Can you romantically love more than one person at once
Debate Rounds (4)
2. Love is deep feeling of affection towards another.
3. Romantically is the act of expressing love towards another.
4. Humans are capable of expressing love towards more than one person at a time, for example it is possible for one to bring flowers to multiple loved ones in one day.
5. Bring flowers could be considered an act of expressing love.
6. Sex can be considered an act of love.
7. Many cultures practice polygamy.
8. The idea of loving only one person is made up by religious organization in an effort stop polygamy, why would religious organizations try to stop something that was not happening, hence loving more than one person is possible and present in human culture
9. We are mammals that evolved from less advanced kind.
10. The purpose of animals, including mammals, is survival of the fittest, which is to pass on ones genes to the next generation as many times as possible, creating a better opportunity for survival of one"s genes.
11. If humans evolved to only love on person it would decrease the chance for ones genes to survive.
12. Example, if you loved one person who could not bear children, than you chance of passing on your genes is zero.
13. Therefore, it is possible to romantically love more than one person at once, since religious organization are trying to stop it from occurring, why would they stop something that is not happening.
Premise 2 and Premise 3 because they are definitions.
Premise 5 because it is an act that is considered expressing love
Premise 9 - scientific definition
Premise 10 " scientific definition
Premise 1 " view of argument
Premise 4 " opinion
Premise 6 " opinion that can be argued
Premise 7 " not concrete definition
Premise 8 " opinion on subject matter
Premise 11 " conclusion to previous premises
Premise 12 " example
Premise 13 " conclusion
2.People sometimes confuse sex, lust, and infatuation for feelings of romantic love.
3.Thinking that you are romantically in love with two people at once is an indicator that you are emotionally confused and not being honest with how you feel.
4 & 5. Humans are very capable of expressing love to more than one person at a time, but that type of love could be platonic, such as the feelings towards a family member. My mother and sister share the same birthday, I sent them both flowers. Does this mean I am romantically in love with my mother and sister?
6. Sex can be considered an act of romantic love but can also be an act of lust, infatuation, or boredom. Sex alone has no indication of romantic love.
7. The practice of polygamy itself does not prove that it is possible to romantically love more than one person at the same time. It merely proves that a man has more than one wife. There are millions of people in this world that are in loveless marriages.
8. Religious organizations may have been trying to stop polygamy trying to prevent the lopsided ratio between men and woman couples which has nothing to do with romantically loving more than one person at once.
9. Being mammals have no bearing on if it is possible to romantically love more than one person at the same time.
10. I agree with the concept of survival of the fittest and that it is hardwired into genes to procreate as much as possible. However, there is a difference between mere sex and romantic love.
11. Why isn"t it possible to stay with one mate, whom you truly love and trust to raise children the right way with and have multiple children as opposed to just having sex with multiple partners having one child each with no love, decreasing the chance that the man will be able to help raise any of the children?
12. What if the man truly loves his wife romantically and has no desire to have children? And if the man did want to have children and cheated on his wife, does this necessarily indicate romantic love or just sex for the primary reason of procreation.
13. Love is deep feeling of affection towards another.
14. It is not possible to love more than one person at once.
15. Therefore, people involved in the relationship aren"t always honest with themselves or their partner.
16. Therefore, people sometimes cannot distinguish romantic love from other feelings.
17. Therefore, some kind gestures are indicative of more than one type of love.
18. Therefore, sex and sometimes procreation is a component of romantic love, not its entirety.
1. If the feelings of romantic love were once there then they will always be there regardless if the love has presently evolved to another kind.
2. That being emotionally confused has no bearing on ones capability to romantically love more than one person.
1. IF they don"t know that their feelings are gone how do they know for certain that they are not in fact romantically in love with two or more people at once.
3. Invalid premise. Not every one that thinks they are romantically in love with two people are emotionally confused.
4 and 5. No it doesn"t meant that you romantically love them, but just because one sends flowers to their mother or sister it doesn"t mean that they cant romantically love more than one person at once.
Agree with your 6
Agree with 10.
7. Usually people in marriage are romantically in love
8- disagree. Why would they care if there was a lopsided ratio.
12- Sex for procreation. But that doesn"t mean that a person cant romantically love more than one person at once.
13. People don"t have to be honest but can still love more than one person at once
14. If one could platonic love more that one person at once, why couldn"t you be capable of romantically loving more than one person at once.
3. Please explain why you think my premise is invalid.
4 & 5. Sending flowers has little to nothing to do with romantically loving 2 people at once. Please elaborate or dismiss this premise all together.
7. Yes, while people who get married are typically in love, sometimes they are not. Such as in cases of an arranged marriage or if people get married for the wrong reasons such as an unexpected pregnancy or money. Whether they are in a monogamous marriage or a polygamous marriage, marriage does not have an influence on if someone is capable of loving more than one person at the same time.
