Jokerdude
TheLibertarian

Capital Punishment and should it be used in society

Jokerdude

Pro

Capital Punishment is a humane way to keep dangerous criminals off the street. In the end it ends up saving the government millions of dollars. To keep one cell open in prison its 24000 per cell 75000 for a maximum security cell. That is with out adding in costs for basic needs in prison like food and health services. Lethal Injection only costs 86 dollars and is a humane way to kill. This will act as a detterent to crime, right now its not working because it only kills a few hundred a year if all the criminals on death row were killed by the death penalty it would be a detterent on crime. Like in the 70's the government took the death penalty away and murders increased by over 15000 deaths once it was reinstituted the murder rate fell 130 percent. Also over 70% of most crimes are commited by a convicted felon who has been released from prison. This is why Capital Punishment should be mandatory because we must keep our streets safe from dangerous criminals like murderers and rapists. 0% of criminals who are sentenced to death recommit a crime.
TheLibertarian

Con

TheLibertarian forfeited this round.
Jokerdude

Pro

Well since he didnt answer, i extend across all my arguments and since he dropps he must concede. Again the death penalty will save countless lives as well as millions of dollars to help the us bounce back from the debt its in
TheLibertarian

Con

First of all, I would just like to apologize for not adding anything for the past round, as I completely lost track of time and forgot about this one debate. Also I would like welcome you to this site, and your first debate.

I will first negate some of my opponent's points, and then move on to some of my own.

First, he states that capital punishment saves "millions of dollars". However, not only does it not save this much, it actually costs the government an obscene amount of money in legal fees. While my opponent makes a good point that it costs thousand of dollars to house a criminal for life, and the injection itself only costs 86 dollars, he is leaving out the vast amount that is spent for very successful lawyers for a very long trial, usually lasting a year or more. These costs, which are paid for by the government, can, and usually do, end up in the millions for each death penalty case, and cost the government an insurmountable amount of money, one of the many, MANY reasons we are in this deficit.

Next, my opponent says that it is a deterrence to crime. However in the United Kingdom, where capital punishment has been abolished relatively recently, there has actually been a drop in murder and rape crimes (http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk...). This is caused to the criminal realizing he won't be killed for his crimes, and therefore does not wish to kill all of the victims or witnesses. So, the death penalty is in fact an encouragement for criminals to murder others.

Finally, my opponent says how it will reduce crime on the whole and be beneficial to our justice system. However, capital punishment is something that cannot be taken back, as is the case for other punishments. There have been countless examples where the victim of the death penalty has actually been found innocent based on newer technologies. In addition, a fair amount of people on death row also have been acquited, acquitted with newer evidence and newer devices used by police, the accused have in fact been proved to be innocent all along. So in fact, it would only make our crime and punishment system worse, and would be much worse than life without parole.

So, in conclusion, abolishing the death penalty would save us money, save us lives, would help deter crime, and would be beneficial on the whole to society. Thank you.
Jokerdude

Pro

Hey its cool whatever ya gotta do ya gotta do, plus i think its lame to win on a technicality. Getting to the point

1.Thank you for conceding this point, but the way it will save money is through these lack of filled prisons. And as for the absurd legal fees, prisoners are all entitled to the appeals process. Lifers are usually entitled to one every 2-5 years, add that up and its a hell of a lot more than the couple of appeals that a death penalty case would. So thus saving the government money.

2.First thing i would like to point out that this happened in another country with its own traditions and legal systems. Second is that follow this link and it shows what happened in the US when the death penalty was temporaroly abolished. Plus it is really hard to show deterrence when out of the 18000 on death row only a few hundred die each year maybe if we actually executed these prisoners it would show a huge deterrence in crime.

3. I concede to the fact that new technologies have come about to help clear innocent peoples names. This happened almost 2 decades ago with DNA testing. Since then this should be an even more reason to vote for the death penalty because now that it is more accurate we can do so without worry.

4. Id also like to point out that my opponent dropped my reasoning that 0% of criminals sentenced to death will recommit a crime

5. I would also like to point out the first amendment, life liberty and pursuit of happiness, you can have these rights as long as you don't infringe upon these basic rights, the moment someone commits these hanus crimes they lose these rights, so it is legal within our constitution.

Thank You Vote Affirmative
TheLibertarian

Con

First I will negate all of my opponents points, dealing with his arguments, and then make some closing remarks. (Also, I will be getting all of my stats from http://www.karisable.com...)

1. My opponent stated that, including the appeals process, it is cheaper to use the death penalty (DP) instead of life without parole (LWP). However, even when taking into account the automatic appeals process, which is at the most $700,000 for LWP, and the cost of housing for the criminal, it is still much cheaper to be charged with LWP than DP when dealing with the OBSECE court fess the government has to pay for a capital punishment case.

2. I stated earlier that LWP in reduces murder and that DP increase them in nations, based on England and it's legal past. My opponent rebutted by saying that England s a different country, with a different culture, which I cannot argue against. However, in Texas and Oklahoma, where thare are the most executions in the US (24 and 14 in 2003, respectively), there was an increase in murders, and in other non-DP states, there was a decrease in murder rates. This is because criminals will kill all witnesses to a crime iin which they know they will receive the DP, but when the punishment is LWP, they will not feel they need to murder any of the witnesses.

3. My opponent staed that with new DNA technology, there will be more evidence, and therefore more accurate DP cases. However, in 2005 alone, 37% of all DP cases were appealed, even when they included DNA testing earlier. This shows that there is stilll a great deal of mistakes in our justice system, and in DP cases, you cannot reverse the punishment after you have killed the criminal.

4. While it is true that all criminals murdered by the government will never recommit a crime, it is also true that all criminals in jail with LWP ALSO never recommit a crime.

5. Yes, it is constitutional, however, we are not dealing with whether or not it is legal, but whether it is just, correct, and whether or not we should use it.

Which leads me to my closing remarks. The death penalty is a barbaric, unjust, and awful punishment that is enacted under natural law and is a violation of everything we have fought for: Liberty, freedom, and peace. By allowing the capital punishment to continue, you are merely allowing government-sponsored murder to occur, and I end with a quote by the great Mahatma Ghandi, "An eye for an eye only leaves everybody blind." Thank you.

PS. Please vote on who debated best, not on your own personal beliefs. Thank you again
Posted by TheLibertarian 9 years ago
TheLibertarian
I also want to apologize again for not posting on my round, it was really stupid of me.
Vote Placed by g713 8 years ago
g713
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by JOEYMER21 9 years ago
JOEYMER21
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by AntiPatriot 9 years ago
AntiPatriot
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by breaker11 9 years ago
breaker11
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by t3hbrian 9 years ago
t3hbrian
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by jewishninja00 9 years ago
jewishninja00
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by countrylover 9 years ago
countrylover
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by Jokerdude 9 years ago
Jokerdude
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied
Vote Placed by Napier 9 years ago
Napier
JokerdudeTheLibertarianTied