goldman
Wallstreetatheist

Capitalism is responsible for the detrimental effects to human life

Wallstreetatheist
Started: 7/14/2012 Category: Economics

goldman

Pro

In this debate, Round 1 is acceptance. Round 2 is arguments.
Round 3 is arguments and rebuttal. Round 4 is rebuttal and conclusion.
These days many people in the capitalist countries face loss of job opportunity.
Moreover, the stability of human life and the dignity of human beings are being threatened. Capitalism is responsible for those predicaments.
I define the capitalism as follows: ``Capitalism leads to unfair and exploitative concentrations of wealth and power in the hands of the relative few who emerge victorious from free-market competition - people who then use their wealth and power to reinforce their dominance in society. Because such people are rich, they may choose where and how to live and their choices in turn limit the options of the poor.`` ( http://www.britannica.com...)
It is true that socialism brought about many harmful effects on human life and society during the days of Cold War. However, we must admit that the emergence of the globalization of national economy are damaging on human life in many parts of the world. Therefore, I focus my arguments mainly on this side of the capitalism.
I hope someone who is interested in this topic accept the debate.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

Definitions

My opponent apparently thinks he can win this debate purely on an abusive definition. This is called semantics, and attempting to win a debate solely on it usually equals a loss. His definition of Capitalism comes from the book The Britannica Guide to Political and Social Movements That Changed the Modern World in Chapter 3: Socialism. The "definition" actually begins with the phrase, "Socialists complain that Capitalism..." thus demonstrating this is not an objective definition, as it stems from the documented bias in the Socialist ideology. [1. http://books.google.com...]

I suggest an objective counter definition, given that there have been over twenty comments complaining about your abusive definition,
Capitalism
: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market. [2. http://www.merriam-webster.com...]

Responsible: Being a source or cause. [3. http://www.thefreedictionary.com...]

Detrimental: Causing damage or harm; injurious. [4. http://www.thefreedictionary.com...]

Effect: Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result. [5. http://www.thefreedictionary.com...]

Burden of Proof

My opponent has the burden of proof to demonstrate that Capitalism is the source of the harmful effects to human life. This means establishing a causal mechanism to get from Capitalism to the effect. If no such causal mechanism is described, we have no way of differentiating Capitalism from any other cause, reducing such a resolutional claim to a post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy. The use of "the" in the resolution indicates that 'all of the detrimental effects' are attributable to Capitalism. Surely this is not what my opponent means and it would be impossible to prove, yet that is the construed meaning until he clarifies.

I will argue the Con side through rebutting my opponent's claims, demonstrating the true origin of such detrimental effects, and establishing what true Capitalism is.

Last Thoughts

My opponent went against the format by making arguments in his first round. I ask that those arguments be disregarded, as round one is for definitions, acceptance, and setting parameters for the debate.

Now that we have that settled, I look forward to an enlightening debate. Good luck, Pro! :D
goldman

Pro

I thank Con for accepting the debate and giving the comments. I must argue that Capitalism is the source of the harmful and detrimental effects to human life. I present the mode of production system of Capitalism to demonstrate my arguments. ``It is characterized by: the predominance of private ownership of the means of production and exploitation of wage labour, distribution and exchange in a mainly market economy( commodity production), and capital accumulation( production for profit).``(http://en.wikipedia.org...)

Firstly, all things are exchanged by money in a capitalist society. They are natural resources, raw materials, human labor, land and machinery. They are regarded as commodities. They are bought by capitalists and business managers.
They use them to make goods which can be sold on the market. In particular, workers are hired and employed by capitalists. They do not have means of production. They can not live a day without receiving a wage offred by the employer. Therefore, they are controlled and exploited by capitalists as freely as they would. This is one of the source of the harmful and detrimental effects to human life.

Secondly, we must keep in mind that ``the overall aim of capitalist production , under competitive pressure, is to maximise net profit income(or realise a net superprofit) as much as possible, through cutting production costs, increasing sales, and monopolization of markets and supply.``( http://en.wikipedia.org...)
When the business firms face serious recession, the demand for their products decreases and the situation of over-supply emerges. This damages the financial stability of many business companies. Therefore, managers reduce labour-force as much as possible to survive the predicament. This strategy contributes to producing mass unemployment facing many developed countries today. This situation is harmful effects on human life. Many workers are deprived of their hope and dreams for their future.

For example, ``the 17-nation Eurozone`s unemployment rate reached the highest level since the creation of the common currency 13 years ago, climbing to 11percent in April as employers slashed 110,000jobs.``(http://money.cnn.com...) And ``the unemployment rate in the broder 27-nation area that makes up the European Union rose to 10.3 percent in April, as employers trimmed 102,000jobs from their payrolls. This was the highest EU unemployment rate on records that go back to 2000.``(http://money.cnn.com...)

