TheHitchslap
Badtothebone

Capitalism is a Desirable Economic System

TheHitchslap
Started: 5/21/2013 Category: Economics

TheHitchslap

Con

I hereby challenge BadtotheBone to a debate on capitalism.

Round Breakdown for me:
Round 1) rules
Round 2) arguments/rebuttals
Round 3) arguments/rebuttals
Round 4) conclusion

Round Breakdown for my Opponent:
Round 1) acceptance and arguments
Round 2) arguments/rebuttals
Round 3) conclusion
Round 4) rhetorical statement

Standard DDO ethics/rules apply:
no semantics, no trolling, ff = loss, no circumventing character limits
violation of these rules results in a loss.

Now I assume BOP due to capitalism being heavily imposed in the world today

Opponent state your case!
TheHitchslap

Con

Seeing as my opponent failed to defend capitalism as per the rules in round 1, then I shall start the show I suppose. Goodluck to him!

C1: Imperialism and Coercive

First, the British who eventually colonize huge portions of land in Africa, North and South America, Australia, and India amongst others did so due to the original search for a Northwest passage to trade with the Chinese. Unfortunately, the US felt repressed and demanded separation (doing so via war) Canada also separated, along with the rest. Yet the lesson is still there; capitalism during that time incentive to the British to ignore it's own people it had under it's control to exploit resources, labour, and countries not under it's control. It was the main argument against slavery; that a young economy needed them.

C2: Market Instability

Second, the instability of the economy in the business cycles. At most, under Bill Clinton the economic growth was sustained for a period of 10 years, the longest in Capitalistic history, then comes the bust. The issue with this is that the business cycles are unpredictable and unstable, at one moment everyone is making money, the next only the rich actually are able to be sustained. This is caused by the industries not knowing how much supply is actually needed in an inflationary period, resulting in too much resources being produced essentially becoming worthless. This is permanent in a capitalistic economy, due to the means of production being private.

C3: Property

This issue causes even more problems in the economy; a person may own something regardless if he needs it or not, which is a form of tyranny it seems. In other words, the property is yours, and the way of accumulating it does not matter, nor does your usage of it also matter, thus the person owning property retains the right to refuse someone to that property, causing inequality, and a faulty unproductive region of the economy. Another example of this is patients. They allow the person with a patent to destroy anyone else who comes up with a similar product, or improve upon the previous product due to the protection of it to one person. This hampers economic growth, as innovation is staunched as a result. Thus your idea and his idea are in conflict, who should get the profit for the idea when both are equal?

C4:Exploitative

Slavery, poverty, and starvation is all from a result of capitalism

I'm intrigued to see what my opponent has to say about all of this, let's see how he will recover :)

Over to my opponent.

Badtothebone

Pro

First of all, I was invited which I didn't really want to do so. And second, I accepted it because I wanted you to argue first not me, that's usually how that goes. So debate yourself.
TheHitchslap

Con

my opponent forfits;

if you really didn't wish to debate, you could have turned it down. Why did you accept it then?

Either way, thank you, and please give me the win
Badtothebone

Pro

Well I WAS going to debate but you didn't say that I should argue first. Plus being c@cky isn't going to prove your point
TheHitchslap

Con

And I quote in the first round:

"Round Breakdown for my Opponent:
Round 1) acceptance and arguments "

I don't know how to make that any clearer for you sir ...
Badtothebone

Pro

Badtothebone forfeited this round.
Posted by edgi 4 years ago
edgi
I offer the following huge consideration re. this debate. As shown here
http://patrick.net...
capitalism AS NOW PRACTICED includes massive villainies of deception by omission that are outside of the definition of capitalism! IMO the operative, largest flaw of the 'system' is the brainwashability of the people when the news media are well-bought.
Freedom of the press evolved to Fool 'em if you can. SOBs.
Vote Placed by Bullish 4 years ago
Bullish
TheHitchslapBadtotheboneTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and insults.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
TheHitchslapBadtotheboneTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct "And second, I accepted it because I wanted you to argue first not me, that's usually how that goes. So debate yourself." This is a time I wish I could vote twice on this area. S&P: Both were flawed, but neither approached illegibility (as much as pro did not know how to spell cocky). Arguments: Con made a case, pro was just a dumb Alec.
Vote Placed by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
TheHitchslapBadtotheboneTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.