Rockylightning
Nails

Candy should be used as a reward for students

Nails

Rockylightning

Con

First i would like to thank the judges and the pro for doing this debate...
First i would like to introduce my points

I.Bribes
a.Some child development experts also describe rewards and incentives for good behavior as bribes. Dr. Martin E. Ford of Stanford University does not believe parents should offer rewards when a child behaves, "In the short-run, bribes produce a high degree of effort from children, but they can have negative long-term consequences." ["Parent & Child," Lawrence Kutner, The New York Times, 1991]
b.Small rewards, such as stickers, can be helpful in teaching young children to complete tasks. These however, can cause dependence on outside motivators rather than learning internal motivation and developing a sense of pride for "a job well done." One drawback to incentive reading is the complaint that students are reading for rewards. They are not being intrinsically motivated to read books on their own or finding the passion for reading. Many times students are working towards a prize instead of reading for pleasure. Another teacher complaint with AR is that the reading quizzes that students take to receive points are many times mainly lower level comprehension questions.
II.Mixed message.
a.By rewarding students with candy we are giving them the mixed message that whenever they get a question right they will get a reward.
b.This isn't the way it works in college, and because of the lack of candy reward they might not like learning in college.
c.Shouldn't learning be it's own reward?
i.If a student answers a question right, he has a sense of pride, candy or not.
ii.When you answer a question right, that's its own reward.
III.Promotes obesity
a.In every class lets say you earn one piece of candy
i.And you have 6 classes without PE so that would make 6 pieces of candy per day.
ii.With 6 pieces of candy, each on average being 28 calories. This adds up to 200 calories! (the Rollo website)
iii.200 calories added to the number eaten for meals each day is not exactly helping when it comes to preventing obesity.

For all these reasons judges the con has clearly won this debate
Thank You
Nails

Pro

I'll begin with rebutting my opponent

======
I. Bribes
======

a. That's good to know. I can't see how it matters.

---

b. "They are not being intrinsically motivated to read books"

Nobody but you can make you intrinsically motivated. Nothing, including candy, adds or detracts from 'intrinsic motivation.' The problem is with students who need extrinsic motivation and aren't getting it.

"Another teacher complaint with AR is that the reading quizzes that students take to receive points are many times mainly lower level comprehension questions."

What does that have to do with candy as motivation?

============
II. Mixed Message
============

a. "By rewarding students with candy we are giving them the mixed message that whenever they get a question right they will get a reward."

How is this a mixed message?

---

b. "This isn't the way it works in college, and because of the lack of candy reward they might not like learning in college."

So we should do this in college, too.

---

c. "Shouldn't learning be it's own reward?
i.If a student answers a question right, he has a sense of pride, candy or not."

Ok?

"ii.When you answer a question right, that's its own reward."

To some people it is. How does this matter?

==============
III. Promotes Obesity
==============

"a.In every class lets say you earn one piece of candy
i.And you have 6 classes without PE so that would make 6 pieces of candy per day."

Why do we need to earn candy in every class, every day? If it becomes commonplace, it's no longer a reward; it's simply an expectation of the students that they will receive candy. The candy should only be doled out when a student earns it.

"ii.With 6 pieces of candy, each on average being 28 calories. This adds up to 200 calories! (the Rollo website)"

Why don't we give out healthy candy, then?
Pages upon pages of sugar-free candy: http://www.candywarehouse.com...
Forbes article on new healthy candies: http://www.forbes.com...

Even if we don't, candy in moderation can still be a healthy thing: http://www.forbes.com...

"iii.200 calories added to the number eaten for meals each day is not exactly helping when it comes to preventing obesity."

It's not exactly hurting either. Considering the amount of sugar the average child eats, even if it were 200 calories, that's not exactly a large impact on their health.

============
A Case for Candy
============

I'll continue with my opponent's Roman Numeric system.

Contention I. Positive Reinforcement

When children to good they are rewarded; when they do bad they are punished. There's a reason for it. It teaches kids to associate doing 'good' things (reading, homework, good grades, etc.) with rewards. This reinforces the idea that kids should do these things, which leads to greater education.

Here, Brenda L. Gargus explains why positive reinforcement works: http://life.familyeducation.com...

Contention II. Moderation

Even outside of conventional education, much of childhood knowledge comes from school interactions. [1] This includes eating habits. Students are given the candy in small servings (1-2 pieces.) This teaches them moderation in eating. Exposing students to this on a daily basis throughout their high school career hammers this message home: An appropriate serving of candy is 1-2 pieces. This is a far better way for students to learn eating habits than watching their friends gorge on candy on halloween.

[1] http://www.eric.ed.gov...
Rockylightning

Con

First I would like to thank the pro for joining this debate and I would like to thank the judges out there for judging.

