Lisen2Reason
9spaceking

Can you actually prove anything?

Lisen2Reason

Pro

I will debating that you cannot actually prove anything. psI made this for the sake of the argument because why not.
9spaceking

Con

It is possible to prove very simple axioms.
The most famous is arguably "I think, therefore I am". This is easily proved, when you are able to have electronic brain signals, you are obviously not brain dead. "Brain dead" is when nothing can work in your body or mental processes, but thinking contradicts this. When thinking, it is impossible to not be there.
Lisen2Reason

Pro

How do you know you are the one thinking? It could be something inside your head talking hmm. PS: this is more or less a joke argument for fun and just for arguments sake.
9spaceking

Con

Be careful, I said whenever you think you are. Even if it is "something inside your head talking", that thing must exist in the first place. You must exist in order to hear whatever comes out of that. There are simply statements that are true and need not to be proved in order to be true. A number equals itself, or something that is absolutely true cannot also be absolutely false. If my opponent somehow manages to refute these fundamental statements of absolute truth, then he has only helped me by proving that I cannot prove anything; because without these basic statements we really cannot prove anything. It's a paradox that only goes in my favor; if something that is absolutely true by definition needs no proof and can be simply accepted, it is proved. On the other hand, if my opponent somehow refutes it, then he still proves something--that it can't be proved. Somehow.
Lisen2Reason

Pro

Lisen2Reason forfeited this round.
9spaceking

Con

My opponent has failed to refute me. Vote me.
Posted by FeatherlessBiped 1 year ago
FeatherlessBiped
Yes. math. in accordance with the tautological nature of euclidean mathematics.