Walrus101
jdog2016

Can one teach themselves to fly?

Walrus101
Started: 5/1/2013 Category: Technology

Walrus101

Pro

First round is for acceptance. Anyone who accepts must do so under the following rules:

1. This debate is stating that one can teach themselves, so your argument can not simply be "We can't Fly".

2. Lets keep this civil.

3. Children who can't spell shan't except this debate.
jdog2016

Con

I accept, and will be arguing that one CANNOT teach themselves to fly.
Walrus101

Pro

Thank the children:
I would like to begin with thanking all of the children who could not spell for leaving this debate alone. That will make this debate much more enjoyable for both me and my opponent. I am sure that this will be a great debate, given the company I debate with. Now lets get down to business.

What the Flock?:
Humans, birds, jets, and some squirrels. What do all of these things have in common, one might ask? Well, the answer is that they are all able to fly. Just because we are not able to at birth does not mean that we don't have the ability to do so. One can actually teach themselves to fly! With the proper training a human can soar through the air. It may not be the simplest thing to do, but the debate is one CAN teach themselves to fly, not one can teach themselves to fly with little difficulty.

Proper for Flight:
If I do say myself, all of you want to know what training you must undergo. I assure you it is complicated, but I will do my best to explain. There are many ways that one could train themselves. The easiest, of course, is self actualization. Only one who has mastered Maslow's Hierarchy of needs can even begin to learn to fly.
http://www.simplypsychology.org...
You may inquire about it there. After becoming self actualized, one can actually learn to fly. First, you would collect all of your thoughts. Then after reaching ultimate enlightenment you will start to propel upwards. You will then focus your thoughts into pure energy and begin to float.

An "Easy" Method:
This may not seem particularly easy to most, as it isn't. Perhaps it will for my opponent though. The first step to the easier way is to get upon a large building. Make sure that you bring your good underwear. Then, take a leap of the building and expand your arms. You then scream aloud "I think I can" and you may start flying. I myself find this way too risky, so I stick to the way it should be done. There are many unconventional ways to fly, but none are as exhilarating as my method. Now, when I say fly I do not simply mean "Air Travel". I mean that you can fly, completely independent from any influence but your own.

Without Assistance:
You may still wonder what it means to fly independently. This means that you require no machine to fly, such as a plane or glider. Really, those sort of instruments are not to be trusted, or used as a valid point at all in this debate. In this debate I meant "Good Ol' Natural Flying". This means with the method that I listed above, within detail. I will count the unconventional methods, even though I don't see them as a valid form of flight.

Finding a Flaw:
From now on, I will be stating my method and calling it "Enlightened Flight". Many have looked to find a flaw in "Enlightened Flight" but only one has succeeded. That happens to be me, the enlightened one. The only problem with "Enlightened Flight" is the sheer skill, which renders most unable to do so. If one is skilled enough to do so, they are recognized in the circle of enlightenment, which is sacred, so only few knew about until now. Only one who has "Taught themselves to fly" can claim to be part of the circle, and after rigorous tests, may get accepted into the circle.
http://www.mindreality.com...

False Claims:
Some of the men on the site above claimed to be enlightened. Nowhere on the page does it say that they are indeed able to fly. They are some who claim to be enlightened, but just come up short. And, as they said, enlightenment does in fact get you everything in life, but not how they would explain it, since they aren't enlightened in fact. I disagree with there claim that one who wants nothing gets everything. The fact of it is that they will never learn to fly on their own, even if they wanted to, or in this case, didn't want too. If these men in fact desire nothing, they get nothing since they don't desire it. Also, being oblivious to everything around you does not get you anywhere, as not caring for anyone surely makes you unenlightened. Apparently they have what they want, but they don't want it, so in return they get it. The reality of it all is that they want to fly, but they can't, so they pretend not to want it. Also, the claim of being the best website in the world shows that they want status, which means that they are not in fact enlightened.

How You Can Enlighten Yourself:
It is no easy task, mind you. It is only for the pure at heart, and also mind. If you in fact want to be able to fly, you must complete this task. First, you must clear your mind of unconventional wants. I can not state what they are, since that would completely disregard the fact of Enlightenment. Second, you begin to want what is wanted, which in return wants you to be wanted. Lastly, you don't want the unwanted any further, so you begin to want something more. This is in fact the "Enlightened Flight" that you want. I would like to initiate anyone to the circle who completed the task at hand, and prove the fact that you are indeed enlightened. In that case you would not have to tell me.

To Continue Enlightenment by Closing:
This round is concluded by the fact that "Enlightened Flight" is in the best method for flying without help from machines. Also, the only way to achieve this is to become enlightened. I also stated that the people at http://www.mindreality.com... are not in fact enlightened, and you should not be drawn in by their "Greatest Website In The World" bit. Also, being and enlightened and self actualized mean the same thing, as terminology was changed from the beginning. I hope to see a good response, and good look in your rebuttal.
jdog2016

Con

jdog2016 forfeited this round.
Walrus101

Pro

A Forgiving Audience:
I would like all of you to forgive jdog for not responding and forfeiting the round. I myself have not had the time over a weekend and forgot to respond. I would like for last rounds arguments to count forward, and use this round for nothing. I hope to see your response monday, jdog, and look forward to it. Please be forgiving.
jdog2016

Con

jdog2016 forfeited this round.
Walrus101

Pro

We can rematch this debate when you have the time, and I thank you for the challenge. I can understand not having the time to get on DDO.
jdog2016

Con

jdog2016 forfeited this round.
Posted by baylieboo22 3 years ago
baylieboo22
I use to dream I was flying, but i'd always wake up on the floor.
Posted by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
1. I have a pilot's liscence.

2. I was self-taught.

3. debate won.

Anti-joke chicken to the rescue.
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
Walrus101jdog2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Pro because of their courtesy towards Con, who forfeited every round but acceptance.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
Walrus101jdog2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I hate being the one who only has FF as a reason, but Con only got a chance to post his acceptance, so FF.