DebateMasterJ
Devils-Advocate

Can anything be proven?

DebateMasterJ

DebateMasterJ

Con

The method used to solve problems is the scientific method, which results in a conclusion. It is impossible for anything to be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt because:
a) conclusions are biased
b) conclusions can only be supported, not proven correct, by information gathered
c) conclusions can be overturned by new information being discovered

Just to be clear, my argument is that it is impossible for anything to be proven, true or false. In order for Pro to win the debate, they will have to provide at least one example of something that can be proven.
Devils-Advocate

Pro

you have just proven that nothing can be proven. Because there is no way to know if we are actually conscious, and our 'waking hours' are not just dreams, nothing else can be proven. (by the way, if this is a dream, how did you get into my head?)
By this logic, neither of us are correct, or both. It doesn't matter because we're all asleep.
DebateMasterJ

Con

"You have just proven that nothing can be proven." ~ Pro
Thank you Pro. I rest my case until further information is presented.
Devils-Advocate

Pro

We are both incorrect. Resistance is futile. You having proven that nothing can be proven, have proven that one thing can be proven, and thus have proven yourself incorrect for me. I rest my case.
DebateMasterJ

Con

I have not proven myself wrong because it is impossible to prove anything, and Pro has acknowledged that. As I have stated in the comments, I can only try to provide a better argument than my opponent, using information that supports my statements. I have used information about the scientific method, and my opponent has not provided any counterargument against the information I have provided. Instead, Pro has agreed with me, further discrediting their argument. Again, I have proven nothing, and that is the point. The voters can either vote for me, Con, whom Pro has agreed with, or vote for Con, who has pronounced themselves incorrect.
Devils-Advocate

Pro

Devils-Advocate forfeited this round.
Posted by DebateMasterJ 2 years ago
DebateMasterJ
Good question.
Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 2 years ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Im getting mind fucked. Which side is pro on?
Posted by DebateMasterJ 2 years ago
DebateMasterJ
TBR: Philosophy is a type of science, so I believe that "true" can be a blanket statement, regardless of what category it is placed under.
Posted by DebateMasterJ 2 years ago
DebateMasterJ
You're right, Ragnar, I can't prove my argument correct. I can only try to provide a better argument than my opponent, using information that supports my statements.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
"my argument is that it is impossible for anything to be proven, true or false."
By proving that nothing can be proven, you would actually self-refute your own argument.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Are you concerned with "true" within science only? Philosophy?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
DebateMasterJDevils-AdvocateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides agree that Con was right, so arguments to Con. Conduct to Con for Pro's round forfeit.