DarthKirones
jacobie1121

Cannabis should be legalized

DarthKirones

Pro

"Cannabis, commonly known as marijuana, and by numerous other names is a preparation of the cannabis plant intended for use as a psychoactive drug and as medicine."

This is my definition of Cannabis, or what we will be calling it; Marijuana. I will be arguing Marijuana should not only be legalized medically but for recreation purposes as well.
We are not talking about legalization in a specific country, just legalization period.

The rules are as follows:
1st round: Acceptance
2nd round: 1st argument (1 point only!)
3rd round: 2nd argument (2 points only!)
4th round: Rebuttal

We will be only doing rebuttals in the fourth round.

Good luck my friend
DarthKirones
jacobie1121

Con

What the heck. This is a good debate.

Bring it on!
DarthKirones

Pro

Let's do this!

Argument #1: Major people

Fun fact: Barack Obama smoked pot when he was younger. "When I was a kid, I inhaled frequently. That was the point." Those are words from the current president of the United Sates of America. You know who else smoked Marijuana? Bill Clinton. "I experimented with marijuana a time or two." In fact to prove my point even more someone who is highly against Marijuana, George W Bush smoked cannabis. "I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions. You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried." There you have it. 3 Major US presidents smoked pot. Want more evidence? Here:

Why should the most powerful people on the planet get away from smoking Marijuana but us ordinary folk have to suffer in prisons? I am a Libertarian and I believe that if you want to smoke cannabis, then you should be allowed to smoke pot. Now, if you are high on pot and you kill someone, that is a crime, if you steal marijuana, that is a crime. But just smoking pot is a crime?

Ready for your arguments
DarthKirones
jacobie1121

Con

Oh dear. If I had known that this point would have been so easy to write a rebuttal for, I would have NOT saved the rebuttals for last! The rules are the rules though...

Point/Argument #1: Health
Yes, this is a predictable point, but nonetheless a good one. I will split this argument into two parts: health effects and knowledge about these. Health effects: Marijuana affects your short term health because it gives you memory problems, balance problems, and this lasts for hours after use. But for the longer term health problems: Lung Cancer, depression and anxiety, respiratory difficulties, and psychosis. Now we know this, but let's see if other people do. "a study released last fall by CCSA revealed that our country"s young people are confused about cannabis and do not have the knowledge they need about the risks associated with this drug to make more informed decisions."- Times Colonist. What's more, some kids are under the FALSE BELIEF that pot/marijuana helps focus them at school and even helps cure cancer. We need to teach these kids how bad marijuana is for a persons health, and how it CAUSES CANCER, NOT CURES CANCER!

Thank you for this interesting debate.
I know this is early, but then again it is never too early to say: VOTE CON!

Your turn!
Jacobie1121
DarthKirones

Pro

Don't worry, I also think your first point is easy to refute

Argument #2: Distraction to police force

What is the worst crime in your opinion? Murder? Rape? Assault? Don't you want the man who just raped your girlfriend caught and jailed? Or the serial killer captured and contained? The people who catch these evil men and women are the police yet as long as marijuana is illegal the police have to waste money, resources and most importantly time on people who just want to smoke a drug. These things could be spent on people who have done much more damage to society. i.e violent crime.

The second most common crime in the United States of America is drugs, just behind murder. And guess what the most popular drug of all? Not Heroin. Not Cocaine. It's Cannabis, AKA Marijuana AKA Pot. In fact an American citizen is arrested every 30 seconds for cannabis use! Marijuana is harmless as long as you take it in small doses. And yet if we get rid of the ban of Marijuana that will drop the illegal drug rate by a large percent. Marijuana offenders are a distraction to our police force and the ban needs to drop!

Argument #3: The cost!

Want some statistics to prove why marijuana should be legalized? Here: "Amount spent annually in the U.S. on the war on drugs: More than $51,000,000,000. Estimated annual revenue that California would raise if it taxed and regulated the sale of marijuana: $1,400,000,000. Number of people killed in Mexico's drug war since 2006: 70,000+. Tax revenue that drug legalization would yield annually, if currently-illegal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco: $46.7 billion."

http://www.drugpolicy.org...

Before you type "The costs do not matter!" I must correct that statement. The cost does indeed matter! We are not living in an ideal world were there is no war and only peace and there is equality amongst all human beings, no. We live in a world were costs matter, whether we like it or not. And by the way, I mean not only the financial costs but also the cost of human life. If you were to say the cost of human life does not matter then... well, I would not be the happiest person alive.

Once more, thanks for debating me.
DarthKirones
jacobie1121

Con

Here we go again.
FYI: I will later say both weed, marijuana and cannabis. They are all the same.

Argument 2: Business
Before I begin, do not let this argument think I am pro-marijuana, I am still against. This argument is about the legalization of it. Marijuana is a huge business right now, with the average street cost of a gram being, in Alberta, Canada, where weed is ILLEGAL:

High Quality: $224.78 / oz.
Medium Quality: $213.11 / oz.
Low Quality: $284.02 / oz.

Here is the price of weed in Washington State, where weed is fully legalized:

High Quality: $233.55 / oz. (n=2666)
Medium Quality: $190.45 / oz. (n=2725)
Low Quality: $141.86 / oz. (n=123)

As you can see, there is more of a business in the weed business when weed is illegal. If you legalize it, the risk factor of growing it and selling it goes down, and competition goes up, so the price goes down, and the maker makes far less money. And guess what. Illegal weed is selling in Nunavut, Canada for over 1000 dollars! What a business!

