SebUK
Conservative101

Cannabis should be legalized

SebUK

Pro

Round 1 is for acceptance only and please no rebuttal in Round 2 , Round 2 is for explaining your stance
Conservative101

Con

I accept. Good luck to my opponent.
SebUK

Pro

Before talking about my views i would like to say sorry but my computer prevents me to space the paragraphs ... Right lets get this thing going on i will explain my main arguments for legalization and i hope my opponent will do so aswell in his turn . 1.Prohibition failed For over 75 years the government has used criminal penalties to stop people from using cannabis yet cannabis is currently the largest cash crop in the United States, and marijuana is grown all over the planet , millions of people smoke it and never have any serious health problems because of it even the thought that cannabis prohibition is a good way to stop people from smoking it is as radicilous as the Flying Spaghetti Monster religion and is un-supported by facts and statistics which have shown that since the war on drugs started more and more people use drugs. My possible explanation is that it gives the people who use it a certain buzz or a thrill because they are doing something that society condems it's like a teenager sneaking out so he can try a cigeratte with his friends. 2.Better Quality and Possibly less use If cannabis was legalized the black cannabis market would mostly collapse because people would start buying from companies that compete against each other , No longer would people have to buy from someone in a dark alley who has no knowledge about business managament and puts stuff into his cannabis to make more profit . Marijuana is illegal therefore this is providing opportunities for teenagers to make easy money selling it to their friends most experts agree if cannabis would be legalized prices would drop down . 3. Hemp We need to change our energy policy we must embrace and promote the development of bio-fuels as an alternative to oil dependency and a way to reduce carbon emissions, it is all the more important to develop industrial hemp as a bio-fuel source . 4.It is not as harmful as legal drugs The propaganda is unbelivable Cannabis no matter what most people say is in fact much less harmful than legal drugs like alcohol and tobbaco the two most popular arguments are that Cannabis causes mental illnesses which is in fact true but quite rare and you would need to use it A LOT to actually get a mental illness from using cannabis oh and of course it is only if you have really bad genes or a family history of mental illneses and Two that Cannabis destroys brain cells which is a total lie, the idea that cannabis can cause brain damage comes from the Heath/Tulane Study of 1974 this study was done on monkies Not only were the monkeys given 63 columbian strength joints in 5 minutes, the smoke was administered through a facial mask with no additional oxygen. As you will find in any CPR or first aid manual 3 to 5 minutes of oxygen depravation will cause brain damage. The monkeys were suffocating. It was not Cannabis but the Lack of oxygen that caused brain damage no recent study shows that Cannabis has any link to brain damage. No-one has ever died out of Cannabis overdose this makes it one of the safest drugs out there . 5.Prison and Tax money In many places around the world prisons are extremely over crowded, Marijuana arrests make justice more expensive and less efficient we are wasting jail space for serious criminals and we are wasting the time of the police force , If Cannabis was legalized the government would make Millions or even possible Millions from taxing cannabis and hemp companies 6.Cannabis can be benefitual Cannabis is known to help people get through depression and anorexia it is also a way for people to socialize and meet people with similar interests , every day people are suffering from a variety of serious ailments. Marijuana provides relief from pain, nausea, spasticity, and other symptoms for many individuals who have not been treated successfully with conventional medications. What makes it even better is that it has a relatively low dependence liability and easy-to-manage side effects for most people the greatest risk of using marijuana is the relatively low risk of arrest. I now wish my opponent good luck and i await his main arguments against legalization.
Conservative101

Con

Why We Shouldn't Legalize Cannabis

I am going to explain my views and illustrate my arguments on why we should not legalize cannabis (marijuana). I will

assume that my opponent is talking about the U.S. since the majority of the debaters on this website are American,

legalization has been a highly controversial issue in America, and my opponent has not made known otherwise. First off,

I am going to say that marijuana, no matter how mild, is still a drug, and drug overuse can potentially harm any human

being. I will provide evidence that despite what many drug-users say, cannabis can lead to death. I don't see how

legalizing this drug will positively affect our nation and its citizens, and believe that it will push our country in the wrong

direction. However, I am open to new facts and evidence and will consider my opponent's argument, but as for the time

being I am against the legalization of this drug.

Teen Use

Even if we do legalize marijuana throughout the U.S., it will only be legal for adults 21 and over, just like alcohol is. This

means that no matter what, it will still be illegal for teenagers to smoke it. Recently my school newspaper reported that

an excessive amount of students have gotten caught this school year, following the legalization of marijuana in my

state. This means that more students will be getting caught, suspended, or even expelled, varying on the school. What I

can conclude from this research is that because of more marijuana use among adults, teenagers will be more exposed

to it and it will become more common among students. This will greatly affect our newest generation, who will be the

ones that will lead our country. If these young people are dropping out of school because of increasing marijuana use,

we will have less educated youth, leading to less jobs taken in our economy and an increasing unemployment rate. The

long term effects of marijuana use have physical, mental, behavioral, and social consequences[1]. It is not surprising

that these are the traits that will be needed for leading and supporting our country.

