MCAC
Mantizah

Capitalism is one of the main reasons for suffering in society.

Mantizah

MCAC

Pro

Capitalism has been born out of human greed, and insecurity. As Tupac Shakur said "They have money for wars but can't feed the poor". Capitalism is basically having money but not using it for anything but to make more money. I am not for socialism or any other popular system. I simply believe that people should stop focusing on money as it is an imagined concept- its cotton or paper notes and round pieces of metal that have drove humanity to madness. As Marshall Mathers said "money is what makes a man act funny". without capitalism not only would there be less suffering, but you would probably be able to buy items for a price that they are actually worth, (when i say buy i don't necessarily mean for money, could be trade or at least a restricted amount of money or something) . I have come to this opinion through experience in my own life, and by looking at the world around me.
Mantizah

Con

I think you're a bit confused about the definition of capitalism.

noun
an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, especially as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth.

Capitalism may not be the best system. It has its problems, but what system doesn't? You're talking about it like it's the embodiment of greed or something.

" Capitalism is basically having money but not using it for anything but to make more money. "

Although capitalism does, unfortunately, allow this to happen quite often, money is far more often used to simply buy food, services, tools and the various other things that serve to make a person happy. You may have to pay a bit more than they're worth, but the people who make them, sell them, and invent them need a little share of the profit too.

http://dictionary.reference.com...
MCAC

Pro

I understand where you're coming from, by definition capitalism does mean that, however my point is that it is based purely on money. There could be a more moral system which doesn't mean businesses can grow big enough to i.e. employ child labour and get away with it because they, maybe, bribe people to not speak of it. That's just one example. Im also not saying that money should be completely abolished, but capitalism primarily focuses on the concept, and if people stopped wanting money just to have it, or to multiply it, would instead use it to help, people would not suffer as much. This is very obvious is it not?
Mantizah

Con

Indeed, what you say is extremely clear to see. Capitalism is such a big part of our lives that it will undoubtably be connected to a hell of a lot of strife, but you can't blame your legs when you trip. We just aren't advanced enough as a species to use it properly. Indeed a better system would help A LOT, but it's far more our own fault for not using it right, is it not?
MCAC

Pro

Just realised ive not given enough rounds for this debate, sorry.
For one, i try not to make money easily if its not really deserved. For example i do not invest in shares as thats helping companies get bigger for doing, well not something that is worth millions or billions, because i then end up making money for clicking the mouse and watching charts. I try to make money worth my work, actually help someone who needs.
Surely if we used capitalism differently it would no longer be capitalism though? I just cant see how capitalism could be used without causing grief, as it is, as the dictionary states, to make profits. Profits in one place mean losses elsewhere. there we go. profits mean losses have to be made somewhere else, which lead to.. well you know what. and if there isn't, then money is being pulled from thin air, which is whats happening now, i.e. countries borrowed money, and profits to the loner have been multiplying through interest rates, which led the globe to be in a total debt of over $53,000,000,000,000 and growing. that imaginary money shouldn't be there. imagine transferring the value of this money into services to help this tragedy, we call our home.

http://www.economist.com...

Thanks for the debate.
Mantizah

Con

i've agreed with most of the things you've said so far, but I still think you're twisting the definition a bit. Indeed if we could learn get along better, stop using money we don't have, and worry about more than our own personal gain, we could live far better than we do now., but private ownership isn't to blame. It's our imperfections. Our greed, our stupidity, our love of power... it's the fact that we're human..

And as always, thank you for the debate.
Posted by Mantizah 2 years ago
Mantizah
I'd just like to say that I really, really don't like capitalism. But I figured it would be good to take part in this argument just to make sure I wasn't making a mistake in that judgement. Thanks to Pro for helping me do that.
Posted by Skeptic111 2 years ago
Skeptic111
Without getting into your specific arguments, I think money rewards work. And work, hard work is good for society. however, unchecked capitalism- without government oversight, can also destroy the environment and abuse workers. So it needs rules. Government needs to structure capitalism and be an advocate for the workers. Capitalism is very enabling system for innovation and progress.
Posted by MCAC 2 years ago
MCAC
Yeah thats fine Chest, feel free to join whenever.
Posted by Chest 2 years ago
Chest
I may accept, if no one accepts in a four days, comment that you want me, and I will debate you.
Posted by MCAC 2 years ago
MCAC
It was a result of greed, and people are turned to more greed because of it
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Self refuting. According to pros base, capitalism is merely a symptom of greed and insecurity, not a cause in itself.
Posted by MCAC 2 years ago
MCAC
Do you have an argument or are you just gonna assume that im another socialist/ communist or something?
No capitalism does not mean not having slight differences in income per person/ household.
Posted by SoupReamDibBayTore 2 years ago
SoupReamDibBayTore
Oh dear lord...
Vote Placed by Haroush 2 years ago
Haroush
MCACMantizahTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made good arguments about capitalism, but he didn't address Con's argument of people being personally responsible for making it bad.
Vote Placed by RowanM 2 years ago
RowanM
MCACMantizahTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had better arguments and pro used rappers to back up his claims.