8. Men and society care about a disproportioned ratio because if there is 5 woman for every 1 man, there is going to be a lot of men with no woman. That can cause a major upset for a society. Polygamy also does not prove that someone can romantically love two people at once.
12. You just stated, agreeing with me, that the sex would purely be for procreation reasons, not because of romantic love. If you are going to continue on to say that it in fact doesn"t mean that they do not romantically love this other person then you need to prove why. You have contradicted yourself.
13. It is true that people don"t always need to be honest, but how does that help your point in one person being able to love more than one person at once?
14. Platonic love is less complex, intense, and less work. That"s why it is acceptable and understood why people have multiple friends and family members that they claim they love. You rarely hear people saying they have two boyfriends or girlfriends whom he/she both romantically loves because it is impossible.
Therefore, you may actually love two people at the same time but not romantic love.
Therefore, people who are married are not always in love.
Therefore, Polygamy has no impact on romantically loving two people at once.
Therefore, procreation purposes have nothing to do with romantic love.
2. There could be a scenario where a person was romantically in love with one person and found a new person that they are in romantically in love with too.
3. Because I could be romantically in love with two people and know how exactly how I feel.
4 and 5. But it can be apart of being romantically in love. For example on valentines day the number one item men give to people that they are romantically in love with are flowers. Therefore if a man gives a women flowers on valentines day, that is a family member, that odds are that he is romantically in love with that person.
7. Marriage by not be the end all indicator. But one could get married be romantically in love with them, and have someone on the side they are romantically in love with too.
8. Polygamy is not have to be an arranged marriage. Therefore why would they just marry someone for know reason. Romantic love is why someone gets married.
12. Sex can be for procreation. Romantically is the act of expressing love towards another. Sex doesn"t have to be it. Numerous things can be a sign of romantic love.
13. I was arguing your point, you were using honestly in your point. I was disagreeing with you point for round 1
14. It can happen. People can be romantically in love with more than one person at once. If it happen once in the world, than It can happen again. Might be rare but can happen.
Therefore it is possible to romantically love more than one person at once.
2. Anything is possible if you can prove it. You are not trying to prove your premise to be true you are just restating it.
3. Are you romantically in love with two people at once currently or previously? If so, please explain how and why this is possible.
4. Again, giving flowers is merely a gesture that can represent numerous things such as, condolences, best wishes, speedy recovery, birthdays, graduations etc. Flowers do not imply romantic love all of the time. My father got me flowers for Valentines Days every year when I was a little girl and he most certainly never felt any type of love for me besides one that a parent feels for their child.
7. They may be romantically in love with their spouse and marry them and just be cheating on them out of lust but think they are in love because they cannot distinguish the two feelings properly.
8. I never stated that polygamy had to be an arranged marriage and people do not always marry for romantic love. People get married for all types of different reasons that I stated in premise 7 last round. Polygamy is a convoluted practice that has been around for many centuries and is influenced by many different reason throughout time, such as religion, status, and sex. All having nothing to do with romantic love.
12. Yes, I am aware that sex is necessary for procreation, although it has little to do with this argument. Just because having sex with someone may be romantic doesn"t not mean it is accompanied by romantic love. I am sure there has been millions of people in this world who had romantic one night stands with no feelings of love involved.
13. If you are going to use honesty as part of your premise please be clearer. Not sure how you are relating it to your argument.
14. Has it happened once in the world? If so, please elaborate, hypothetically or realistically.
Therefore, people may be confused by too many feelings and they think they are in love with two people when they are not.
Therefore, giving flowers is a gesture that can represent many things besides romantic love.
Therefore, marriage does not indicate romantic love.
Therefore, sex does not indicate romantic love.
2. Therefore people are able to have multiple romantic love relationships.
3. If people practice polygamy, and get married for romantic love. Than people are out there that practice polygamy and get married under the conditions of romantic love.
4. Why would one of the world largest institutions, the catholic church, try to prevent something form happening, polygamy, if humans weren"t capable of having multiple romantic relationships, being one of the reason that humans do get married.
Therefore people are able to have multiple romantic love relationships
2.Polygamy only proves that a man is married to more than one woman at a time. Marriage does not imply love. People get married for various reasons other than love.
3.Sex and lust are both powerful things and they can be confused with actually loving someone but sex and/or lust does not equal romantic love.
4.Sex for means of procreation does not indicate romantic love, it merely indicates wanting to pass on your genes.
5.Sending flowers is a nice gesture, possibly of romantic love or many other reasons that are not romantic love. Just because you can send flowers to more than one person doesn"t mean you can romantically love more than one person at the same time.
6.It is not possible to romantically love more than one person at a time.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.