Increasing Risks

Marijuana use has proved to have a negative effect on driving[1][2][3][4]. As we know, drivers must be alert and well to

not make any fatal mistakes. But drivers under the influence of weed are more likely to crash, and potentially, die. "In

all seriousness, marijuana affects your reflexes, hindering your motor skills. So marijuana-related car fatalities are not

unheard of."[2]

In all seriousness, marijuana affects your reflexes, hindering your motor skills. So marijuana-related car fatalities are not unheard of.

And one study found marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in risk of a heart attack during the first hour after smoking because of the drug's effect on your heart rate.

Read more at http://www.ksl.com...

Read more at http://www.ksl.com...
Within three hours of cannabis consumption, drivers are nearly twice as likely to cause a vehicle collision

as those who aren't under the influence of alcohol or drugs[1][4].

But this isn't all. In fact, "...one study found marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in risk of a heart attack during the

first hour after smoking because of the drug's effect on your heart rate."[2] Some of the short-term effects of marijuana

are increased heart rate, fluctuations in blood pressure, and dilation of blood vessels[1], so we can safely assume that a

heart attack can come the consumption of weed.

The evidence has been laid out, and I have shown that marijuana use can cause death. Also, innocent people can be

affected, perhaps killed, in a vehicle collision if they are hit by a driver under the influence of weed. By legalizing it, the

number of car collisions and fatalities by it will increase, and the number of deaths from drugs may also increase,

provided the evidence I have shown.

Second Hand Smoking

As I said earlier, innocent people can be affected. This is true for more than just driving. "Second hand marijuana smoke

has the same potentially deadly consequence as the cigarette has."[5] Just by being in the same room with someone

who is smoking weed can be harmful. If we legalize it, people who choose not to smoke will be at risk as well. Public

smoking is not yet legal in Washington or Colorado, so inside effects are even more of a danger. People who have been

near marijuana smokers have shown the same symptoms as the smokers themselves. So why exactly should we go to

the trouble of putting more people at risk? By legalizing it we would have to implement more second hand smoke laws

(if the public calls for it), when really we could avoid the entire situation. I don't believe this will help anyone's health, the

smokers' or the people near them.
Read more at http://www.ksl.com...

Read more at http://www.ksl.com...

Read more at http://www.ksl.com...

Read more at http://www.ksl.com...

Read more at http://www.ksl.com...

By legalizing, we will be increasing the harmful risks of marijuana, changing the way our youth are raised, and affecting

others as well. I have more arguments to make and plan on rebutting my opponent's argument.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...

2. http://www.ksl.com...

3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

4. http://www.bmj.com...

5. http://secondhandmarijuanasmoke.com...

SebUK

Pro

' following the legalization of marijuana in my

state. This means that more students will be getting caught, suspended, or even expelled, varying on the school. ' Now whenever drug legalization affects the numbers of users is complex it can but it doesn't have to , for example in Portugal drug legalization barely affected the numbers at all. When it comes to teenagers , sometimes prohibition might even encourage it more than legalization since society condemns it and that's why many teenagers smoke cigerrates for example . ' If these young people are dropping out of school because of increasing marijuana use,

we will have less educated youth' education is compulsory . ' leading to less jobs taken in our economy and an increasing unemployment rate. ' speaking of jobs , cannabis legalization would lead to thousands of new jobs being created and a new booming industry in fact colorado just collected 2 millions in cannabis taxes and that's not including medical marijuana http://www.bbc.co.uk... . 'The

that these are the traits that will be needed for leading and supporting our country.' The [1] is often a sign of copied and pasted work , also my opponent hasnt listed what these effects are . 'Marijuana use has proved to have a negative effect on driving[1][2][3][4]. As we know, drivers must be alert and well to

not make any fatal mistakes. But drivers under the influence of weed are more likely to crash, and potentially, die.' again probably copied and pasted and also marijuana unlike alcohol causes you to drive more cautiously and slowly also how does prohibition deal with that? it's not like stoned driving would be legal if cannabis was legal . '...one study found marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in risk of a heart attack during the

heart attack can come the consumption of weed.' But the person doing the weed chose to do so , it is him who is taking a risk , forcing him not to do so is forcing your own morality onto him , 'The evidence has been laid out, and I have shown that marijuana use can cause death' but is quite rare and overdose has never been recorded. ' Also, innocent people can be

number of car collisions and fatalities by it will increase' just how people can be killed in car collisions by drivers who are not under the influence of drugs should we ban public transportation ? I don't think so , also how do you know that it's definatly going to increase? . 'who is smoking weed can be harmful. If we legalize it, people who choose not to smoke will be at risk as well.' unlike tobbaco , cannabis is not highly addictive and most cannabis smokers don't have the need to do so in public , if a person chooses to be in the same room with a cannabis smoker he chooses to be there .
Conservative101

Con

Conservative101 forfeited this round.
SebUK

Pro

I extend my arguments
Conservative101

Con

Rebuttals

1) My opponent states that drug prohibition will barely affect or even encourage drug use. My response to this is that my opponent has shown no examples or sources of this happening. Portugal is one country and although prohibition there may have a small effect that doesn't mean it hasn't had that effect for other countries and will continue to have that effect.

