Rational_Thinker9119
TheMoose

Canada Is Better Than The USA

Rational_Thinker9119

Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

First round for acceptance.
TheMoose

Con

Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

I think there are many good reasons, that when combined, paint a clear picture; Canada is a better country than the USA. I have no hatred towards the USA, in fact, much of my family lives there and I am actually a dual citizen (I love California as well).

This will be quick and easy.

Why Is Canada Better Than The USA?

1. People in Canada live longer (we live around 3 years longer than Americans)

2. Surveys conclude that we are more satisfied with our lives than Americans

3. We have a lower suicide rate % regarding to the population

4. Canada is better educated (over 48% of Canadians have a post-secondary degree, compared to the USA's percentage, which is around 40%)

5. We are more fit then Americans. Over 35% of American's are obese, while in Canada, it is less than 25%.

6. In Canada, there is less income disparity

7. Our banks are better run and regulated (Four of the best world banks are Canadian, the top USA bank only came in 9th).

8. We have more gold medals than USA in the olympics

9. Our air is less polluted

10. It is predicted that due to our climate, and global warming, we will be a world superpower by 2050, with the USA faded out as a superpower by then

11. We have more water

12. We are more peacefull (we were ranked the 8th most peaceful country in the world)

13. Canada has WAY less crime percentage

14. Mass shootings here are extremely rare

15. Canadians make more than the average American

16. The rest of the world likes us better then the USA

Source for above: http://www2.macleans.ca...

All these facts paint a clear picture; Canada is a better country than the USA in almost every way conceivable. Also, the USA is overpopuated, and has less land than we do.
TheMoose

Con

Canada is a great country however compared it America, it just average. America is a Super Power, it leads the pack in the world. The impact that we have in the world is far more then Canada. For example in World War II which country ended the war in Japan?
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”
Isoroku Yamamoto

He wasn’t talking about Canada. If countries could choose Canada of U.S. to have as a ally 9 out of 10 times they would choose U.S.

"We have more water"

Water should not be a factor in the success of a country. America, contrary to Canada, has the largest fresh water reserves in the world.

"We have more gold medals than USA in the olympics"

Maybe in the Winter Olympics, but were you aware that the US receives on average, more medals overall then Canada? Were you also aware that Canada does far worst in the Summer Olympics. Since when did skiing determine the importance of your country, I really think that this point is highly irrelevant.

We have a higher GPD per capita.

That being so, America has the largest nominal GDP. Being 8 times higher then Canada's. Not to mention that we are ruling over a lot more land and populous then Canada.

"The rest of the world likes us better then the USA"

It seems you lack ample proof. Even if they were to like you more, they would likely come to the US when they need help. The US has a lot more capital to invest and soldiers to deploy. No doubt that countries would rather have the US backing them.

"Also, the USA is overpopulated, and has less land than we do."

That may be so, but America has more usable land. Much of the land in Canada are territories, because it is inhospitable. Most of the countries population live within 90 miles of the U.S boarder. The reason why is because the rest of Canada is not suitable for living. As for the overpopulation in America where is the proof of this, overpopulation is when there are two many people. America has tons and tons of land that can be used to live on and off of unlike Canada.

"it is predicted that due to our climate, and global warming, we will be a world superpower by 2050, with the USA faded out as a superpower by then."

This is a prediction. I would rather be a super power now that having the chance of being one in the future. With the world changing into a more environmental friendly place this scenario will probably never happen.

"We are more peacefull (we were ranked the 8th most peaceful country in the world)"

Canada wouldn't know this but one of the perks of being a Super Power is that you have to be the big brother. Believe me we don’t enjoy war but it is necessary to fight for those in need.

"Canadians make more than the average American"

I thought that you said Canadians are smarter. Money doesn’t make someone better than any one else. Some of the happiest people in the world are the poorest.

surveys conclude that we are more satisfied with our lives than Americans.

Being satisfied is not an accomplishment. Accomplishment is changing the world which America does a lot.

I would like to conclude that the points that you have presented are irrelevant. None of these have shown me that Canada is greater. Gold medals in the Olympics compare to nothing to the countries overall impact in the world. America is richer in culture, growth, and overall significance in the world. Canada is a great country but as for importance and significance in the world America is greater. I know that we a little arrogant and don’t get along with everyone but, the world respects us which is better than popularity.

http://www.diffen.com...

http://data.worldbank.org...

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com...

