B01-Robin
PlagueDoctor

Can medical research help create a full dive virtual reality

Started: 11/9/2014 Category: Games

B01-Robin

Pro

I think we could use what we use to monitor brain activity to help create virtual reality because that accesses our brain and so does virtual reality
PlagueDoctor

Con

Hello. I am PlagueDoctor, a new member to DDO, and I have come to debate the topic of virtual reality being created by medical research.

I do not believe this is plausible. Medical research has only just advanced far enough to implant false memories-in mice. It will be another ten years, at least, before this ability is available to use on humans. Another reason wrong with medical research helping to create a 'full dive' virtual reality is that you would have to stimulate all the senses, simultaneously. In fact, there's even more involved than just that. Here is the definition of virtual reality:
A computer-generated simulation of a three-dimensional image or environment that can be interacted with in a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a helmet with a screen inside or gloves fitted with sensors.
That's right. Computer-generated.
Medical research CANNOT provide this, for virtual reality is a computer-generated simulation. Not, in any way, shape, or form, a byproduct of medical research.
B01-Robin

Pro

We already study activity in the brain do we could use that to access people's brain and alter it. I am not saying it would come anytime soon I am saying that it could at one point become plausible to use brain activity monitoring to access people's brain and make them believe they are in a different place
PlagueDoctor

Con

'We already study activity in the brain do we could use that to access people's brain and alter it.' -You. It is impossible to alter the structure of the brain without damaging a portion of it. However, I agree with your next statement: it would not come anytime soon. In fact, I doubt this technology and/or ability will ever come. We cannot alter the brain, as I have previously stated: the only way we can change perception without using a virtual-reality headset is with drugs such as heroin and angel dust. And your (awfully short) closing statement 'I am saying that it could at one point become plausible to use brain activity monitoring to access people's brain and make them believe they are in a different place' implies that monitoring will somehow be able to access people's brains and make them believe they are in a different place...? This, again, contradicts the meaning of virtual reality, as it is not just the place in question, it is how you interact with the said place.
B01-Robin

Pro

B01-Robin forfeited this round.
PlagueDoctor

Con

I expect a better effort next round.
B01-Robin

Pro

B01-Robin forfeited this round.
PlagueDoctor

Con

PlagueDoctor forfeited this round.
B01-Robin

Pro

B01-Robin forfeited this round.
PlagueDoctor

Con

PlagueDoctor forfeited this round.
Posted by UndeniableReality 3 years ago
UndeniableReality
This is an easy question to answer. It's not really a debate.
Posted by PlagueDoctor 3 years ago
PlagueDoctor
I accept your challenge.
Posted by ShikenNuggets 3 years ago
ShikenNuggets
I'm not sure who would accept this to be honest. You're essentially asking someone to prove that science can't help us improve virtual reality. I'm interested to see if anyone can though.
Posted by UndeniableReality 3 years ago
UndeniableReality
If debates weren't such a huge time commitment, I would be in. I hope you get someone knowledgeable in the field.