Logicality1
leedle

Can humans honestly understand the concept of nothing?

Logicality1 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

Logicality1

Con

I honestly do not believe humans can understand nothing. Even if you assume that a space is empty, there is always a force affecting it in our minds. For example, if you imagine a black space in your head, there will always be a force, color, or change in that space, making the concept of nothing irrelevant, as there is always something effecting it. Take zero for example, the best example we have as a concept of nothing. Since numbers are a concept in general, and since zero is such an oddity even in a numerical sense, it makes the idea of nothing even harder to understand.
leedle

Pro

Hello, I want to attack this question based on previous knowledge, I don't feel like a full fledged debate.

I think that we can very much understand the concept of nothing, but it is very hard to envision it, and i wouldn't say envisioning is tantamount to understanding. We understand that nothingness entails the absence of all matter. What I like to think about is space without anything in it; just blackness.
since we were kids we have developed certain understandings of the world, we have created sections in our brains dedicated to what things are in the world and what categories they are under. by the age of about 12, one would have created all of the necessary parameters to classify most anything that they see. This is why when we try to envision nothing, we can't. Maybe when we were straight out of the womb we could have, but not now that we have experienced what is around us. Be this as it may, that doesn't mean we can't understand the concept of nothing.
Logicality1

Con

OK, good point, I guess I framed my question incorrectly as to what I was thinking. I am fairly new to this site, and had little to no knowledge of what to ask. I have to admit, I don't have anything to say simply because I framed this wrong. Sorry about that!
Posted by canis 2 weeks ago
canis
Yes.
Posted by canis 2 weeks ago
canis
No.
Posted by Logicality1 2 weeks ago
Logicality1
How do you forfeit? Leedle has won this one.
Posted by vi_spex 2 weeks ago
vi_spex
nothing=information=0
Posted by ZenekPr0 2 weeks ago
ZenekPr0
I think you meant "nothing"