That are all for my arguments for Round 2. I am looking forward to reading Con`s arguments for Round 2.
Good luck, Con.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

Analysis

In round 2, my opponent presents a sad, feeble case to attack Capitalism. Using links that don't work, he cites the prestigious Wikipedia and CNN schools of economic thought. The first two text blocks quote the general idea of Karl Marx's Das Kapital. My previous observation that, "The use of "the" in the resolution indicates that 'all of the detrimental effects' are attributable to Capitalism," went unaddressed by Pro, so we are still left with the natural assumption that he has to prove that Capitalism is responsible for all of the detrimental effects to human life: war, famine, disease, poverty, social unrest, natural disasters, and mental disorders. So far, he has named two supposed detrimental effects of Capitalism, which we will examine in more detail in the following paragraphs. Two flawed detrimental effects is not meeting his burden of proof.

RE: Biased definition

My opponent brings back the much missed abusive definitions when he describes Capitalism as, "the predominance of private ownership of the means of production and exploitation of wage labour, distribution and exchange in a mainly market economy (commodity production), and capital accumulation (production for profit)." This stems from Marx's Das Kapital, a book designed to demonstrate supposed flaws in the Capitalist model and pursuade people to the Socialist and Communist ideology. Despite a Tsarist ban on that type of literature, they considered the book to be a scientific work of Poltical Economy i.e. Economics.

Exploitation means "The action or fact of treating someone unfairly in order to benefit from their work," so for the concept of wage labour exploitation to be true, my opponent must not just state it, but substantiate the claim with evidence. I address this in the next rebuttal.

RE: Exploitation

My opponent lays out the following syllogism, "They do not have means of production. They can not live a day without receiving a wage offred by the employer. Therefore, they are controlled and exploited by capitalists as freely as they would." This is a faulty syllogism for several reasons. let's look at it sentence by sentence.

1) "They do not have the means of production." This is false and also not as relevant in the labor market today. Given free market Capitalism, there are no statist barriers to entry in the market. This means that self-employment and small business ownership are more common, as competition keeps firms smaller and more adaptable than under American corporatism, for example. A person need not own 'means of production' to generate income, or even to become wealthy; human capital, the sum total of your skills, talents, and abilities, is important in free market Capitalism because it is rewarded, as it gives something of value to people. The rise of the internet also improves the efficiency and availability of self-employment, self-improvement, and markets in general. People on YouTube, blogs, and website building sites are largely self-employed and generate income through their own talents without a boss. Furthermore, if someone saves money, he will have the resources in the future to buy capital goods, become more physically productive, and have his own means of production, while generating income.

Summary: A worker does not need to own means of production to generate income. Savings enables the future purchase of means of production.

2) "The can not live a day without receiving a wage offered by the employer." This is false. Under free market Capitalism, savings accounts are larger, as the government doesn't forcibly steal around 50% of the money you earn. This enables more to be saved, as well as more to be spent on goods that have a societal value (unlike various military wewapons programs). Under free market Capitalism, an average worker saves much more, which allows them to be prepared for rainy days such as unemployment, natural disasters, and medical operations. So, an employee may have enough savings for 3-6 months for such events. This is also ameliorated by the great availability of labor on the free market. If you lose your job that pays $20 an hour, you can pick up a job paying $5-$10 an hour, while looking for another job that pays a salary like your previous job. This eases the transition between jobs. Furthermore, many people are self-employed as I stated before, with 1 in 9 US workers being self-employed; this number is logically bound to increase under free market Capitalism. Needless to say, unemployment is low under Capitalism.

Summary: Capitalism encourages savings and personal responsibility, which prepares people for rainy days such as unemployment. The availability of jobs, self-employment opportunities, and part-time work eases the transition between high-salary, full-time jobs.

3) "Therefore, they are controlled and exploited by capitalists as freely as they would." False, this is the begging the question fallacy because the two premises it relies on have been proven false. Capitalism is peaceful trading and contracting between people and groups. This does not seek to control people or rule their lives, it is simply a system of properly organizing what a society values and providing it via spontaneous order and a price system. Capitalism is the freest economic system; you are free to produce, distribute, contribute, advise, teach, etc without the burdens of taxes, government intervention, or price and wage controls. If you don't like the place you are working, you are free to leave to work somewhere else or to become self-employed, or to live off your savings. It is true freedom; there are obligations though.

