smoothpoints
JackFritschy

Capitalism and Democracy are Antithetical

smoothpoints

Pro

Definitions:

Capitalism: An economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit

Democracy: A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

Antithetical: Directly opposed or contrasted; mutually incompatible.

Conditions:

Round one is acceptance.
Round two for opening arguments, no responses.
Rounds three and four are for rebuttals/closing statements.
All arguments must be sourced with some leniancy due to the nature of the motion.
Forfeiting a round forfeits the debate.

Note:
I use British English.

Good luck!
JackFritschy

Con

I look forward to debating you.
smoothpoints

Pro

smoothpoints forfeited this round.
JackFritschy

Con

I would believe that by definition capitalism and democracy are nessary for each others existence. As far as I know, theargument against capitalism is that it only benifits a small portion of the population while democracy benifits the whole population. Capitalism as benefited society far more then any other system. 150 years ago, foods like steak tomatoes, and pepper where considered only available to the upper class. Thanks to capitalism, production has increased, lowering prices, making foods like these available to most of the population. Also, without capitalism, the consumer would have know way of deciding what products were produced. In a free economy, competition creates industries that meet public demand. Societies without competition like the USSR suffered massive shortages and surpluses due to the fact that the goods in demand were not being produced because their was no reward for industries meeting demand. Also, in a non capitalist democratic society, people elect leaders to create economic policy. Essentially, they vote for want. They have no freedom to do as they please, but only freedom to elect somebody that hopefully does something that they want. Consumers have much more stake in the market then they do in there government.

The idea that money buys elections is ridiculous. If an individual can only donate a certain amount to a campaign, then only well known established politicians with name recognition and large fan bases can win. A dark horse with out a voter base has no way to gain a voter base because his very limited base can only give him a limited amount of money. This cuts back onpolitical diversity because smaller groups are crushed by the party establishment.
smoothpoints

Pro

smoothpoints forfeited this round.
JackFritschy

Con

JackFritschy forfeited this round.
smoothpoints

Pro

smoothpoints forfeited this round.
JackFritschy

Con

JackFritschy forfeited this round.
Posted by smoothpoints 3 years ago
smoothpoints
@miketheman1200 - A capitalist economy in its most basic sense, private ownership of property and the means of production, affects the power structure of any country. As I will argue, the concentration of captital and ownership in a small segment of the population is adverse to the aspirations of a democracy where every citizen has a stake in the political mechanations of the state. In cases where private individuals can have an enormous effect on the size of political campaigns(e.g. the U.S.) the intended results of a democratic political system are compromised.
Posted by miketheman1200 3 years ago
miketheman1200
Essentially the two can coincide, although as soon as the government intervenes then capitalism is absent.
Posted by ThuggsyBogues 3 years ago
ThuggsyBogues
I'm new to this site so forgive me if I don't understand how this works. I tried to accept your challenge and it said I don't "match your age or debates completed requirement". I'd love to take this challenge if I could.
Posted by miketheman1200 3 years ago
miketheman1200
Capitalism is an economic system alone. It is not a political system. It can play into a political system. You can have industry that is controlled by the state that is democratically elected / vise versa.