First I would like to refute my opponents points
First my opponent stated in a refutation to my argument "bribes" I can't see how it matters
It matters because if we BRIBE our children into wanting to get smarter, they won't have those bribes when they get older. So THAT'S why it's important; children will be confused when they get a job. "Good work Simmons,"" Where's my candy sir?" (that's a watered down dramatized way of examining it but it competes the point)
They argued against my obesity argument
They said why don't we give them healthy candy?
"AS THE SECOND SPEAKER FOR THE DEBATE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO PROPOSE A PROPOSAL THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE IN THE FIRST SPEECH so, so that proposal will be ignored. Also this debate is about CANDY, this may include healthy candy, yes, but it also includes VERY NON HEALTHY CANDY: which kids seem to like more, for example, milk duds, rollos, Hershey's, Mr good bar, snickers, milk ways, and twix. just to name a few.

They also stated that 200 calories isn't a large impact on their health: WITH THE OBESITY EPIDEMIC ON THE LOOSE, why should we add ANY MORE TO A Child's DAY? The Pro has NOT CLEARLY STATED IN REFUTATION TO MY POINTS WHY CANDY IS BAD?

Now onto their points
They said that children associate doing good things with rewards and doing bad things with punishment: This is not true: after a while kids get too much reward and start getting greedy, competitive, and cruel to the students who don't get rewards. I even remember at my old school that kids would be laughing at the kids who didn't get a pace of a Hershey bar. Saying "HA HA your not smart cause you didn't get candy." Do we WANT this to happen?
For their second point they said moderation:
"MODERATION IS NOT HAPPENING: if we give them one to two pieces PER PERIOD IN THE DAY, (which is six to seven) THE CANDY WILL AD UP TO A WHOPPING 12-14 PIECES A DAY
12- 14 PIECES A DAY IS NOT TEACHING GOOD EATING HABITS, BUT REVERSINGTHEM
TELLING THEM THAT MORE THAN 10 PIECES OF CANDY IS FINE
DO WE WANT THIS?

For the points that the pro has not refuted and that the points I have refuted, the con has clearly won this debate, thank you
Nails

Pro

====
Bribes
====

"First my opponent stated in a refutation to my argument "bribes" I can't see how it matters
It matters because if we BRIBE our children into wanting to get smarter, they won't have those bribes when they get older. So THAT'S why it's important; children will be confused when they get a job. 'Good work Simmons,b 'Where's my candy sir?' (that's a watered down dramatized way of examining it but it competes the point)"

--Pay attention to your own numbering system. "I can't see how it matters" was addressed at your (a) which was just a quote from someone (allegedly) saying candy is bad. I gave a rebuttal to (b) underneath it which you haven't at all responded to.

=====
Obesity
=====

"AS THE SECOND SPEAKER FOR THE DEBATE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO PROPOSE A PROPOSAL THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE IN THE FIRST SPEECH so, so that proposal will be ignored."

--Why?

"this may include healthy candy, yes, but it also includes VERY NON HEALTHY CANDY: which kids seem to like more"

--Why? If we have suger-free candy, why would we give them sugary candy?

"They also stated that 200 calories isn't a large impact on their health: WITH THE OBESITY EPIDEMIC ON THE LOOSE, why should we add ANY MORE TO A Child's DAY? The Pro has NOT CLEARLY STATED IN REFUTATION TO MY POINTS WHY CANDY IS BAD?"

Not bad for a non-responsive appeal to emotion.
1. He doesn't make any claims, just questions.
2. He ignores my last argument which is that 200 calories (which is an extreme exaggeration of 1-2 sugar-free candies per day) won't have much of an impact.

===============
Positive Reinforcement
===============

"They said that children associate doing good things with rewards and doing bad things with punishment: This is not true: after a while kids get too much reward and start getting greedy, competitive, and cruel to the students who don't get rewards."

--This is empirically denied. Google 'positive reinforcement' and you'll find that all experts suggest it is one of the best methods for teaching children correct behavior.

"I even remember at my old school that kids would be laughing at the kids who didn't get a pace of a Hershey bar. Saying 'HA HA your not smart cause you didn't get candy.' Do we WANT this to happen?"

--Sure we do. That's motivation to do better.

=======
Moderation
=======

DO WE WANT THIS?"

--Like I said in my first speech, the solution is to only give out candy conservatively. There is no reason to give out "two pieces PER PERIOD IN THE DAY."

