OXace1
TheOncomingStorm

Can people be good without god?

TheOncomingStorm

OXace1

Pro

My stand point is this, people do not need god/religion to be good.
I am a good example. For instance i have over 230 hours of community service in NJROTC alone. I have over 2 weeks of service through a program that rebuilds homes for the low income families. I serve any one who calls on me to help. And i do all of this without any compensation. I do not think people require a god or religion to be good.
TheOncomingStorm

Con

I will be taking the side of metaethical moral relativism and use arguments of god to prove that good and evil do not exist without a god therefore rendering it impossible to be good.
OXace1

Pro

OXace1 forfeited this round.
TheOncomingStorm

Con

Well, that's rather unfortunate. I suppose I'll start off the debate and provide some arguments so if my OXace1 comes back we can start immediately.

I have two basic points

1) if God doesn't exist then objective morals don't exist

Objective moral values are essentially moral values that are universally applicable. For example, let's say that a god has declared that murder is morally wrong. Since he is the ultimately supreme being and therefore the correct basis for determine morality, murder is morally wrong. We can determine this as there is a universal judge to apply universal laws.

When god does not exist, there are two problems with determining morality: there is no universal judge and no given action has any infinitely lasting value. First, when there is no universal judge there can be no universal judgements to determine right and wrong. We can create subjective morality, which is essentially worthless, but we cannot create objective morality. We also know that no given action has infinitely lasting value. Eventually both parties affected will be dead. Even if sentiment is still carried on by others, everything will eventually die. The universe is running down, and there's nothing we can do to stop it. Any attempts at bettering humanity or doing moral good are ultimately a waste of time when a god doesn't exist.

2) You can't be morally good if there's no way to objectively determine good.

How do we empirically prove that someone is morally good? We need to start with objective morals and see if the person fits the criteria. Subjective morals are too various for there to be any value in using them for purpose of determining good. One could be considered good to one group of people and evil to another group. Who's right? Well, without objective morals there is no way to prove either one is right.

Therefore, it is impossible to be good given that no god exists. I hope my opponent will show up for the rest of the debate. I feel like this will be a good debate.
OXace1

Pro

OXace1 forfeited this round.
TheOncomingStorm

Con

Well, extend my arguments, I suppose.
OXace1

Pro

OXace1 forfeited this round.
TheOncomingStorm

Con

My opponent seems to be AWOL.
OXace1

Pro

OXace1 forfeited this round.
TheOncomingStorm

Con

My opponent has failed to show up to the debate almost entirely, so I will respectfully ask for a vote in my favor. Thank you.
Posted by OXace1 3 years ago
OXace1
There is no way for me to apologize for my absence due to family crisis and personal issues.

Ironically the blame was entirely on me due entirely on my lack of belief. I will not try and restart this debate.

I once again apologize for my absence. Thank you
Posted by Shemeher 3 years ago
Shemeher
Being good isn't based on just good works, For example, a man can do great things for others and yet can have sick and evil thoughts but yet never act on them and all others see is the good he does. Is that really good? Man was born to sin and we all know sinning is bad. Your born to sin! Meaning you can never be entirely good without God.
Posted by Fox32 3 years ago
Fox32
For a believer this question can bring many answers, however lets take it outside the box thinking.

What if you was god!?

Would you like have your children (in this case the people of earth) act good only if the readed once in there life the bible? Or do you want as God that people life good and help each other without any motive or teaching?

I don't think i have to answer that question, however there is no motive to live good without or with God if you don't want to. Because God can not force you to do anything, thats why we have freedom as human beings to decide what we wanted to do.

Then why does God exist?

Simpel: As believers we think that God created the earth, and created the human beings. Is there a reason needed to create something? (something like your own childeren?)

If you take the perspective away from god that includes a big looking bearded man that judges everyone from sin. And see him as a father or a creator, then you could explain that he has given advice/rules to life right. And thats when the bible comes into the story.

So yeah, you can life good without believing. But! what is the definition of good?
As human being we make choice based on: Knowledge, emotions and experiences. We might make a faulty decisions because of those 3 components of us.

The bible state that God has the power to judge what good and evil is, i hope you agree not all humans are capable of making the right chooses?

Conclusion:
If your sanity is alright, and you help other people with the right indention's, you have nothing to fear for your actions. However, the denial of God can be described in the bible as a Sin (it has its reasons for it).
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
OXace1TheOncomingStormTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit