no sparkly monsters running through the woods. There are however humans who call themselves vampires and crave human blood.

Now about your treatment. Larissa Hirch, MD says, "You can't tell if someone is infected with HIV. Often the only way to know is through testing. In fact, people who are HIV positive might not even know that they have the virus. Most of the signs that someone has HIV don't show up until that person has developed full-blown AIDS." in this article:

Aids is the most advanced form of HIV and while you can suppress it you can not deny the presence of it in your body. So technically if you have HIV the Aids virus is still inside you.

I apologize for my inexperience and despite this turning serious I thank you for participating I enjoyed myself. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and vote.

Jessica :)

I'm not mad or not having fun, debates do have a tone to them though, and I'm sorry if mine came across as anything other than respectful or light-hearted.

I put the quote at the top to call attention to how you phrased the issue. While undead is indeed in quotes, between referring to the ostensible vampire-person as "it" and saying that you didn't think it would affect the blood-drinker, you certainly led thought on the matter to mean the fictional vampire.

And the reality is, yes, a human who is calling themselves a vampire and engaging in vampire-like behavior (this still does not make them vampires) would indeed have a great deal to worry about drinking infected blood. Food is absorbed into the blood stream, and HIV in your blood stream would almost certainly infect you.

And you are definitely a little confused on your terminology. HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is the disease. You get that and are infected by it. AIDS is a syndrome, and, really, a symptom of the most advanced stage of HIV, not something you get infected with, but rather something you develop as the result of an infection.

Think of it like this: You are infected with a cold, but your stuffy nose does not mean you are "infected" with snot. It's a symptom of the infection.

If I were being truly mean-spirited I'd have shot this debate down from the start on the grounds that AIDS is not really an infection, so the whole question is moot.

I hope you have fun on the site!
Posted by J3ssi143 2 years ago
AlexanderOc thanks for the tip and as per your suggestion I have posted 3 cases with multiple sources. People do drink peoples blood and consider themselves vampires. if any one of these people or other like them drank infected blood they would indeed be infected themselves.

Mom of 2 drinks donors blood

23 year old man arrested for sucking peoples blood

a couple that drink each others blood
Posted by AlexanderOc 2 years ago
Tip to J3ssi143, wikipedia is not a viable source. Make sure t use reliable sources in any debate, regardless of topic.
Posted by J3ssi143 2 years ago
I guess it would... lol guard your necks!! Except I don't believe in vampires people in the 1800 needed an explanation for why some people mysteriously died and had strange decomposition.... so a ghoul that sucks your blood rendering you dead was of course the only logical explanation... I wonder if years and years from now people will look back at our medicine and laugh at how silly some things we used or ideas we had/have were/are...
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Welcome to the site... Interesting premise, it would really suck (pun intended) if they were not killing their food source, but became a carrier infecting people they bite.
Posted by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
no cuz aids doesn't exist cuz CIA conspiracy to invade america cuz 0bama