Meichan
Slifer893

Can and Should Student Be Allowed To Bring Their Devices In The Classroom

Slifer893

Meichan

Con

I will say students can bring their cell phones to school, but not in the classroom, if they are given permission to. I choose no because today there are debates if students should bring it to school or not, but this majors mostly on classroom and learning topics since alot say that students get distracted by devices or they can't learn by this or that with device in their possession. I am saying that they can't bring in in the classroom, and they can just put in their locker until they are able to get it, and schools should tell students if they have an emergency use the phone in the school office if they need to call someone or their parents, or if they forgot their homework, project, or their stuff, come prepared, especially in high school, cause no one has chances.
Slifer893

Pro

This is my first debate, so please forgive any errors the procedure.
For my opening statements, I would like to explain the potential benefits which having a cellular device in the classroom could have. The primary benefit is information access. This time is referred to as the information age for a reason, the information is out there. What we need to learn is how to use it. The phone in the student's pocket has access to more information that 1000 textbooks, but the students need to learn how to process and use the information within. By having the phone with them and having more exposure to the information, in theory, students can have better information literacy. The utility of the phone is also very helpful in the classroom. Students can take pictures of notes and assignments to remember them and contact their teachers to assistance. I have seen several occasions where teachers post an assignment on the board for students to write down and watched students with phones taking pictures of it to remember it. Phones are are valuable resource which our students need to practice its use.
Meichan

Con

I can see your argument being true ,but I'm still against students bringing devices in the classrooms because with taking pictures and taking notes they can ask a classmate or teacher to email them it or just write it on paper ( except for students that have disabilities with eyesight or can't be able to right ) because there should be no problem righting down notes with pencil or paper but you do make a point there. As for my argument I'm still (against) it because devices distract students from working or try hiding it when teacher or staff is not looking towards them. Most likely students can't search information anyhow from school wifi because not everyone can or doesn't know how to get the IP address or password to use it so it will be difficult for them to go on the Internet. If there is computers already provided in the classroom they can use those or be sent to the school library to search up their information cause you can you that instead of a phone or device.
Slifer893

Pro

For my rebuttal, I will be quoting line by line.
"I will say students can bring their cell phones to school, but not in the classroom, if they are given permission to."
When a student is bringing their device to school but does not bring it in to the classroom, what purpose does the device serve? The resources present on the phone are being wasted.

"I choose no because today there are debates if students should bring it to school or not, but this majors mostly on classroom and learning topics since a lot say that students get distracted by devices or they can't learn by this or that with device in their possession. "
Why is it that a cell phone would prevent the learning process from happening? As I see it, a phone is a catalyst rather than a deterrent. I would also like to take a look at the wording used: "they CAN'T" Can't is a contraction for cannot which is suggesting that the students lose the capacity to learn because of the possession of a phone. This is a major stretch of the truth. The possession of a phone is quite the opposite and would allow the students to research information which they cannot recollect in order to allow the student to learn the information and prevent them from falling behind.

"I am saying that they can't bring in in the classroom, and they can just put in their locker until they are able to get it, and schools should tell students if they have an emergency use the phone in the school office if they need to call someone or their parents, or if they forgot their homework, project, or their stuff, come prepared, especially in high school, cause no one has chances."

1) Until it is proven that phones are a detriment to the learning environment, placing phones in a locker is a serious waste of materials which could have applications in the classroom.
2) If there is an emergency, students with phones can use a text message through their cell phones to allow rapid communication without the need to leave the class or disrupt the class in any way.
3) The occasions of homework, missing projects, or missing materials is mostly irrelevant with the exception of materials. Say for example, and English student forgets their textbooks and instead pulls up the Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet on their phone. The phone has allowed the student to supplement their phone for the missing materials in question and has proven the cell phone to be an asset to the school.
Meichan

Con

Meichan forfeited this round.
Slifer893

Pro

The con has forfeited the counter-rebuttal and my statements still stand unquestioned. The winner of this debate should be clear.
Posted by Scott_Thunderclaw 1 year ago
Scott_Thunderclaw
I enjoyed watching this debate progress!
Vote Placed by lord_megatron 11 months ago
lord_megatron
MeichanSlifer893Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con argued that cell phones are distracting, pro argued that phones had many learning benefits and weren't detrimental to learning. Con forfeited.