Lryeann719
dsjpk5

Can video games be good for teens?

dsjpk5
Started: 4/24/2017 Category: Games

Lryeann719

Pro

If you're buying gifts for children this holiday season,chances are very good there are games on someone's wish list. But should you buy them those games? Are they just mind candy, capable of rotting kids'brains?
Over the last few years, there's been a lot of research done on the social, emotional, mental and physical benefits of gaming, and the results may surprise you: video games actually have considerable real-world benefits.
dsjpk5

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate.

PLAGIARISM

My opponent has plagiarized her entire first round from the following website:

https://www.usatoday.com...

I ask the voters to consider this when voting on this debate.

As my opponent has yet to make an argument, I will simply accept the debate this round, as is customary.
Lryeann719

Pro

Video games can help kids with their problem solving skills and that can turn out to be something great.the next genaration is our future and will become the next big thing.
Supporting website:
http://kidshealth.org...
dsjpk5

Con

REBUTTAL

My opponent is mistaken. Video games do not impart problem solving skills. That's an illusion. The real world isn't like the fantasy world of video games. Those who believe their video game skills will become a benefit are in for a shock, as we see from this quote from the Washington Post:

"When I play a game, I know if I have a few hours I will be rewarded," he said. "With a job, it"s always been up in the air with the amount of work I put in and the reward." [1]

As we can see, the fantasy world of video games doesn't transfer to the real world. They don't provide one with problem solving skills. And considering this was the only alleged benefit my opponent claimed, we're left with the realization that there's simply no benefit.

NEGATIVE ARGUMENT

Not only do video games not provide us with any benefits, there's scholarly research indicating video games have negative effects upon those who play them. According to them, 85% of video games have some level of violence as part of the game, and this depiction of violence can result in an increase of aggression, and a decrease of empathy:

"The research demonstrates a consistent relation between violent video game use and increases in aggressive behavior, aggressive cognitions and aggressive affect, and decreases in prosocial behavior, empathy and sensitivity to aggression," [2]

With all of this in mind, the resolution has been negated.

1. https://www.washingtonpost.com...

2. http://www.apa.org...
Posted by dsjpk5 11 months ago
dsjpk5
Good question.
Posted by EnchantedPlatinum 11 months ago
EnchantedPlatinum
What is actually happening here?
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Keep it up, guys. The debate with the most comments is always on the homepage of the website!
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Posted by Lryeann719 1 year ago
Lryeann719
@BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 like you just did, sorry that i have a job and bills to pay
Posted by Lryeann719 1 year ago
Lryeann719
Posted by Lryeann719 1 year ago
Lryeann719
Posted by Lryeann719 1 year ago
Lryeann719
Posted by Lryeann719 1 year ago
Lryeann719
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
Lryeann719dsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The resolution is surprisingly easy for Pro to affirm, so the debate hinged on whether that happened. The first round is plagiarised, so I'm going to ignore the arguments made there and award Con the conduct point. The following is the only argument Pro made to affirm the resolution: "Video games can help kids with their problem solving skills and that can turn out to be something great." So I can take this assertion which holds a surprising amount of weight due to the BoP. Or, I can take Con's referenced (but brief) argument that Pro's assertion isn't true. I think in light of this, in realising that this debates boils down to this contention, I think Con has the edge due to the referenced argument which addresses Pro's argument. Hence, I give argument and source points to Con.
Vote Placed by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
Lryeann719dsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Plagiarism.
Vote Placed by Coveny 1 year ago
Coveny
Lryeann719dsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Plagiarism cost Pro the conduct point. Pro only had one point that wasn't well supported. Con used an article that indicated that video games cause problems at work, (didn't reference problem solving skill which was dishonest of Con, but not as bad as plagiarism) and that video games create aggression which were supported. This is a free win for Con in my opinion, as Pro did not put up a fight.