NRothermel
OsamaTheCityzen

Can a minority be racist?

NRothermel

Pro

I think that a lot of minorities are racist towards white people but when confronted for being racist they say only white people can be racist. I believe this is very incorrect and that believing that is a sign of ignorance.
OsamaTheCityzen

Con

I see what you're getting at. I agree that minorities may think themselves superior, but as Deray McKesson said, racism is about power, not just empty thoughts. I may wrongfully think that all white people are inferior to me, but they still have the supreme power.
NRothermel

Pro

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. That is the definition of racism taken right out of the dictionary. I do not see the word power. Plus black people have power now. Look at our president for example, Rap music is what is most popular, and whenever one is shot its national news. But when a white person is you dont hear anything.
OsamaTheCityzen

Con

Racism according to the Social Justice Warriors and other civil rights activists is power and prejudice. Prejudice alone, I agree with you, can occur in any race or religion. However, when it comes to power, black people (and Muslims, Hispanics, etc) are not empowered. Minorities are always the victims of hate crimes. Also, a Black president doesn't mean that black people finally have power now. Why is it that so far only 1 cop who shot a black person was sentenced to prison, but if it was a black person committing the crime the world will flip? If he's white he's insane, but if he's a Muslim he's a terrorist? If he's white he just committed a terrible crime but if he's Hispanic then he represents all Hispanics? Minorities are always underrepresented in all the industries, but when it comes to prisons they are the great majority. Black people make up 18% of New York's population but are 85% of everyone on Riker's (1). The laws disproportionally affects minorities in the United States. White people definitely have more power. The president being black does not mean that black people are more powerful now.

Also, you mentioned rap music being the most popular. First of all, that doesn't mean black people have power, and second of all, it is not. What is your source?

1. Inside Rikers by Jennifer Wynn
NRothermel

Pro

NRothermel forfeited this round.
OsamaTheCityzen

Con

This was a good debate. I look forward to the voting. Good luck.
Posted by Shrekoning 1 year ago
Shrekoning
The problem is the new social justice warrior definition of Racism. What most people call Institutional Racism, social justice warriors now call just racism. It is now power plus prejudice. If a black guy thinks, "I hate white people". Then he is prejudice but not racist with the new definition preferred by Social Justice Warriors and Civil Rights Activists. In my opinion, Prejudice just doesn't hold as much as a bite to it as Racism.
Posted by milesk12 1 year ago
milesk12
So because Asians have more "privilege" in the US, does that mean white people can say derogatory things towards them without being racist?
Posted by peacehonestyandlove 1 year ago
peacehonestyandlove
I don't believe minorities are racist towards white people only. They are racist towards every race that they are not. the reason why they are racist is because of all the stuff going on in social media and on the internet. This generation is mostly based on following trends o social media. They see all the older folks and even the leaders do all these things. They see how racist most people are there and since most people follow along those footsteps they would think that they could follow in it also. So it's not the minorities fault its the leaders and everyone else that do racist things. I also believe that if a minor can learn in school what makes you think that they won't learn those things on social media that you people do. Leaders are suppose to lead the minorities and teach them to become a great leader not a leader that can make the nation fall.
Posted by Yeeet2016 1 year ago
Yeeet2016
Anyone can be racist. Don't let anyone including. BLM protestors tell you otherwise period.
Posted by TheSatiricalAnarchist 1 year ago
TheSatiricalAnarchist
Aw man, I would really have loved to rip my way into this debate. Too bad it's already taken.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
yes. of curse they can.

they congregate.
they self preserve.
they generalize understandings of broad ethnicities.