I await my opponent's last rebuttal.
Rockylightning

Con

In a refutation to my point "Kids seem to like non healthy candy" my opponent stated that if we have sugar free candy why would we give them sugar candy: THE FACT is that kids prefer sugar candy and the amount of teachers who give fat free non sugar candy is extremely small. Why would teachers give candy that kids don't even like... as a reward...
in a survey by tolona polls there was a poll stating all candy. The non fat candy (ex. red vines) were under 1% so to say that these candy should be given out is extremely false

Now onto his rude comments during his speech
he stated that i don't make claims only questions, i made claims on my first speech, now i ask the questions and you fail to answer them, he only insults me and has not clearly and weakly refuted my points

----
Now onto the points that he has said i have not refuted
----
I have ALREADY stated that 200 CALORIES ADDED TO A DIET THAT COULD BE SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL BECAUSE OF THE OBESITY EPIDEMIC. WE ARE PROMOTING OBESITY BY GIVING KIDS CANDY THEY DONT NEED
EDUCATION IS IT'S OWN REWARD
for all these reasons w have won
Nails

Pro

"THE FACT is that kids prefer sugar candy"

1. How is that a fact?
2. Regardless, they still prefer sugar-free candy to no candy at all, which is what CON is giving them.

"the amount of teachers who give fat free non sugar candy is extremely small."

1. Says who? I would imagine that most teachers are more prone to give the less harmful candy to their students.
2. I'm arguing that we SHOULD give candy, not that we ARE doing it currently.

"Why would teachers give candy that kids don't even like... as a reward..."

1. Most sugar-free candy is delicious. As long as it's candy the kids are happy.
2. They don't have to eat it.

"in a survey by tolona polls there was a poll stating all candy. The non fat candy (ex. red vines) were under 1%"

1. I have no idea what 'tolona polls' is.
2. It would take 5 seconds to post a URL to verify this if it were actually real.
3. This is gibberish anyway. 1% of what?

---

"he stated that i don't make claims only questions, i made claims on my first speech"

Find a claim in this:

---

"I have ALREADY stated that 200 CALORIES ADDED TO A DIET THAT COULD BE SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL BECAUSE OF THE OBESITY EPIDEMIC."

This isn't even a complete sentence. I'm not quite sure the message my opponent is trying to convey. A piece of candy a day is going to spiral into an obesity epidemic?

"WE ARE PROMOTING OBESITY BY GIVING KIDS CANDY THEY DONT NEED"

Entirely the opposite. Read my point about moderation.

---

"EDUCATION IS IT'S OWN REWARD"

For my opponent, education is its own reward. He has been rewarded simply from having an educated discussion with me. I, however, am not intrinsicly motivated to learn. I need external stimulus to take interest in education. Voting for me certainly stimulates me externally (to continue debating, and thus continue learning) so both my opponent and I will be rewarded if you vote PRO.
Posted by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
Ah my first debate......
Posted by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
"AS THE SECOND SPEAKER FOR THE DEBATE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO PROPOSE A PROPOSAL THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE IN THE FIRST SPEECH."

You never stated that as a term of the debate and Pro did not agree to it. If you don't want opposing arguments you should say that.

Voting
Conduct: Pro, Don't overuse caps Con
Grammar: Pro, again caps
Convincing Arguments: Pro
Sources: Pro
Posted by Sylux 7 years ago
Sylux
Not with candy, but perhaps activities. For reasons I do not wish to disclose, I was recently expelled from school, and at the first Alternative School I attended, students who had accumilated enough behaviour and work points had the option to order Chinese food or Pizza on Fridays, and to watch a movie or play Pool or Ping Pong during the last 2-3 hours of school. It worked, and there weren't ever any confrontations between students and teachers (well, not that many, anyways).
Posted by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
yeah exactly
i agree to the below:
|
|
.V
Posted by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
come here little boy I have candy get in my van and drive away you know how it goes
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
It also pisses parents off to take their kids to the dentist and pay for treatment.

It also takes money and valuable class time to hand out candy in class. A simple method of rewarding students is to have a table with their names and give golden stars for various responsibilites throughout the week. At the end of the week, turn the stars into play money (Monopoly money), and at the end of every month, get parents to donate inexpensive children games or collective items. The kids can learn how to share, how to buy, and how to do mathematics when they exchange their money for prizes.
Posted by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
stranger abuse???
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
No, kids get candy at school, so they're less likely to accept it from strangers. It also increases the market for dentists/dental assistants thus providing jobs.
Posted by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
encourages stranger abuse lol
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
It shouldn't be used because it doesn't work! At least it didn't for me and my teacher friends =P
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 7 years ago
Rockylightning
RockylightningNailsTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
RockylightningNailsTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
RockylightningNailsTied
Vote Placed by Cherymenthol 7 years ago
Cherymenthol
RockylightningNailsTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
RockylightningNailsTied
Vote Placed by XimenBao 7 years ago
XimenBao
RockylightningNailsTied