durrrr013
beachgirl67

Can social organizations omit members based on race?

durrrr013

Pro

I am a former OU student, and I received the email from David Boren disowning the SAE chapter (everyone with an OU email got it). That got me thinking, do these frats (or any social clubs) have the right to exclude memebers based on race?

As appalling as it is that people at a University in a developed country were talking about lynching people, I think fundamentally they did have a right to express their idiotic beliefs in the form of who they accepted.

I'm not critisizing OU's decision; they are a mostly private organization and can disband clubs at their discretion.

My resolution is that private clubs or organizations may exclude members based on skin color or ethnic origins.

First round should be for acceptance only. There is a tight character limit, so you need to be into the brevity thing.
beachgirl67

Con

I accept your debate.
durrrr013

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate.

I believe that a social group's rights are nothing more than an extension of the individuals' freedoms of expression. As an individual, I can choose who my friends are. If I don't want to be friends with a black person, I should have the freedom to make that choice. If my friend and I don't want to associate with someone, we're free not to. A fraternity, church, etc. are nothing more than a collection of people. Ergo, they are free to exercise that choice.

Furthermore, there was a time when mixed race clubs were stigmatized. It was this very freedom that allowed the seeds of equality to grow and abate the rampant racism held for centuries.

Lastly, there is no need for such restrictions; any overtly racist people or organizations pay a heavy price in scorn and admonishment from their less backward peers.
beachgirl67

Con

You said it yourself, frats are usually just groups of people. Therefore, they don't have to be your friend or someone you know. You might not want to be friends with a black person, but that is no reason to exclude them from your group. Racial tension is already high, from incidents like where Michael Brown was shot and killed. Being able to omit members based on race would not help this problem, it would only make it worse.

Imagine that a fraternity of mostly white males wouldn't let a black male in just because of his race. I don't see how this wouldn't be considered racism. The definition of racism is "racial prejudice or discrimination" which is exactly what's happening here. They aren't letting him in purely because of his skin color. Furthermore, people can't control their race, so I don't think they should be omitted because of something they were born with. It's like telling a guy he can't join your group because his eyes are blue.
durrrr013

Pro

At no point am I making the argument that racism isn"t bad, or that racial exclusion is good for society. I wholeheartedly agree that racial prejudice is as ridiculous as prejudice based on height, eye color, hair color, handedness, or any other superficial trait. I"m not saying that these groups are behaving in even a semi-rational way or that their members have any redeeming qualities. I"m saying that people have a freedom to express their beliefs and by extension private groups have this same freedom.

Forcing clubs to integrate would probably help reduce the racism; extreme homogeneity in groups has some very bad effects. But rights must endure all situations to be rights; otherwise they are privileges. No matter how despicable one"s opinion seems the right to have it must be protected.
beachgirl67

Con

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
Posted by beachgirl67 2 years ago
beachgirl67
Sorry I have been really busy, But I can respond here. So, you think we should give others the freedom to chose who they think should be excluded and who shouldn't? Even if it is their belief, it would still be considered racism if their choice is based on things the person can't control, such as race. So, let's say a white male and a black male both want to join a fraternity. The both have the same characteristics except for their skin color. If they take the white male and exclude the black male, there is entirely no reason for this besides prejudice. If social organizations can't omit members based on race, they can learn to look past skin color and this can prevent racism (Which, as you probably already know, can turn into bigger problems.)