Sitar
Whatsreallyright

Can you think of a situation where abortion is the right thing to do?

Sitar has forfeited round #4.

Sitar

Pro

Pro means yes, and Con means no. My opponent will make the first argument.
Whatsreallyright

Con

I cannot make the first argument because my job is to argue that no t]it is never a good thing. So you would really have to bring up a case for me to debate.
Sitar

Pro

The mother hasw medical problems. Should she be allowed to have an abortion?
Whatsreallyright

Con

Well depends on the medical problems should one life be substituted for another? And surgery such as a C section is also another option. If the mother chose to "do" an act that resulted in the child's conception it is the mothers fault for putting herself in that position.

I would prefer if you outlined more specific kinds of medical issues because she could simply have a cold and that would be included in your blanket case.
Sitar

Pro

Women have the right to choose when their physical or mental health is threatened, the fetus has a fatal anamoly, the mother is rraped, and so on. Pregnancy would make me suicidal, so I don't want to give birth.
Whatsreallyright

Con

And all humans have the right to life. if the fetus has a fatal anomaly then its not abortion its a natural death. The baby did not rape the woman. So should rape develop into murder. two wrongs don't make a right
Posted by BackCommander 8 months ago
BackCommander
I was not insulting your intelligence, I didn't say not agreeing with me made you unintelligent, I was pointing out that your question pertained to a hypothetical situation in which we wouldn't have existed. My answer was a pretty logical, if not a slightly nihilistic, one.

What does legality have to do with this argument? Pretty sure this is a moral argument, not a legal one. I personally don't care if you walk up to someone and shoot them in the head, why would I? From a personal standpoint, if I happened to be the person you shot I wouldn't care. So yeah, there's your answer.

The problem with comparing abortion to murder (besides it being nothing more than a weak and vague appeal to emotion) is that living people often have others who care about them and/or have others to take care of. The lump of cells that probably will, but is not certain to, become a human being has no prior connections. It has no responsibilities, it has nothing.

We as a species kill plenty of our own every single day, why draw the line at a could-be human?
Posted by Whatsreallyright 8 months ago
Whatsreallyright
I could say the same for killing anyone because after death you would not have an "opinion of the matter". If I walked up and shot someone in the head they wouldn't care afterwards..they're dead....so should that also be legal?

And do not insult my intelligence because you do not agree with me......that is a level that anyone as "intelligent" as you should not stoop to.
Posted by BackCommander 8 months ago
BackCommander
"because it is not JUST a clump of cells do you forget that once upon a time that you were at that stage?"
No we all remember, we're just intelligent enough to understand that if we had been aborted it wouldn't matter whether or not we had been aborted. We wouldn't have become sentient and therefore wouldn't have an opinion on the matter.
Posted by Whatsreallyright 9 months ago
Whatsreallyright
because it is not JUST a clump of cells do you forget that once upon a time that you were at that stage? are you alive? you people try to justify murder by desensitizing it. Its a human and if you dont "consider" it alive it will be born and have a life you are just ending it before they have a voice.

The guy/gal that cures cancer was probably aborted.
Posted by dsjpk5 9 months ago
dsjpk5
Pro, if it's just a clump of cells, why is abortion ever wrong? Why are you saying it is only right sometimes?
Posted by Whatsreallyright 9 months ago
Whatsreallyright
then don't participate in activities that can produce a child