smithk96
thett3

Capital Punishment

thett3

smithk96

Pro

The term capital punishment stands for the punishment as death due to the crime. I feel like a person shouldn't get capital punishment due to robbing a candy store; but like the bible says an "eye for an eye". Where I'm getting at with that is that, if someone takes takes a life, their life should be taken as well. As we are told only God can take a life that he created.
thett3

Con

I'm assuming that the first round is for acceptance.

I'll be arguing that Capital Punishment should not be used because it harms innocent people.
smithk96

Pro

Okay, and I stand by my argument as stated as above.
thett3

Con

My opponents argument is religiously based.

God does not exist. The Bible is not true. If it is, my opponent has not proven so.

My argument is that Capital Punishment has the inherent ability to harm innocent people.

I. Capital Punishment kills innocent people.

Since 1976, there have been 9 individuals executed in the United States with serious doubt as to their guilt[1]. Further, there have been 143 innocents sentenced to die since 1973[2] . No doubt innocents can die from Caital Punishment, just ask Lena Baker[3]. Since Capital Punishment has the inherent ability to harm innocents, it must be avoided.

II. Capital Punishment harms innocents via the Brutalization Effect.

The brutalization effect is when individuals find it ok to do brutal or cruel things because their government has said it's ok to do so. For example, in Nazi Germany the government abused and brutalized Jewish people, and after a while the people of Germany became less empathetic towards the Jewish to the point where they did not protest at their deportation. This effect can also occur from Capital Punishment, making people less sensitive to homicide as Gary W. Potter[4] explains: "The death penalty, in fact, not only does not deter homicide and other crimes, but through a brutalization effect actually increases both homicide and violent crime markedly, seriously increasing the danger to society in states where it is used with any degree of frequency whatsoever."

Vote Con.

1. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...;
2. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...;
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...;
4. http://www.e-archives.ky.gov...
smithk96

Pro

smithk96 forfeited this round.
thett3

Con

She went away
smithk96

Pro

smithk96 forfeited this round.
thett3

Con

<--- This guy just got a free win
smithk96

Pro

smithk96 forfeited this round.
thett3

Con

thett3 forfeited this round.
Posted by airmax1227 4 years ago
airmax1227
Even if one reasons from the biblical perspective on capital punishment with the verse an 'eye for an eye', it could not be inferred that the system of capital punishment we see today could be justified by it.

First, the biblical requirements for death required two witness, and the offending party must be warned of the consequences of his action. These two elements made the death penalty extremely rare in the ancient court systems abiding by these rules, and today would make the burden of proof on the state, nearly impossible.

Secondly, some of the oldest commentary on the old testament says outright, "Ayin tachat Ayin, Ayn mamash" - "An eye for an eye is not literal".
Vote Placed by airmax1227 4 years ago
airmax1227
smithk96thett3Tied