I would also like to thank jifpop90 for proof reading and making sure that I don’t sound like an arrogant American.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

Introduction

I thank my opponent for his response (I wasn't expecting such a lengthy one, but I will return the favor). However, all of his objections are severely misguided.

Canadians Live Longer

People who live in our country live longer by around 3 years. This went completely ignored by my opponent.

Canada Has A Lower Suicide Rate

My opponent never responded to this point. It stands.

Canadians Are More Fit

This was ignored by Con. This point stands.

Canada Has A Lower Crime Percentage

This is a HUGE point my opponent ignored. My country is safer, the USA is more dangerous.

Canada Has Less Pollution

This is a HUGE point that went uncontested.

Being A Super-Power And Having An Influence

The USA is a super-power due to military strength, which economically has run the USA to the ground due to all the money spend on pointless wars and weapons. The USA spends more on their military than most countries, and it is huge reason for all of the USA's debt, which is far less than Canada's debt (the USA owes at least 16 trillion, Canada only owes 1.2 trillion)[1][2]. Also, the influence on the world that the USA has is a bad influence, which makes it far worse than Canada. If the USA's influence was a good influence, and it is better than whatever Canada is doing, then the rest of the world should like the USA better. This is false. Canada is the 2nd most liked/ popular country in the world, with the USA only being the 8th most liked/ popular [3]. So, the world likes us better. It seems the USA's influence is generally regarded as a bad influence, so this cannot be counted as scored points for the USA. Most countries actually wish the USA would mind their own business, let alone having the intrusive "influence" that is costing its people so much money.

"If countries could choose Canada of U.S. to have as a ally 9 out of 10 times they would choose U.S." - You

This is because of the USA's military, but living in what is close to a police state with a big military doesn't make you a better country. What makes a great country is one that doesn't even need a huge military or military weapons, as nobody
wants to really harm you anyway. We don't don't need a big military, as we are more liked, and don't have nearly as many enemies as the USA.

Water

First of all, it is completely irrelevant that America has one of the largest fresh water reserves. We have more water. Period. Not only that, our tap water is held to a higher standard than the tap water in the USA [4], so we get cleaner water in our homes.

Gold Medals

The USA is overpopulated, so there is a bigger sample to choose from so it is to be expected that the USA does better by sheer probability (the more people there are, the more good players you will find). The fact that Canada is better than the USA in the winter Olympics speaks volumes when the odds are against us. Also, we are not talking about what country is more important, but what country is better. There can be a country nobody cares about, that is still plenty of times better than an "important" country. It is a fallacy to think that important equates to better. Many horrible things are important.

Canadians Are Smarter

What my opponent is referring to is only one aspect. For example, Canadians score 10% than Americans on IQ tests[5]. This should be expected, as we have a better education system than the education system in the USA and perform much higher [6]. Additionally, as I mentioned in my last round, a higher percentage of Canadians actually get a post-secondary degree than Americans. So, in the larger picture, we still are smarter in general.

The Rest Of The World Likes Us Better

I demonstrated this with a survey [3]. We are more popular and better liked. Yes, other countries would rather have the US as a war ally, but we stay out of other people's business (unless we are dragged into war with the US), so we don't have to worry about things like 911 happening in our country. The USA does. Then when it happens again, the USA will take another economic hit, and go to war again.

Canada Will Be a Super-Power By 2050

There is a good chance that this is true [7] due to everything we know about climate change. My opponent says it is better to be a super-power now, but there are two things wrong with that. One, it only thinks about the short term, and not the long term. What makes a country better is also based on the potentiality for the future. Secondly, the USA is a super-power for all the wrong reasons (military might), and is causing more harm for its people and others than good.

The USA Is Overpopulated And Has Less Land Than Canada

There are plenty of people living in all of the territories, so to say it is inhospitable is simply false. Also, this is the short term thinking I was talking about earlier. Due to global warming, all this land that is "too cold" will become warm and more comfortable to live in, while the USA will be dried up pretty badly (this is why we have a better future). Remember, the potentiality for the future is an important factor in determining which country is better. This applies to anything. It is better to have 100 eggs and 4 chickens, than 20 chickens and no eggs. This is due to the potentiality of the future, and propability of positive results.

We Are More Peaceful

My opponent did not dispute this point, and it stands. The USA's wars are mostly pointless. The people who committed the evil acts on 911 were from Saudi Arabia, and not from Afghanistan. The government lied about the weapons of mass destruction (or, at the very least were sloppy and stupid). Why all the countless money spent on war, and more and more Americans going into poverty?

