Can people with ASP be successfully integrated in society under vigilant follow-up and therapy?
Debate Rounds (3)
Personality disorders, however, is more of a grey area, because we don't understand the biochemistry of personality and their respective disorders any more than the neurological disorders aforementioned. Add to this that most people with a personality disorder don't seek help until it becomes drastic, and a portrayal of inherent cruelty in personality disorders, and you have a difficult condition to detect, let alone diagnose-even less so successfully treat.
The reason I bring up ASP (anti-social personality) disorder is because it intersects with prison systems, and life after incarceration; ASP is commonly associated with impulsive, criminal and violent behavior, and the resulting impact is that the chances of redeeming yourself would be minimal.
Ergo, I bring up the subject that, under the constant vigilance of the mental healthcare and social systems, individuals with ASP being treated should be allowed to work and function in society like a healthy individual, and this should be in conjunction with treatment such as cognitive therapy, performance reviews, and one-on-one therapy sessions, to ensure the progress of the recovering individual and the safety of themselves and those around them. The end goal is that with each benchmark, the individual makes recorded progress of improvement that gets acknowledged by the health AND social committee responsible for his rehabilitation.
I'm not suggesting a Big Brother scenario where the employers, mental health professionals and law enforcement agencies have their eye on you ALL the time (on the contrary, that could actually provoke them). I am suggesting a collaboration where the mental health professionals, law enforcement agencies, and the employer have a common interest; the rehabilitation and reinstatement of an individual into a valuable member of society offering a service for living expenses in a civilization, where behind the scenes we're changing the mindset of the individual from an aggressive, volatile disposition to a thoughtful, logical and calm one.
Assuming sufficient technology, consent and privacy, can this work? Should this be implemented?
I'm accepting this debate as con. I believe that people with ASP can not be successfully integrated with society. For my argument I will bring up recent cases and past studies of ASP to see the statistics on these treatments.
ASP can not be undertaken lightly it is very severe for the person who suffers it and can be very detrimental for those around them. Various diseases and psychological disorders often need frequent watch and care this one is also included. If these integrations where to go wrong the consequences can be very severe.
I will leave the first round short as a simple acceptance of the debate and my own personal views on the subject.
1) ASP, just like any other disorder, can occur in varying degrees, and triggered by many possible events. To postulate a hard conclusion that people with ASP cannot be successfully integrated in society is to disregard the different cases from individual to individual.
2) Depending on the intensity of the ASP, the integration and phases are tightly controlled according to the patient; we need to know how and where to implement this control. Restricting it is not enough, they will counter this; we need to understand their motivations and what actually demotivates them from participating in an anti-social personality, and work with them. This is another beneficial facet to attempting to treat them and work with them; by compiling data and finding patterns that seem to be the most consistent, one can actually find more material for research and include it in academic studies.
3) Speaking of research and academia, we could use monitoring the treatment and behavior of a person with ASP more often IN CONTROLLED SETTINGS. This means that it cannot be instigated out of abuse, such as being incarcerated or hearing of their actions from a victim, and it also means that they are in a position to provide as much information for future research and study in as close to a regular routine as possible. We're here to see if they can get up in the morning, go to work, do their job, go shopping or eating, talk to people, go home and go to sleep, what their behavioral tendencies are like, what their motivators and demotivators are, and help them work through it so that not only do they become useful and a productive unit in the community, but they also experience a sense of individual calm and validation at the expense of no one else.
1) You state that ASP comes in various degrees which is very agreeable but to what degree does it make it possible to integrate these individuals. How would their situations differ to enable them to successfully live in society and then what would happen to those who don't make the cut. Will they remain detained for the rest of their lives?. Truthfully this is a disorder and they have little control over it but can they still be trusted to go through with this.
2) Does the government really have the resources to keep such close watch on these citizens. You also have to include on how other citizens will react to having someone with a history of ASP so close to them. How could the resources help bring these people with such a dangerous disorder into modern society. This wont happen overnight it will take years and then with a great number of people going through this treatment can their needs be fully attended to.
3) People with ASP are known to be very manipulative so how can people learn to look through their lies how do we know the thought behind their actions. If anything were to happen to somebody who came across their path and got in any way abused or worse what would happen to this research or this new system. Some risks cannot be undertaken lightly more research needs to be done on the front of curing this disorder before any reintroduction into society, this will better ensure the safety of everyone involved.
Kwhynot forfeited this round.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by gomergcc 2 years ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||3||0|
Reasons for voting decision: I have ASP and am successfully integrated in to society. Con just generalized a whole lot of people. There is implemented a system for this. Min points given since while Pros argument was better than cons it was still weak
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.