Summary: This conclusion is based on two flawed premises, which begs the question. Capitalism enables true economic freedom and personal responsibility. Firms compete in a labor market, so naturally those who offer the most will attract better workers; this acts as a check on unfair pay and treatment.

RE: Unemployment

My opponent states that when firms are faced with serious recessions, they end up firing workers. While this is generally true, it is a) usually due to government intervention, and b) the recession is the natural restructuring of the economy. a) When government intervenes in the economy with the use of programs, moentary policy, and fiscal policy, the market becomes distorted and as a result, malinvestments occur. b) Creative destruction and temporary unemployment are the methods that help an economy return to economic health by shedding unsustainable investment trajectories, malinvestments, and disproportionate labor distribution. This is why Capitalist economies recover more quickly from recessions, while Socialist and Mixed-Economies perpetuate fundamental economic problems longer.

He then states unemployment in the Eurozone; however, the Eurozone is one of the least Capitalist regions in the world. So...

[1] Henry Hazlitt, Economics in One Lesson

[2] Peter D. Schiff, The Real Crash
[3] Ron Paul, End the Fed
goldman

Pro

This round is the continuation of my arguments, exploring that Capitalism is the source of harmful effects to human life.
Thirdly, War and Capitalism. The U.S. has been spending a large amount of money on millitary build-up since the end of World War 2. The millitary - industrial complex are playing an important role in american Capitalism for a long time.
Many large companies producing millitary-related products are enjoying stable sales and profits by contracting the Defence Ministry of the U.S. On the other hand the U.S. government is aiming at reducing the budget for social infrastructure, pension and the unemployment benefits. Therefore, older people and the unemployed workers suffer from income reduction and old high-ways and bridges remain unrepaired or neglected. Higher quality of human life is damaged.
Fourthly, in the age of globalization many Western companies are introducing the outsourcing strategy to strengthen their competitive power. This contributes to harmful effects to workers`lives. For example, ``outsourcing is spreading to new categories of workers, white collar and skilled labour. In France, 200,000 jobs in the service industry ( including 90,000 coming from services to business, 20,000 from research and development) are threatened with being transferred to Eastern Europe or Asia between 2005 and 2010.``(http://en. internationalism.org)
We must pay attention to the fact that all of the world proletariat are subjected to the pressure of the insane, competitive race among business companies.

Fifthly, those who are demanding the protection of natural environment and resources in local community have been killed by the companies of the West in the last few decades. Their aim is to sell natural resources like timber or mines in Asia and Latin America on a global market. Life of many local people has been sacrificed by the illegal and immoral behavior of the capitalists.
``The countries where environmental killings are most common share similarities: a powerful few, with strong links to officialdom, and many poor and disenfranchised dependent on land or forests for livelihoods, coupled with strong activist
movements.``(Global killings of environmentalists on rise, The Japan Times, June 22,2012)

From above arguments I believe that Capitalism is responsible for the harmful and detrimental effects to human life.

Rebuttals: (1) I understand that Internet business is thriving in the U.S. I believe in this type of business risk is high and at the same time the possibility for generating stable income for a long time is not high.
In my opinion social and economic foundation are important factor for venture capital.
(2) I believe saving rate is different from one country to another. American people often say that consumption is a virtue. On the other hand,in Japan people tend to save aggressively to prepare for uncertainties. Way of life has something to do with saving behaviour.

(3) If the company faces poor sales and the decrease of profit, the manager try to lay his empolyees off as early as possible. Therefore, the peaceful relations between them is easily destroyed.

That are all for Round 3. Good luck, Con.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

I'm not going to waste a lot of time on debunking my opponent's asinine claims, so my argument may seem brash, but he hasn't addressed any of my points rationally and continues labelling things as capitalism that aren't. He is either trolling or incredibly ignorant of economics and political philosophy.

Dumb reason #3
My opponent states that the US government spends money purchasing military products from military firms in the US, and this is somehow a fault of capitalism. The obvious response to this is that the military-industrial complex is a government-induced phenomenon that likely would not exist with its current power and influence if placed in a free market capitalist society. The MIC is a result of a policy relationship between corporation and state. When the government interferes in the economy enough to create economic sectors to support itself, this is not capitalism, this is socialism. Capitalism is private profits and private losses, not private profits and socialized losses. My opponent then states that the government is spending too much on military products and not enough on social programs and pensions. This is not discussing capitalism, but rather government fiscal policy, which in this case intervenes and redistributes tax money that was forcibly taken from innocent people to be spent largely on government administrations and bureaucracies, while the rest is inefficiently allocated to a permanent underclass and a system of roads that is responsible for 3,240,140 auotomobile accidents in the US alone. My opponent likes to concentrate on the US government and European governments without reference to actual capitalist processes and ideas. [1]