Argument 3: "Gateway Drugs"
Marijuana is known to be a "gateway drug". A gateway drug is a drug that is known to often lead to other drugs, because of several reasons: First of all, because the users might want to feel a bigger "high" than when they smoke marijuana. Secondly, because you get drugs from a dealer, this dealer could also be selling other, harder, drugs to you.

Good luck,
Jacobie1121

VOTE CON!!!!! :)

THE BRAIN
http://www.priceofweed.com...
DarthKirones

Pro

Ah, the rebuttal. Fun time!

"Health"

I am going to give two sides to my rebuttal.

First of all. Just because Marijuana unhealthy does not mean that it should illegal. Is alcohol illegal? Is sugar illegal? Or Cigarettes? All of those things causes much damage to your body. I know that you are also against Alcohol and Cigarettes, but the debate is not about what we think but whether these things should be legal or not. Just because something is bad does not make it illegal. I don't doubt the affects, just that other things can also do a lot of damage to your body are legal and Marijuana is not.

Also, if a person wants to hurt themselves, let them! It's their bodies, their mind. We are individuals and we have our own free to do what ever we want, even though somethings have consequences. But in the end if a person wants to harm their own body then that's their choice. Like I said before, if the people who smoked Marijuana committed a crime under the influence of Cannabis then there is no excuse but as long as they harming their own bodies then I am fine.

"Business"

This is how all Business works. At first it's small but once it grows people take notice and competition evolves. Does that make Marijuana any worse because it becomes just like other companies? No! Toyota has competition in the car industries yet it is somehow worse then what it would be if it was the only car company? Or is McDonald's worse then what it already is because Burger King mad a worse burger but even though it's worse it is still competition? Nope! I could ramble on and on, but I still have one more point to cover.
"Gateway Drugs"

"A habit-forming substance whose use may lead to the abuse of drugs that are more addictive or more dangerous."

You are correct on one thing. Cannabis can be a gateway drug. However it is not the only gateway drug. By the definition of the gateway drug theory the gateway drug is any less deleterious then hard drugs i.e cocaine, heroin etc. A gateway drug could be any light drug like alcohol or tobacco. Even caffeine in that energy drink of yours can serve as a gateway drug. Yet is caffeine illegal just because it can be a gateway drug? No!

I thank you for debating me Jacobie1121, best of luck on your rebuttal!

http://www.mpp.org...

http://listdose.com...

http://listverse.com...

http://www.drugpolicy.org...

Lastly,

VOTE PRO!
jacobie1121

Con

The best part of the debate
that decides our fate,
on this fateful date,
so good luck, mate!

I will take advantage for being the last debater to refute my opponents points AND refute his refutes.

"Major People"

My opponent states that "Why should the most powerful people on the planet get away from smoking Marijuana but us ordinary folk have to suffer in prisons?". You know why? Because if the police arrested Barack Obama, Bill Clinton or George W. Bush, there would be an outrage of riots and other such violent acts. People would be very, very mad with the police because they just arrested the PRESIDENT! My opponent also had a quote:, "I don't want some little kid doing what I tried."- George W. Bush. Ahem, DarthKirones, you are supposed to be debating FOR pot, not give a quote that explicitly has a leading figure say that weed is BAD!!!!! Sigh.......

"Distraction to the police force"

Of course everyone wants that "big criminal" caught, but since when is this a "distraction" to the police forces around the world? They have special forces for drug catching, so it's not a distraction to the people who catch these murderers and other criminals. Also, my opponent stated in this argument that it is harmless in small doses. DEFINITELY NOT!!!! AS I said before, people search for a bigger "high" after smoking even just a little bit of pot. This will lead to either the person smoking MORE pot or using a "harder" drug!

"Cost"

Ok, so the government would get money if you legalize pot. But the average small grower of pot would not! The price of pot actually goes down when it is legalized because of a): competition is higher and b): The risk factor goes down, decreasing the value of pot.

"Rebuttals"

My opponent stated that because marijuana is bad for you does not mean that it should be outlawed. He goes on to say all the bad things for your health that are allowed. But, he neglected to state all the things that WHERE outlawed BECAUSE OF THE HEALTH EFECTS: Heroin, Cocaine, Opium, Ecstasy and so on.....
These drugs where banned because of the negative health effects. It seems to me that my opponent approves of people hurting themselves if they want to. But should you let these people harm themselves with drugs these serious? N to the O!

In the point about business, I did not say that marijuana is bad! I said it produces better business BECAUSE it's illegal. And yes, pot DOES become worse when it is legal, because it is sold cheaper when it is allowed, which makes the seller make less money!

My opponent states that weed should not be outlawed just because it is a gateway drug. It's not outlawed because it is just a gateway drug! It is outlawed also because it is bad for your health!

Thanks,
Jacobie1121

VOTE CON!
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
Please vote, if you can
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
Thanks
Posted by DarthKirones 2 years ago
DarthKirones
Very well. I will stop.
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
What's wrong is that you are convincing the public that your points where legit even after the debate!
It's called illegally influencing them!
Posted by DarthKirones 2 years ago
DarthKirones
What's wrong with clarifying what I said?!?
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
sigh.......
Posted by DarthKirones 2 years ago
DarthKirones
True, just clarifying things
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
Let the voters decide...This is a comment section not a debate section!
Posted by DarthKirones 2 years ago
DarthKirones
And it is harmless in small doses
Posted by DarthKirones 2 years ago
DarthKirones
AND when I quoted George W. Bush I never said I agree with him. Not once. I quoted him so you did not think I was a liar who just made up things.