KJVPrewrather
MickeyFox

Can progressives be prolife?

MickeyFox has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

KJVPrewrather

Pro

I say yes, con says no. Make the first move.
MickeyFox

Con

Progressives by definition are the opposite of conservatives.
Therefore I'd say that a conservative view like being pro life doesn't go very well with being progressive.
I call it a conservative view since society has been pro life for a long time.
Progressives have been the ones fighting for euthanasia and abortion and that doesn't sound very pro life to me.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

I'm a progressive, and I'm prolife. I support Democrats For Life, a prolife group. For me, being progressive means supporting human rights from conception to death. The original progressives were prolife.
MickeyFox

Con

Supporting Democrats doesn't make you progressive. You can support Green Peace or WWF for $10 a month. If at the same time you have a big part in destroying a rainforest I wouldn't call you an environmentalist. So you being a progressive seems to be up for discussion. And saying "I'm a progressive, and I'm prolife" kind of seems to beat the point of the entire discussion.
The original progressives don't really matter. Since society changes the views of progressives will always change too, since at some point progressive points become conservative. Women being allowed to work or file for divorce used to be progressive views, but are now accepted in society.
Euthanasia can help people who are suffering and would rather die than live with that pain.
Abortion can help girls who have been raped not have their rapists baby.
So these are two progressive options, and they can only be argumented against from a conservative point of view.
Therefore I think you can't be progressive and prolife.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

And I'm still a progressive prolifer. I only differ with Bernie on abortin. I wanted him to be President for us. I'm also against all violence and forced death save for protecting self and family. Close your teeth or I'll post my crdentials.
MickeyFox

Con

I am very disappointed in this website and people's ideas and what counts as a debate, or a solid argument. I'm out
KJVPrewrather

Pro

Please address what I said. Why can't I be both?
Posted by Chargers315 1 month ago
Chargers315
I"m more on the progressive side, yet I believe abortion is murder. Being Pro-Life or Pro-Choice doesn"t make anyone more or less Progressive.
Posted by Ichorumbra 1 month ago
Ichorumbra
The phrasing of the resolution through the use of Can makes it nearly impossible for con to be able to win the debate. Of course progressive individuals CAN be pro life so there's no con ground. If you want a more balanced debate I would suggest changing the resolution to Should progressives be pro choice, that way there is more ground on both sides and more banter happens between the two sides.
Posted by beefcurtians 1 month ago
beefcurtians
Agreed, you cannot pin a whole group of individuals with such a belief, just because they share other similar beliefs.
Posted by What50 1 month ago
What50
No, it's not a type. Progressiveness is an idea, and the people follow that ideal are still individuals. Everybody has there own thoughts, and beliefs, just because you follow that ideal doesn't mean you can disagree with it's ideals.
Posted by KJVPrewrather 1 month ago
KJVPrewrather
A progressive is a type of Democrat.
Posted by Raumulus 1 month ago
Raumulus
What is your definition of "progressives?"