neokansas
dunc22

Cannabis is only beginning to be understood as a plant with great potential to help many problems.

neokansas

Pro

Since the implementation of the Controlled Substances Act in 1970, cannabis has been classified as a schedule I substance [1] with no medical value, essentially a worser classification than cocaine and methamphetamine. America and the world has found it difficult to get adequate funding to scientifically study it effectively.

Some prominent doctors and scientists in the U.S. and the world have recently taken the stance that we have been victims of misinformation and propaganda, and that there is unmistakable evidence that cannabis does indeed have medical potential to help those with diseases that no other drugs can. Even some states who do allow for the sale of medical marijuana for chronic conditions don't allow for the extract of certain properties such as CBD, or cannabidiol from certain strains of the plant proven to help with certain ailments and diseases. This has created "drug refugees", or those who must leave their homes to live in specific geographical areas that allow medical marijuana to be cultivated, processed, purified and sold in order to treat certain medical conditions such as some rare forms of epilipsy.

Colorado has recently approved an initiative to spend 7 million dollars solely for the research of cannabis' potential. Cannabis is a complex plant with many properties we don't understand. Some think that if cannabis could be fully understood and cultivated for medical purposes, it could hold the cure for cancer, Alheimer's and other neurological disorders like anxiety. We already know that it can help many with chronic fatigue, inflammation, pain without the side effects that other pharmaceutical drugs have.

Scientists have only begun to understand that all throughout our own bodies we have what are known as endocannabinoid receptors. And that cannabis has cannabinoids that are naturally in sync with these receptors. Why have we been kept from learning about this natural substance that God has provided for us? A plant that grows on the earth for thousands of years. Used for thousands of years for it's medical, spiritual and industrial properties? Even industrial hemp, a form of cannabis, has been a valued for centuries because of it's incredible fibrous content that regenerates so much incredibly faster than trees! Tree huggers can feel good about this. And it's resources create quality textiles, clothing and canvas and biofuel. The first cars used hemp-based fuel! This was before gasoline existed!

This plant could be the answer to so many of our problems in health, economy and industry. We do we continue to demonize it? We all need to join together and say no to this direction we are currently going. Let's unite, write our congressman and let's give this movement a boost.

[1] http://www.gpo.gov...;
dunc22

Con

Let me start this off by saying I do smoke weed and I do believe it has medical values however what i do not believe is that weed is everything its cracked up to be by its users

(1) its not the cure for cancer- many people with cancer smoke weed, and many people with cancer who smoke weed also die
it very much s helps to eliviate pain however to say we have a miracle drug here that will get rid of your cancer is rediculous as there is simple no evidence to point towards that

(2) its not gods gift to man any more- at this point man has altered and forced growing of cannabis that is essentialy a many made crop now

(3)people abuse it- ever since its been known that cannabis is not addicting every stoner uses this in a pro-legalizing debate
however it is just not physically addicting(no physical side effects from trying to quit) however it is mentally addicting and some people do feel they need to smoke to be alive. I have seen more than one people loose themselves to weed.

(4) no need for hemp products- bamboo can do just about everything hemp can and has the same positive impact on the environment without being an illegal substance

(5) before cannabis was illegal it was legal- along with cocaine heroine and many other dangerous drugs that people though were medicine and would cure them but in the end it was just that people liked getting high off of them

I shall leave it at that for this round
neokansas

Pro

I will address your first statement, “It's not everything it's cracked up to be.” That's exactly my whole point of having this debate. We need to study it to know what it will be cracked up to be, because we certainly do not know presently. We need to study it because we don't understand exactly, scientifically, and medically what exactly it's potential is. Thanks for emphasizing that and agreeing to discuss it in this forum.

Dunc22 writes

its not the cure for cancer- many people with cancer smoke weed, and many people with cancer who smoke weed also die it very much s helps to eliviate pain however to say we have a miracle drug here that will get rid of your cancer is rediculous as there is simple no evidence to point towards that.”

I never stated that cannabis is a miracle drug that can cure cancer. Specifically, I wrote, “Cannabis is a complex plant with many properties we don't understand. Some think that if cannabis could be fully understood and cultivated for medical purposes, it could hold the cure for cancer, Alheimer's and other neurological disorders like anxiety.” My hope is that with scientific study and intensive research, they will understand the complex structure of cannabis with perhaps over 400 unique chemical compounds. Pharmaceutical companies could derive new medicines with it's derivatives. But before this can occur, our government must first reclassify it as a substance with potential so that various scientific and educational institutions can receive the funding and can legitimately conduct the needed research.

Dunc22 writes

its not gods gift to man any more- at this point man has altered and forced growing of cannabis that is essentialy a many made crop now”

Not always has man had the knowledge to enhance the various cultivation techniques that speed up healthy growing. Not always have we had the technology to cross breed different strains for certain qualities similar to what we do for food crops today. But to say food or cannabis is a man made crop is something I do not understand. Please elaborate.

Dunc22 writes

people abuse it- ever since its been known that cannabis is not addicting every stoner uses this in a pro-legalizing debate however it is just not physically addicting(no physical side effects from trying to quit) however it is mentally addicting and some people do feel they need to smoke to be alive. I have seen more than one people loose themselves to weed.”

For the sake of this debate, I'd like the focus to be about whether or not you feel it is or not worth the research and finding the truth about it's medical, industrial and economical aspects. But I will say that yes, marijuana is psychologically addictive to some. The National Institute of Drug Abuse study states it is addictive to every 1 of 6 users[1].

Dunc22 writes

no need for hemp products- bamboo can do just about everything hemp can and has the same positive impact on the environment without being an illegal substance”

There are several things questionable about bamboo. Can it grow in as many climates as hemp can? Perhaps. Does it regenerate as quickly as hemp? Absolutely. Does it have fibrous content that is useful? Yes, but according to Scientific American, “The usual process by which textiles labeled as being made of bamboo are produced uses only rayon made from the fibers with heavy employment of chemicals. To accomplish this, the fibers are broken down with chemicals and extruded through mechanical spinnerets; the chemicals include lye, carbon disulfide and strong acids.” [2] Since harsh chemicals and acids are needed to utilize it's fiber, I would say that it is not environmentally friendly like cannabis which does not require chemicals and acids to break down its fiber for industrial uses. Does it contain the oils that produce bio fuels? After researching bamboo, I'm not finding anything about oil content used for combustible fuel. If you find anything, please let me know as I am interested. Hemp is not illegal in all states. Colorado is already producing hemp for industrial purposes today[3]. Industrial hemp is a very profitable crop. Our farmers will surely profit and our economy prosper if we produce it and stop the importation from the many countries that export it.

Dunc 22 writes:

before cannabis was illegal it was legal- along with cocaine heroine and many other dangerous drugs that people though were medicine and would cure them but in the end it was just that people liked getting high off of them”

Again, the difference is cocaine and heroin (an opiate derivative) are schedule II drugs and still considered drugs with medicinal qualities and are still used today. Marijuana is a schedule I drug, classified as a drug with no useful potential. Yet, there is documented evidence by prominent doctors that it has helped kids with epilepsy when no other drugs could. That reason alone is proof that drug has been an error in it's classification.

[1] http://www.drugabuse.gov...

[2] Michelle Nijhuis (June 2009). "Bamboo Boom: Is This Material for You?". Scientific American Earth 3.0 special. Scientific American. Retrieved 11 August 2009.

[3] Colorado Amendment 64

dunc22

Con

Excellent rebuttal, I enjoy debates that I need to work for :)

On the note I would like to say a cannabis derivative is not the same as cannabis and yes must be further research to produce but then you must think that to do this will take cancer research money and when people find out that their cancer research money is going into cannabis the vast majority of people who do not smoke and do not know its medical value will not be happy and either stop founding (thus making the money not available to study) or demand that the money go to use somewhere else.
like you said cannabis has over 400 unique chemical compounds which means pinpointing 1 or 1 combinations of such chemicals for a derivative that may with no real evidence (that it cures), cure cancer will take a huge huge amount of time and a very large sum of money that all could be going towards any leads they have in cancer research at the moment not to mention doing that all over again to find more than possibly non existent cures for anxiety and everything else.

As for the not Gods gift anymore, i meant it in a sense that how most of the food we have today is genetically modified and would not exist in nature without human interference well the same goes for much of what is pot in today's culture, with more strains than you can count all bred from crossing two strains that would never even be geographical possible to cross and using chemical nutrients in order to bring up to potency in amounts tat would never be natural on this earth.

I would like to ask you a question. Say we researched into it and found a chemical in cannabis that that can not cure but helps greatly with depression except is not psychoactive, if offered between regular cannabis and this derivative which do you think someone who has used Cannabis before is going to choose?

off my own experience I know I would choose the psychoactive regular cannabis because of the side effects that i desire
my point being even if there was an Cannabis derived alternative available I believe many people would still want the original thing
neokansas

Pro

I think once cannabis is rescheduled as a type II drug, it would allow research. With many prominent successful doctors and scientists endorsing cannabis, it's really just a matter of time. But as we all know, congress is deadlocked on many issues. The democrats have a majority in the senate, and the republicans have a majority in the house. Neither one have the votes to overrule the other. So, we can't get any liberal agendas through, just as we cannot get any conservative agendas through.

When it comes to creating strains, they will target chemicals that are found to be effective from the research (see paragraph 1). I'm reading that CBD, the non-psychoactive component showing effectiveness in epilepsy, is the one that has also shown effective for anxiety. Many of the more modern strains sold in medical dispensaries are low overall in this. I believe they will have to cultivate this strain and others to fully study it, from the neuron perspective.

The understanding of cannabis will bring about I believe a whole array of pharmaceutical medications that will help humanity without the psychoactive components and the necessity to smoke it as a method of delivery. This is an exciting time and brings hope for many.
dunc22

Con

dunc22 forfeited this round.
Posted by james_barnett75 3 years ago
james_barnett75
1.Your committing the "natural is always good" fallacy.
2."Some prominent doctors and scientists in the U.S. and the world have recently taken the stance that we have been victims of misinformation and propaganda" this isn't something that's disagreed upon so to say "some prominent doctors and scientists" is misleading.
3. The existence of cannabinoid receptors in our bodies does not mean we have an innate necessity to or would even benefit from consuming marijuana. Our bodies produce cannabinoids and upsetting the natural order of our bodies by flooding it with more may have negative effects.
4. The effects of marijuana on the body is not well understood and the studies that have been done are few and some contradictory.
Posted by Disquisition 3 years ago
Disquisition
You do realize that this is a debate so the purpose is to propose a resolution that is refuted be the opponent?