IEnglishman
BoggyDag

Capitalism Is Better than Socialism

BoggyDag
Started: 11/28/2014 Category: Economics

IEnglishman

Pro

I believe capitalism is a much better system than socialism in every way, and that the only thing which stops capitalism taking over the world is socialism, namely the corporate kind.

Definitions

Capitalism- An economic and political system in which a country"s trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state. (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...)
Socialism- A political and economic theory of social organization which advocates that the means of production, distribution, and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole. (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...)
BoggyDag

Con

Just to make this clear: all I have to do to win this debate is show how socialism is better than or equal to capitalism in ONE SINGLE WAY, since my opponent declares capitalism to be "much" better in every way.
Or alternatively give a reason apart from "corporate socialism", whatever that may be, why capitalism doesn't take over the world.

This means I do not have to prove that socialism is a better system to win this debate, as this is what my opponent wishes to debate. This will be a steep uphill battle for my opponent.

I'm intrigued to read his case.

IEnglishman

Pro

My opponent has stated some confusion as to what corporate socialism is. Corporate socialism is where businesses bail each other and their employees out, using their money as welfare nets to protect companies that make bad economic decisions. This is not the usual method by which corporations operate (capitalism) because it is a community using its produce to bail its community out. It is essentially socialism in corporations. This is the reason behind the bursting of the housing bubble in 2011.

Now, onto why capitalism is better than socialism. The first reason Capitalism is better than socialism is that Capitalism allows for the market to regulate itself. Prices of goods are decided by shareholders in companies. There is only a small possible amount of regulation imposed in socialism. Without a market regulation, companies stagnate and produce the same things, technological improvement is limited. In the USSR, the economy stagnated for precisely that reason.

Secondly, Capitalism allows people to set up their own businesses and become rich. Socialism cannot do this, it makes an artificial monopoly of companies paid for by immense amounts of taxes, leading to lack of money for everyone else and lack of progress, lack of advancement in an individuals career path.

Thirdly Capitalism does not impinge on your rights to do business as you want to. Socialism restricts business ventures to only those that would help others, at least in some sectors of the market. This socialist ethic is restrictive and anti-freedom.

In all areas of economics and personal lives you can see socialism has a negative effect.

I thank you all for reading.
BoggyDag

Con

My opponent declares Capitalism to be superior to Communism.
Like most Isms, these two rest on easy human ideas and concepts, like my opponent's (poor) definitions show. Now, don't get me wrong, for the sake of this debate, I will accept these definitions.

But life isn't easy and straight-forward. Every simple idea leads to unsolvable problems a few steps down the road.

Capitalism is known most commonly known for one specific problem, namely overproduction.
Renowned economist Professor David M. Kotz, Department of Economics, Thompson Hall, University of Massachusetts, writes: "neoliberal capitalism ... We can identify three possible sources of over-production in a neoliberal structure.
The first is known as underconsumption, a crisis tendency associated with capital having the upper hand in wage bargaining. [...]
A second type ..., called over-investment, ... stemming from the nature of competition. In contrast to the co-respective behavior toward one another by large corporations in the regulated capitalist era, in the neoliberal era capital-capital relations are characterized by unrestrained competition including frequent price-cutting. ... that ... leads to excessive investment, as rival firms battle for survival by trying to raise their market share. This in turn leads to ... underuse of capacity.
A third type of over-production crisis tendency in neoliberal capitalism stems from asset bubbles. This happens because rapidly rising profits ... create a pool of funds seeking investment that exceeds the available profitable productive investment opportunities. As a result, the excess investable funds find their way into the purchase of assets, which tends to raise asset prices." from http://books.google.de...

Now, over-production means two major things:
1. We have a lot of wares that go to waste, especially food.
2. We consume resources faster, leading to a worldwide deprivation of for example fossil fuel, certain metals etc.

Now, communism, on the other hand, regularly leads to under-production, as the assigned firms cannot deliver the needed wares in time, always working behind the actual need.
And while both are equally bad, there is one thing in which communism's under-production is even superior to capitalism: resources under a communist regime would last longer, leaving more of them for generations to come, which is a good thing in and of itself.

Hence, Capitalism is not superior to Communism in EVERY WAY. I win.

As for what is stopping the spread of Capitalism over the whole planet: my dear opponent supposes a false dichotomy.
Vatican city is neither Capitalist, as all business is coordinated by the Pope and most revenue is made from donations, nor Communist, as Communists despise religion and even more importantly Catholics despise Communism: "Religious socialism, Christian socialism are contradictory terms, for no one can be, at the same time, good catholic and true socialist." (Pio XI) from: http://www.montfort.org.br...

"Noncommercial economy
Vatican City's economy is noncommercial. Hence it's difficult to analyze economy of Vatican City by usual standards. Economic structure of Vatican City is quite unique and does not conform with workings of a conventional economy." from: http://www.economywatch.com...

This means that Communism is not the ONLY reason Capitalism doesn't spread over the whole world. In my personal opinion: luckily so, for having two opinions only in a world filled with seven billion humans would be very, very sad.

My opponent is wrong on both counts of his resolution.

I would advise to stop this debate before it declines into ridiculousness.
IEnglishman

Pro

IEnglishman forfeited this round.
BoggyDag

Con

Extend all arguments.
IEnglishman

Pro

IEnglishman forfeited this round.
BoggyDag

Con

It is a pity that my opponent chose to forfeit rather than admit defeat, despite still being active on this site.

I have to consider this as concession of all points, since they stand unrefuted.

Vote Con.
Posted by Mike_10-4 2 years ago
Mike_10-4
Capital is the means of production. The means of production are found in all social-systems of governance, therefore, they are all Capitalists. The difference is, ownership and controlled of the capital.

The means of production works best in free-markets.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Capitalism is better for the individual that wants to make something of himself. Socialism is better for the individual that wants others efforts to make something of him.
Vote Placed by Jzyehoshua 2 years ago
Jzyehoshua
IEnglishmanBoggyDagTied
Reasons for voting decision: I actually thought Con's argument about resources remaining was a vulnerable one that could have been contested, but Pro did not attempt to do so, forfeiting multiple rounds, so I give this one to Con.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
IEnglishmanBoggyDagTied
Reasons for voting decision: Multi round forfeit... Not to be confused with a concession (which is actually incredible conduct).