Canada, in 2013, was ranked the 8th most peaceful country in the world, with the USA ranking an embarrassing 100th place! [8]

Canadians On Average, Make More Than Americans

Some of the happiest people are poor, but let's be real, that is rare.

“I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better.”

Mae West quotes (American Actress and sex symbol, 1892-1980)

In general, it is better to make more money on average.

Poverty, unfortunately for my opponent, is not a good thing, and America has a higher % of it than Canada [9].

Also, again, having an influence isn't a good thing if it is a bad influence. The USA may think they have a good influence, but the rest of the world disagrees, but they like Canada more, so we must be doing something better (probably because are a peaceful). So, America does a lot, but based on what it does, we can conclude that it just makes it more apparent that it is a worse country than Canada, ironically.

Summary

Canada is better than the USA because we live longer, are most satisfied with our lives, have a lower suicide rate, better educated, higher IQs, people are more fit in Canada, there is less income disparity, there is less crime in Canada, we are better at winter Olympics despite the odds, our air is less polluted, we have more/ cleaner water, we will be a super-power with all of our land and resources by the year 2050 while the USA will probably dry up, plus the rest of the world likes us better.

Canada is better in all important areas of life.

[1] http://www.globalresearch.ca...
[2] http://www.huffingtonpost.ca...
[3] http://o.canada.com...
[4] http://mobile.omg-facts.com...
[5] http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com...
[6] http://blogs.edweek.org...
[7] http://www.ctvnews.ca...
[8] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[9] http://russell-davidson.arts.mcgill.ca...
TheMoose

Con

TheMoose forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

My opponent forfeited the last round (all arguments extended). A few more points I would like to add:

Canada Breeds More Polite People

For example, a survey conducted showed that 90% of Canadians aged 18 - 25 will say "sorry" if someone bumps into them, which is a higher percentage than anywhere else in the world [1].

Canada Is Home To The #1 Summer Vacation Spot In The World

National Geographic Traveller named Muskoka as the #1 summer vacation spot in the world [2][3]

Water And Air (expanded, as I mentioned these in my last round)

World Health Organization dubbed Canada has the 3rd cleanest air on the planet (which beat the USA), also we have more lakes than any other country in the world (3 million), and 1/3 of the worlds fresh water is in Canada [4].

Our Economy Is Doing Better For The People

Watch video,

Summary

Why is Canada better than the US? Well, none of these points by themselves would warrant the resolution. But, taken as a whole, the resolution will be seen as clearly established to any reasonable individual. Canada is better than the USA because we live longer, we have a better banking system with way less corruption (same with government), surveys show that more of us are satisfied with our lives, Canada has a lower suicide rate, is better educated, is home to higher IQs, Canada has the #1 summer vacation destination, our ecomony is better (Canadians make more money, while the USA is still jumping over hurdles), people are more fit in Canada, Canada is more peaceful, more safe, there is a lower crime percentage in Canada, there is less income disparity, we are better at winter Olympics despite the odds, our air is less polluted (3rd best in the world), Canada breeds more polite people, we have more/ cleaner water (most of the fresh water with most of the lakes in the world), we will be a super-power with all of our land and resources by the year 2050 while the USA will probably dry up, plus the rest of the world likes us better, and we are more popular, as polls show.

It seems as if in all the important ways, Canada is better than the USA. The resolution has been established.

[1] http://www.queensu.ca...
[2] http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...
[3] http://greatworldgetaways.com...
[4] http://www.cnn.com...

TheMoose

Con

TheMoose forfeited this round.
Posted by Rational_Thinker9119 3 years ago
Rational_Thinker9119
Now I like the USA, but there is no doubt that Canada is better. Statistics prove it in all areas.
Rational_Thinker9119
Yes, we actually think this Jifpop09 because the facts prove it. In almost every area imaginable, Canada is just better then the USA. You may not like it due to misplaced patriotism, but it is true. The world agrees as well. Survey's prove that the world likes us more, and that we are more popular. For example, this poll [http://www.bbc.co.uk...] proves that Canada is the 2nd most popular and liked country in the WORLD, with America only being the 8th most popular country. Hell, American's wear the maple leaf when they go to certain parts of Europe or else they would get robbed.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 3 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
Hmm.. maybe I'll live in Canada when I'm older.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
Man, I would LOVE to take this debate. These Canadians actually think this. They are kind of just there to be honest. Moose, please take this guy down.
Rational_Thinker9119
General.
Posted by Topkek 3 years ago
Topkek
On what criteria are we basing this debate on?
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Rational_Thinker9119TheMooseTied