julianna.rose
MacyC

Can you live without love and still be truly happy?

julianna.rose

Con

Hello, Thank you to my opponent, i wish you the best of luck.

I will keep this short and sweet, i would like to hear your argument before i put more of my input in.

Love is something that everyone needs, whether it's through a dog, cat, family, girlfriend, husband or whomever. You need it to be completely happy.
MacyC

Pro

This seems an interesting topic to discuss, so I accept your challenge, and look forward to debating with you. Let's work under a few assumptions:

1) What you are referring to when you suggest that a person needs "a dog [or] a cat" is not love but rather companionship. A pet cannot feel love, only dependency. For the sake of this debate let's assume that love and companionship are interchangeable.

2) Let us also assume that "happiness" is a state of being in which a person is so content with their place in life that if given the opportunity they would not make any dramatic changes (this is taking happiness to its logical extreme, but I think this will make the debate easier).

That cleared up, my beginning point is this:

If what you assert is true, then a person who is completely alone cannot be happy. But I would argue that there are plenty of people who isolate themselves in an attempt to reach inner peace. As a matter of fact there are many religions that require practitioners to detach themselves from the physical world. Buddhism, for example, states that in order to reach Nirvana people must overcome their attachments and desires to/for other people. Mind you, Buddhism is a religion that many would argue has no central deity, so it is not as if its practitioners are striving for the love of a deity. Basically this means that the only way a person can be truly happy is if they give up their want for love. You are suggesting that these religions are completely off base on this point.

That's all for now. I look forward to your response.
julianna.rose

Con

julianna.rose forfeited this round.
MacyC

Pro

MacyC forfeited this round.
julianna.rose

Con

I am going to have to disagree with your statement, that a pet cannot feel love, i would like to refer you to this article, "http://www.petcentric.com...;

I don't believe this is true, i believe that you have to have some type of love surrounding you in order to achieve full happiness. It can just be the love of your family but you do need that love in order to have that happiness. every person in there life believes that someone out there loves them, whether it be a family member, spouse, or even god. everyone has some type of love, and without it, we would not be able to function as "normal" happy human beings.

This is all for now, i look forward to your response.
MacyC

Pro

MacyC forfeited this round.
Posted by julianna.rose 3 years ago
julianna.rose
I apologize for forfeiting this round, i lost track of time.