Tommy.leadbetter
meghapaulson

Cannabis should be legalised across the globe.

Tommy.leadbetter

Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Cannabis should be legalised across the globe. I am not saying it is harmless, I am saying that a government who bans it's citizens from using it has become over controlling.

This debate is about freedom and democracy, more than the health risks of cannabis.

Also, this debate is set in the context of the current world affairs. One must accept that they think alcohol, coke, cigarettes e.t.c should all be illegal, if they think cannabis should be illegal as well, based on its health risks.

Impossible to accept, only wise debaters please. No 'smart/dumb' debaters please who are ready to just drown the readers in statistics and half-proofs. This is a philosophical discussion centred around the extent to which rulers can control ones life.
meghapaulson

Con

Sorry, I do not agree with legalizing it. What are the effects of second-hand marijuana smoke? Contact high? Come on, go to high school. You can esily distinguish the pot smokers from the non-pot smokers. Marijuana kills brain cells. Maybe not all at once, but they do die. People who smoke it tend to be slower and not do as well academically. I have never met a valedictorian who smoked pot/weed. I really don't see what it could possibly do medically, really. Some doctors have actually said the same thing. Sometimes, they prescribe it just to get rid of the patient because it's what they want. Dentists, doctors, other MD's do this with "normal" meds as well. Would there be a separate section in restaurants as well? "Smoker or non smoker? Weed or tobacco?" There's enough wrong in the US; teenage pregnancy, obesity, diabetes, cancer. Let's fix what's wrong before making new problems!
If marijuana were to be legalized, consumption of it would likely increase. Along with that would likely come health and community costs: increase in accidents due to motor impairment, increase in associated illnesses such as cancer, as is the case with cigarette smoking, as well as the multiple hospitalizations and surgeries often accompanying those addicted to nicotine. Marijuana is not harmless; it is addictive, and it does affect the brain. Do you want to be on the road with a bunch of stoned drivers? Think about it....
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Thank you for your response, I look forward to a good debate.

I don't want to get caught up in a discussion about the physical effects of cannabis on the user, I am weary of arguing the same points over and over. Everybody knows alcohol is far worse, and yet they are at ease with its legalisation. The question about whether cannabis should be banned is about freedom and government power. Are you at ease with the fact that you will be put into a cage by force, and contained against your will, if you choose to grow a plant on your own land that you intend to use?

Just for the record, I will set out some facts in attempt to put the effects of marijuana into perspective. I will compare it to another substance that we are totally at ease with. Indeed I would say that we are more than just at ease with, we endorse it. Adverts and media encourage it, and its freely available and advertised all over. It sponsors all our major social events such as sports events, it is alcohol. So lets see.

Many people die from alcohol use. Nobody dies from marijuana use.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that more than 37,000 annual U.S. deaths, including more than 1,400 in Colorado, are attributed to alcohol use alone (i.e. this figure does not include accidental deaths). On the other hand, the CDC does not even have a category for deaths caused by the use of marijuana.

People die from alcohol overdoses. There has never been a fatal marijuana overdose.

The official publication of the Scientific Research Society, American Scientist, reported that alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs and using just 10 times what one would use to get the desired effect could lead to death. Marijuana is one of "" if not the "" least toxic drugs, requiring thousands of times the dose one would use to get the desired effect to lead to death. This "thousands of times" is actually theoretical, since there has never been a case of an individual dying from a marijuana overdose. Meanwhile, according to the CDC, hundreds of alcohol overdose deaths occur the United States each year.

The health-related costs associated with alcohol use far exceed those for marijuana use.

Health-related costs for alcohol consumers are eight times greater than those for marijuana consumers, according to an assessment recently published in the British Columbia Mental Health and Addictions Journal. More specifically, the annual cost of alcohol consumption is $165 per user, compared to just $20 per user for marijuana. This should not come as a surprise given the vast amount of research that shows alcohol poses far more "" and more significant "" health problems than marijuana.

Alcohol use is linked to cancer. Marijuana use is not.

Alcohol use is associated with a wide variety of cancers, including cancers of the esophagus, stomach, colon, lungs, pancreas, liver and prostate. Marijuana use has not been conclusively associated with any form of cancer. In fact, one study recently contradicted the long-time government claim that marijuana use is associated with head and neck cancers. It found that marijuana use actually reduced the likelihood of head and neck cancers. If you are concerned about marijuana being associated with lung cancer, you may be interested in the results of the largest case-controlled study ever conducted to investigate the respiratory effects of marijuana smoking and cigarette smoking. Released in 2006, the study, conducted by Dr. Donald Tashkin at the University of California at Los Angeles, found that marijuana smoking was not associated with an increased risk of developing lung cancer. Surprisingly, the researchers found that people who smoked marijuana actually had lower incidences of cancer compared to non-users of the drug.

Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana.

Addiction researchers have consistently reported that marijuana is far less addictive than alcohol based on a number of factors. In particular, alcohol use can result in significant and potentially fatal physical withdrawal, whereas marijuana has not been found to produce any symptoms of physical withdrawal. Those who use alcohol are also much more likely to develop dependence and build tolerance.

Alcohol use increases the risk of injury to the consumer. Marijuana use does not.

Many people who have consumed alcohol or know others who have consumed alcohol would not be surprised to hear that it greatly increases the risk of serious injury. Research published this year demonstrates how cannabis consumption actually makes you less likely to injure yourself whilst alcohol considerably increases it.

