jjr18257
msaka33

Capital Punishment should be abolished in all 50 states of the United States of America.

jjr18257

Pro

I believe that Capital Punishment should be abolished in the United States. I also believe that it should be abolished in every country, but lets keep this debate refined to just the US. First of all, as a country, we spread a message telling others to not kill. Then Capital Punishment allows us to be completely hypocritical and kill others. Gandhi said "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." The death penalty constantly tops wrong onto wrong and we are not getting past this hump.
Capital Punishment is such an expensive way to punish our criminals. Since 1978, California has spent over $4,000,000,000 just on executing capital offenders!!! -"If the governor commuted the sentences of those remaining on death row, it would result in an immediate savings of $170,000,000 per year, with a savings of $5,000,000,000 over the next 20 years." "Judge Arthur Alarcon and Professor Paula Mitchell (Assessment of Costs, 2012) That's crazy that we are still stuck in this awful situation of spending so much money on doing an inhumane act. The average cost of a death penalty case in Maryland is $3,000,000, and in Kansas, Capital Punishment cases are 70% more expensive than non-capital punishment cases. We could easily spend that extra money on more important things such as violence prevention! This is an inhumane way to treat other humans. Although they have made an incredibly bad choice by committing a capital offense, they are still human and we must treat them as one. Life without probation is a sufficient punishment for a capital offender, not killing them. That is why I believe that Capital Punishment should be abolished in all 50 states of the USA.
msaka33

Con

I accept your challenge,

I believe in capital punishment because I don't believe that because someone kills 12 people in a movie theater he should have the right to still be breathing after what he did. Capital punishment isn't a revenge tactic, it's about punishing those who have committed evil beyond reason, it's about justice.

Are you saying that keeping them alive is cheaper? Sirhan Sirhan has been kept alive for 45 years now after assassinating Robert Kennedy, how do you think those prisons are funded? Not only do I lose my right to defend myself after a shooting occurs but I have to help fund that person's life until the day he/she dies

So we allow these criminals to live after taking the life of others which is basically a death penalty for those victims who did nothing but just lived their lives as law-abiding citizens, they don't seem to be treated like humans but more like insignificant targets

This isn't about how much capital punishment costs, it's showing that these criminals can't commit horrible crimes and be given a cell and taken care of the rest of their life, the second they commit that crime, they lose all their rights
jjr18257

Pro

jjr18257 forfeited this round.
msaka33

Con

I guess that declares me the winner, I thank my opponent for posting this debate, it was fun, I guess?