2) My opponent says that Colorado has collected 2 million in cannabis taxes. First of all, these are mostly state taxes. Second, once marijuana use begins to cause more deaths, marijuana sales will decrease, making the cannabis tax decrease. Third, since marijuana is addictive, it will cause people to buy it more and more, which will basically drain their money. The tax will cause their money to decrease even more, eventually making them broke. This will increase poverty. Do we want more people broke? I don't think so.

3) My opponent shows a lack of understanding of sources and quoting. If you have ever taken a Language Arts class or been on this site long, you would know that the "[1]" sign means I am quoting or paraphrasing text from a source. The "1" indicates Source #1, that I usually list below my arguments. When you say I am copy/pasting, what I am really doing is quoting from a source. If you are accusing me of plagiarism, then note the quotation marks I surround my quotes with and check my sources. Also, I will list the effects of marijuana below my rebuttals. I did not post them at first because I assumed you already had a knowledge of the effects in past debates, and that your opponents have already made them known to you.

4) Pro states that "marijuana unlike alcohol causes you to drive more cautiously and slowly also how does prohibition deal with that? it's not like stoned driving would be legal if cannabis was legal." The effect of marijuana on drivers is milder than alcohol, but what reason is this to legalize it? It's still worse than normal driving. Just because it isn't as bad as alcohol doesn't mean it's good. No, stoned driving probably won't be legal but not everyone is going to follow the law. Drunk drivers get caught all the time. If we prohibit it drivers are still going to do it, just like they do with alcohol.

5) After I posted evidence that marijuana can cause heart attacks my opponent said, "the person doing the weed chose to do so , it is him who is taking a risk , forcing him not to do so is forcing your own morality onto him". Yes, people have their agency but as Americans we don't want people to die. Agency can be and is abused all the time. If we don't legalize it, we are preventing many people who could've taken the risk and died to not take the risk and not die. That's like saying "We should allow people to jump off cliffs because they're taking the risk and we shouldn't force our morality onto them".

6) Yes, people can be killed in car collisions who are not under the influence of drugs but we're talking about marijuana here. I have already stated several times that marijuana has a negative effect on drivers and have provided sources to back my point. By legalizing it, the death toll of drivers will increase. What's your point? I don't think we should ban public transportation. It's just that marijuana will kill more drivers.

7) I may not "definitely" know the death toll of drivers will increase but I am pretty sure of it. I can't look into the future but I can make predictions based on evidence and facts. These evidence and facts are in the sources I have provided. Case in point.

8) People are affected by second hand smoke. Yes, people can choose to be in a room with a pot smoker but following legalization marijuana will become more commonly used, and harder to get away from. What if you're snowed in your own home and someone pulls out a joint? I mean, you can choose to be right next to them but it is going to be more difficult to get around places without breathing marijuana smoke.

Effects of Marijuana

Short-Term Effects[1]

-Rapid heart rate
-Increased blood pressure
-Increased rate of breathing
-Red eyes
-Dry mouth
-Increased appetite
-Slowed reaction time
-Distorted sense of time
-Paranoia
-Magical or "random" thinking
-Short-term memory loss
-Anxiety and depression

Long Term Effects[2]

-Liver, heart, lungs, and vasculature diseases
-Physical, mental, behavioral, and social health consequences

1. http://www.webmd.com...

2. http://en.wikipedia.org...

