Can capitalizm lead to a monarchy?

Started: 5/21/2014 Category: Economics

This would be my first debate. In this debate I would like to argue that capitalism in an extreme state could very well lead to absolute monarchy.

1st round acceptance only
2nd round present argument.
3rd round refute

I will accept this debate

Thank you for accepting this debate. I speak from personal observations but I will attempt to provide source links to provide insight to my observations.

Capitalism is the economic system that allows personal ownership of goods, or services provided. Combined with a completely free market, I argue that it can lead to an eventual monarchy. Capitalism encourages competition. But history has proven that in any competition there is always a winner, and a loser. In most cases the spoils of war go to the victor, thus increasing the strength of the victor.

As a private business would grow, so would it's influence, capital, and revenue. As it grows, it's ability to crush smaller businesses increases in probability. For example, a Wal-Mart opens it's doors in a small town. Because Wal-Mart has the ability to offer cheap affordable goods in a variety of departments, the ability for mom and pop shops to compete becomes nearly impossible. The smaller businesses choked out as the larger corporations expand. Eventually, the owners of those very businesses become employees for the larger corporations. The goods they buy from Wal-Mart with the paycheck they earned from the same company.

As these very corporations grow, they will of course meet stronger advisories. Instead of competing, I argue that it will be probable that they will merge as an industry and corner the markets they compete in, together. This is a common place already with the airline industry and even cell phone carriers. Once merged, the leaders of the companies would hold high positions/titles (lords, dukes, ect.) within the expanding corporation.

My final point being, left unchecked, it is possible for one corporation in a free market of capitalism to grow without restriction. Eventually buying up, or merging, with all companies within the nation. And then onto buying all land and assets. The company would then rent the land out, and provide the only jobs available to pay for the rent. This is much like a Monarch, owning all the land, and forcing it's "subjects" to work the land in order to earn favor.

Once a business grows to the power of owning all of a nations wealth and assets. It is a probable conclusion t believe it would have the power to declare it's CEO a king.

I am not arguing the realism of this possibility. Only that it is possible.

The idea of capitalism leading to monarchy is ridiculous. The first assumption is that corporate size always goes up. In reality, corporations rise and fall. White castle used to be the biggest burger joint. Montgomery's used to be the biggest department store. Now these names are rarely heard. Every modern corporation has taken hits in their time. If capitalism only leads to corporate growth, then why don't we see monopolies everywhere today? You can't say that regulation stops this corporate growth, Regulation stops new businesses from entering the fray, but large corporations have large legal teams to decode regulations and none of these regulations really hurt their profit. Even if it did, it would hurt them all equally so some corporations would still destroy all competition. You assume that capitalism leads to monopoly, but show me some examples of corporations that help complete monopolies of an industry for a long amount of time. Monopolies are very hard to create, and seldom last long, Remember white castle had a near monopoly on burgers in urban areas. The only monopoly that really had a strangle hold of competition was standard oil and that was mainly because no one realized how valuable the oil would be until Rockefeller owned all of it, you say that cartels would control markets. Not so. In the beginnings of the auto industry, GM and Chevrolet could have just created a cartel and controlled the industry. But both sides wanted more profit and they competed. Even when cartels form, usually want of profit drives one company to break the agreement. If what you said is true, gm and Chevrolet would have dominated the industry forever but know their are many car companies. Can my opponent find ONE example of a company with unrestricted growth that kills all competition in recent times? Even the great corporations of the early 20th century were eventually unseated. Your ideas are not validated by history in any way.

With my final argument, I will dispute the variety of opinions my opponent as shared. For that is exactly what they are. We are all welcome to our own opinions but not our own facts. I will finish my argument by describing how history does indeed, and in many ways validated my theory.

"The first assumption is that corporate size always goes up. In reality, corporations rise and fall". In this, I share my opponents opinion. And I will continue to share this opinion for as long as my opponent would agree with my statement that history has proven: just as corporations have risen up and fallen, so have monarchies, republics, and empires across the globe. History has proven that monarchs have existed. History can prove that kings have been conquered. Empires have been formed, empires have fallen. This argument holds no weight on the theory that corporations cannot achieve monarch status.

"You can't say that regulation stops this corporate growth"

I can't? I refer to the very example you provided to prove this point. Rockefeller owned the monopoly that was the Northern securities Co. This company did own a monopoly in the U.S. and because of this made Rockefeller to be known as the richest man in the world. Left unchecked, my theory could very well have taken hold. However, the Sherman antitrust act of 1890 ultimately broke his company up and forced him to sell many of his shares. The decision continued to increase Mr. Rockefeller's over all wealth. But by breaking up the company allowed for further competition were there was none prior. So in fact, regulation did indeed stop corporate growth, and continues to do so.

"Can my opponent find ONE example of a company with unrestricted growth that kills all competition in recent times?"There are no companies with unrestricted growth in a capitalistic environment provided with a truly free market. But I would like to state that there are several monarchies currently in the middle east region of Asia that retain much of their power, influence, and money from the ownership of the oil monopoly within their own lands. I offer you two business in U.S. history that could have been on track with my theory. One was already provided earlier in my argument, the Northern securities Co., and the American tobacco Co. Both companies had a strangle hold on the market and were set up to corner the market with the ability to practice unfair business practices. Both were restricted by the U.S. government to prevent such monopolies, and therefore decreasing their influence and power.

Now, on to my final argument.

As it has been established, monarchies do exist. Many have formed in human history. And most have been formed from a variety of ways. Some by a social agreement of having one King to be just and rule the land entirely. An agreement so that a group could be organized to defend it's lands from larger forces outside a realm. Many monarchs have been established from important battles and at the tip of a sword. Barbaric governments formed from barbaric times. Is it ridiculous to believe that in modern times, a monarch could not be formed from the tip of a pen?

Many in business refer to a free market as a civilized battlefield. Successful business men will often be heard quoting Sun Tzu's art of war. If monarchies of our past history have been formed from conquering smaller kingdoms (small business), or unifying to increase influence and power (forming of cartels). It is not a ridiculous theory to believe in the possibility of a free market and a capitalistic government to create the same.

As this debate comes to an end, I would ask my voters to only consider with an objective mind the possibility of my theory. There are many laws and regulations that a multitude of governments have set in place for many years that have prevented one company from having to much influence or power. But remove those laws, remove those regulations, and provide only a free market, and capitalism, and what you will have is the exact breeding ground for one of the most simple forms of government in human history. I believe I have proven with out question that indeed capitalism, left completely unchecked could form a monarchy.

As a final argument, I would like to state that I am only arguing the possibility of my theory. Not the probability. Not even the longevity of a monarchy formed from economic policies. Even as I debate this, I support the movement of capitalism as on a personal level I believe it is the greatest economic policy to increase prosperity within a society. I am merely pointing out it's unintended possibilities.

I would further like to thank my opponent for his time and the voters for their consideration. Good luck and may the one with the greatest argument win. My sources for this argument are as follows:

JackFritschy forfeited this round.
Posted by Renagade 2 years ago
Because what I described is currently illegal does not change what capitalism is. And in a truly free market, there would be no regulations or restrictions. The debate is not using the current broken U.S. model of what we currently consider capitalism to be. And what we currently have is arguably already the beginning of a oligopoly. The debate I have opened targets the hypothetical ideal that what the definition of capitalism is, could lead to a Monarchy.

I thank and value your comments.
Posted by TheEconomist 2 years ago
I agree with @Cold-Mind. Your argument is more or less concerning corporate oligopolies. Also, I believe that most of the actions you described in Round 2 are already illegal such as merging to destroy any competition in an already existing oligopoly.
Posted by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Topic should be "Can capitalism lead to an oligarchy", or even better "Can we prevent capitalism from forming oligarchy".
Posted by Mr_Soundboard 2 years ago
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: 1. Con forfeited last round, even though there was much for him to refute. 2. Pro made more arguments.