Now sorry to bore you with the details but my opponent asked for it. This points surely are well known now as America is well on its way to legalisation and the rest of the worlds governments are talking about it. So weed isn't that bad for you. Lets not discus this any further please.

I am wanting to argue with someone who believes its the role of the government to step in and tell you to not do something, on the grounds that it is mediocrely detrimental to ones health. Do you actually believe this? And if you do you MUST believe that alcohol, cigarettes and all things like salt sugar, skateboarding e.t.c should all be banned too. Now I understand your logic, but I wholeheartedly disagree. People have the right to choose if they smoke cannabis, drink alcohol e.t.c. I ask you to tell me why you think someone has the right to lock you up, and take your children off you and make you loose your job e.t.c for choosing to smoke weed? I think b.o.p lies with you sir.
meghapaulson

Con

meghapaulson forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

I will give my opponent another chance to respond, please don't mark him down, its not a fair determinant of the debate's merit.
meghapaulson

Con

meghapaulson forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

I woukd like to think those facts changed your opinion but I guess im wrong, hope your okay
meghapaulson

Con

meghapaulson forfeited this round.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
There's a few. Great!
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
This is why I hope someone brings in actual scientific papers =P
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
Mr lee. Try me lol
Posted by Mr.Lee 2 years ago
Mr.Lee
No I don't. You might not understand my reasoning though.
Posted by InnovativeEphemera 2 years ago
InnovativeEphemera
See, that doesn't make sense. If a person thought cannabis was not harmful, then why would they want it banned? Except maybe for religious reasons. There are a couple of things we could talk about, though, like schizophrenia and other mental health issues which are particularly bad with weed now due to hydroponic growth of the plant and concentrating the levels of THC while reducing cannibidiol.

Here's what's happening. You are wishing for a thing to be true, which is why you want to disregard peer-reviewed evidence. You know it will prove you wrong. Marijuana is bad for both your physical and mental health. The government banning marijuana saves state time and treasure in a) public health for marijuana consumers; b) Emergency services for road accidents, firearm mishandling (these should be banned, too, but that's another story) and domestic accidents. There are others, too.

Further, your position is ban-one ban-all. This is obviously ridiculous. Are you saying meth and MDMA should be legal? Methamphetamine is obviously worse for individuals and society than marijuana. That doesn't mean marijuana should be legal, nor that meth should be, either. Selling and growing pot should be illegal (same as other drugs), but the individual consumption of drugs should be seen as a public health issue, not a criminal one.

A side-note on your stale alcohol-tobacco comparison.
a) it's much harder to ban things that are already legal (take the prohibition as an example)
b) alcohol requires very high levels of consumption over a long time to render psychological problems
c) tobacco is associated with no psychological problems (though I think it should, in fact, be banned)
d) cannabis, especially now, has the potential to cause psychological problems quickly

https://www.business.unsw.edu.au...
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
Mr lee. One question: do you therefore believe alcohol and everything else that is potentially dangerous should be banned? If not how do you differentiate between what should and should not be banned?
Posted by Mr.Lee 2 years ago
Mr.Lee
I agree that it should be banned. The pro wanted to exclude statistics from this debate, so he is afraid to see his argument destroyed? Also, he claims it is "Impossible to accept." Dude, meghapaulson already proved that wrong.

Why should Marijuana/Cannabis should be banned? It impairs your driving ability worse than alcohol, so it endangers the Constitutional Right to life of others right from the start. (As does alcohol, but on a larger scale) For more Alcohol/Cannabis, follow this link.
http://www.drugfreeworld.org...

Also, a list of Marijuana/Cannabis long term and short term effects.
http://www.drugfreeworld.org...

Does it really seem worth it to you? Come on, I don't agree with any form of substance abuse, as it is unnecessarily subjecting your body to stuff that can, and is trying to kill you. It isn't natural for us to consume carcinogens, rat poison, diesel fuel, and so on. There is absolutely no positive side to drug use. (Alcohol is also a drug. It is listed as a Depressant. It is the most abused drug.)
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
I hope someone brings up some actual science here.
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
InnovativeEphemera - I want to leave the health risks out of the discussion because I am sick of arguing with naive people who believe all the propaganda. I think most sensible people understand that marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol, and that addictive unhealthy foods aimed at children, the advertising of gambling, and the fact that our environment and poor communities are in around the world are being exploited, puts the mediocre health risks of weed into perspective. I want to argue with a sensible person who understands the reality of cannabis consumption, and still believes its the duty of the government to ban it, to protect you from yourself. Meaning, I want to argue with somebody who thinks its the duty of the government, and the right of the government, to tell you what to do on the grounds that its better for you individually.

I am not arguing with naive people who think weed is anything worse than tobacco, alcohol or other drugs.

Addiction to drugs is bad, but drugs don't solely cause addiction. Inhaling burnt plant matter into your lungs is bad regardless of the substance-smoking an apple is bad for you! You can eat cannabis, there is no obligation to smoke it. So eating it, recreationally, is not bad what so ever. I am not interested in convincing those who still think marijuana is the devil, we have moved on now its like a broken record.

For the record because I cannot resist. Alcohol is far more influential as a gateway drug than marijuana. Would argue this.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Tommy.leadbettermeghapaulsonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture