MaddietheOpinionated
Nobodycares

Can the channel "TLC" still be considered "The Learning Channel"?

MaddietheOpinionated

MaddietheOpinionated

Pro

I believe the channel TLC can still be considered "The Learning Channel". Though it is filled with reality shows that seem unnecessary, I feel that you still learn. Reality shows are generally focused on a topic. Even though they can be crude or unusual, they still are about something. With TLC, you are learning, whether or not it is from a baker, or a beauty pageant superstar. The channel shows the lives of even the most random things, but at the end of the day, we have gotten an idea about whatever was shown.
Nobodycares

Con

I graciously accept.
MaddietheOpinionated

Pro

Well wonderful! As I said before, I do believe TLC can still be considered "The Learning Channel" because we do learn something from the many reality shows they broadcast. Reality shows can be educational whether or not the content is inappropriate. Sometimes TLC doesn't just show reality shows, but documentaries even. For the most part, documentaries are clearly educational because it teaches you something about what it is highlighting. All I'm saying is, TLC is a learning channel, but it uses different "tactics" in educating us.
Nobodycares

Con

I thank my opponent for their argument. I will begin by stating what I believe my position is; I am tasked with presenting a convincing set of arguments to suggest that TLC no longer deserves to be considered as "The Learning Channel".

It is difficult to grant TLC the title of televised educator, particularly as they themselves have had to concede to lower ratings of educational programs to be replaced with tantalizing reality shows. TLC was founded in the 1980's and was broadcast, at no cost, by a NASA satellite; the priority was to provide educational content for the American public. TLC began to struggle in the 90's and was forced to drop some programming that was not receiving many viewers (Ready, Set, Learn), at this time Discovery was culling the desired TLC audience. This established a pattern that occurred until 2000, when nearly all educational programs had been replaced by more popular reality shows. Rutledge University found that Reality TV altered our cognitive perception of rewards and motivation, while providing us with a limited and inaccurate view of reality. Although TLC does provide some degree of "teaching", do we want to encourage our future generations to watch this channel? I certainly don't trust Honey Boo Boo to deliver meaningful life lessons.
MaddietheOpinionated

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent as well for not only providing a great argument for their side of the debate, but accepting the challenge as a whole.

To begin, my opponent states a very true point of reality TV limiting reality itself. While this is quite true, I believe that the shows still do teach us something. They provide an inaccurate look at the reality of what they are about because personal issues are thrown in to capture the audience. Nowadays, people do want to learn, but they want to learn with something that can catch their attention. By adding in drama going on with the characters themselves, people continue to watch, and still are learning about the topic of that show. TLC is probably well aware that shows like Honey Boo do not provide the greatest message, but they have an audience who may not only care for the family's personal problems, but being in pageants. The family of Honey Boo Boo is not particularly rich, and there are probably viewers who want to learn about how to save/bargain if they have children who want to be in beauty pageants. Honey Boo Boo aside, TLC aims to please their viewers. If they have the money from people watching their "not so great shows", they can put it towards more educational television. The reality shows they offer are basically there to get viewers, keep them entertained, and get money. With money, comes new ideas for more educational programming. As for future generations, they could still watch and learn something from TLC's programs. It is just up to the parent or guardians to keep those children aware of what is right, what is wrong, and to form their own ideas of what they watch. TLC still should be considered "The Learning Channel" because their shows are educational, it is just that the shows are focused on expanding the views and attention spans of their audience.
Nobodycares

Con

This claim is true; TLC could use their profits from less educational programs to fund further educational programs, yet the trend seems to lead more towards acquiring profit. As Discovery's ratings drop further and further each year, they are also forced to acquire more and more vacuous reality shows. TV becomes less and less engaging, we have become a culture of cheap thrills and instant rewards at the expense quality and originality. We simply do not want to learn, the notion that we may one day witness a live TV show where contestants battle to the death every Tuesday night at 8pm, becomes less and less far fetched. It is also true that we can learn something from anything, though the depth and breadth are drastically different. The question is do we want to assign TLC as THE learning channel? Certainly when we can learn far more, by not watching TLC programs.

I'd like to thank my very thoughtful opponent for her arguments and this very unique debate topic.
Posted by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
Shoot. That was an accident. My computer was acting up.
The_Master_Riddler
The_Master_Riddler
I would accept the challenge, but I don't watch TLC.
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
MaddietheOpinionatedNobodycaresTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter TMR
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
MaddietheOpinionatedNobodycaresTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro proved that you are still learning even though the shows aren't entirely educational, it teachs you life lessons.