SebUK

Pro

'1) My opponent states that drug prohibition will barely affect or even encourage drug use. ' No I did not state that it will barely affect it , It might it might not we don't know there is many factors to consider , (like demographics and religion) even if it does I don't see it as a problem since marijuana is not highly addictive , It is better than tyrannical cops and over-populated prisons . ' First of all, these are mostly state taxes. ' yes and ? most countries in the world don't have a system like the US does . 'once marijuana use begins to cause more deaths, marijuana sales will decrease, making the cannabis tax decrease.' My opponent says that marijuana use will cause more deaths and doesn't explain why it would and says that marijuana tax will decrease because of that , why would it cause more deaths than it already is ? . 'Third, since marijuana is addictive, it will cause people to buy it more and more,which will basically drain their money.' Marijuana is not highly addictive The large majority of people who try marijuana do it experimentally and never become addicted. Unlike other substances, pot has very few severe withdrawal symptoms and most people can quit rather easily. for example It is estimated that 32% of tobacco users will become addicted . About 10% of recreational users will develop problems serve enough to impair their work and relationships. ' what I am really doing is quoting from a source.' okay . 'The effect of marijuana on drivers is milder than alcohol, but what reason is this to legalize it? It's still worse than normal driving.' Once again legalize cannabis not stoned driving . 'l but not everyone is going to follow the law. ' Oh and prohibition will magically make them follow the law? . ' Yes, people have their agency but as Americans we don't want people to die. ' If i wanted to kill myself it is not your responsibility to tell me not to , I will do what i want with my body and again explain to me why more people would die because of it . ' If we don't legalize it, we are preventing many people who could've taken the risk and died to not take the risk and not die. ' again why would more people die because of it? ' By legalizing it, the death toll of drivers will increase. ' why would it? . ' but following legalization marijuana will become more commonly used, and harder to get away from' Marijuana is not Tobbaco Marijuana is a party drug and is less addictive It's not going to be much harder to get away from . ' What if you're snowed in your own home and someone pulls out a joint? I mean, you can choose to be right next to them but it is going to be more difficult to get around places without breathing marijuana smoke.' It's your private property you can ask him to smoke outside . Sources : http://www.psychologytoday.com... http://www.drugpolicy.org...
Conservative101

Con

Rebuttals

"No I did not state that it will barely affect it, It might it might not we don't know there is many factors to consider"

This was after you said "for example in Portugal drug legalization barely affected the numbers at all." in Round 2, so you actually did state that it would. If you admit that there are many factors to consider then why bring it up? You are basically dismissing my argument by calling it a draw.

"It is better than tyrannical cops and over-populated prisons"

How are cops tyrannical when they are enforcing the law for the stoner's sake? I have already mentioned that it is harmful and can lead to death. As for over-populated prisons,

"most countries in the world don't have a system like the US does"

I'm not talking about other countries. I'm talking about the U.S. What is your point?

"My opponent says that marijuana use will cause more deaths and doesn't explain why it would and says that marijuana tax will decrease because of that , why would it cause more deaths than it already is ?"

Actually, I have explained how marijuana can cause deaths. More vehicle collisions and higher chance of a heart attack. As for the tax, more people will be dead, rendering them unable to pay the tax.

"Marijuana is not highly addictive The large majority of people who try marijuana do it experimentally and never become addicted"

True, but that doesn't mean it isn't addictive at all. Again, I'm getting the 'mild' excuse from my opponent. It's still harmful and dangerous.

"Once again legalize cannabis not stoned driving"

This was after you said there will be laws against illegal stoned driving. If you brought that up, then why would you say not that it's not stoned driving? It's a drug, so by definition, it is.

"Oh and prohibition will magically make them follow the law?"

I said not everyone will follow the law. However, The majority of people will.

"If i wanted to kill myself it is not your responsibility to tell me not to , I will do what i want with my body and again explain to me why more people would die because of it ."

Excuse me? If I had a friend or family member that wanted to kill him/herself then yes I feel it my responsibility to tell them not to do so. And more than just that, I would make sure they wouldn't and would help them with whatever trials they are enduring that would drive them to commit such an act. Even if I didn't know someone, and he or she was on the suicide ring then yes, I would definitely tell them not to do so. Also, I have already explained several times how more people die because of it. Perhaps you should read my past arguments again.

"again why would more people die because of it?"

Give me a real argument please. I'm tired of this constant questioning. I have told you several times.

"Marijuana is not Tobbaco Marijuana is a party drug and is less addictive It's not going to be much harder to get away from"

No, marijuana isn't tobacco. Stating that it's a party drug doesn't help your argument. My point is that as it is more commonly used, second hand smoke will occur more often.

"It's your private property you can ask him to smoke outside ."

You said this in rebuttal to the scenario I proposed: what if you're snowed in? I don't think I need to elaborate any further on this one.

In conclusion, I will say that marijuana will not help our country. Because if it more lives will be ruined, more risks will be posed, and we will be digging our way to a drug-ridden society. Our future generations will be affected, innocent people will be changed, and our great nation will take its first steps to its utter demise.

I thank my opponent for this debate. It's been a pleasure. May the best debater win.

Posted by KRTxBallistic 1 year ago
KRTxBallistic
SebUK lost big time.
Posted by Conservative101 2 years ago
Conservative101
Yup. Too bad no one saw it.
Posted by SebUK 2 years ago
SebUK
long time ago
Posted by SebUK 2 years ago
SebUK
The biggest allowed
Posted by Conservative101 2 years ago
Conservative101
What is the character limit?