Dumb reason #4
My opponent states that outsourcing is part of capitalism and bad, because people lose jobs. And that competition in the free market is bad. But, looking at reality, outsourcing isn't a bad thing, even if part of the reason manufacturing jobs are leaving the West is due to too much government interference in the economy, which makes goods and services less expensive in Asia's special economic zones. Furthermore, outsourcing is humanitarian and beneficial; the reason why people in developing countries take jobs that pay very little using western standards is because it is their best option for themselves and their families. "Child labor is necessary in the developing world because given the low productivity of their parents, the alternative is starvation. According to a 1997 UNICEF study, 5,000 to 7,000 Nepalese children turned to prostitution after the US banned that country’s carpet exports in the 1990s, and after the Child Labor Deterrence Act was introduced in the US, an estimated 50,000 children were dismissed from their garment industry jobs in Bangladesh, leaving many to resort to jobs such as 'stone-crushing, street hustling, and prostitution.' The UNICEF study found these alternative jobs “more hazardous and exploitative than garment production. The only way to eradicate child labor is the same as in was eliminated the West – by raising the productivity of adults sufficiently to feed their families." [2]

Steve Piraino writes, "Though it sounds nice to say that each laborer's compensation should reflect his needs, the implementation of this view would entail losing all of the benefits of the division of labor. Instead of flowing to those jobs that will produce the most valuable goods for consumers, labor would be allocated according to the politicized vagaries of some kind of official bargaining process. Who would gain under this framework? If the experience of Cuba, North Korea, Soviet Russia, and Communist China is any guide, no one." [3]

Finally, competition in capitalism is not like a typical competition in that there are people who lose and people who win. Capitalism makes society more prosperous; people are happier because they are freer, richer, and have the opportunity to pursue a career they love; and science and progress accelerate, adding to the sweetness of it all.

Dumb reason #5
My opponent describes the use of the Earth's resources as "illegal and immoral." Under the strict property rights that govern free market capitalism, environmental impacts and pollution would be kept into check much more efficiently than the violent monopoly of government can or will. Furthermore, there is no causal mechanism from the system of free market capitalism to environmental killings that has been described by my opponent or any solid evidence that supports this claim.

Opponent's Rebuttal
I have never felt genuinely sad for someone's lack of intellect until this point in my life. I hope my opponent will open a book every once in a while, and may god have mercy on his soul.

Conclusion: My opponent has presented zero legimitate reasons to believe capitalism is bad. He misrepresents capitalism, blames government failures on it, and misunderstands even the most fundamental concepts. He has to demonstrate that all the detrimental effects to human life are traceable to capitalism. So far, he has zero out of trillions. We'll see if he manages to break debating code by posting new arguments and evidence in the last round to help his pathetic case.

Question to judges: is this a multi-accounter, or is he just stupid?

[1] http://wiki.mises.org...
[2] http://oneminute.rationalmind.net...
[3] http://mises.org...
goldman

Pro

This last round is devided into two parts. One is a comment on Child Labor. Second is a conclusion.

About Child Labor. : Since the Tiananmen democracy movement, Chinese Government established a free-economic zone in the wave of Global Capitalism on the coast areas, in which many Western companies built factories.
They offered job opportunities for the younger people. However, we must pay attention to the illegal child labor.
``Child Labor is a crime that has been practiced within China. .... They work day in and day out in conditions that put their lives in danger.``( http://clchina. wetpaint. com/)
Their long-labor hours destroy their health and lead to the loss of many future work-force.

Conclusion: The striking disadvantage of Capitalism is that the benefits of Capitalism are not equitably distributed.
This contributes to producing the economic disparity between the rich and the poor. And political instability, social conflict, crimes and the homelessness are caused. It seems that capitalists and business managers lack in the mind of compromising with the working class. They will continue exerting an enourmous influence on society by keeping their economic and social power.
Wallstreetatheist

Con

My opponent drops nearly all of my arguments and still cannot locate the quotation mark key or copy+paste a URL.

Conclusion: My opponent has not upheld his BOP that all detrimental effects to human life are caused by Capitalism. I have demonstrated several factors that make Capitalism a societally beneficial system. Go Capitalism!

Rebuttal

"Child Labor is a crime that has been practiced within China. .... They work day in and day out in conditions that put their lives in danger.``Their long-labor hours destroy their health."

Child labor is a reality in almost every developing nation because it is the best option for people to increase their living standards and the productivity of their capital. To deprive them of this option that THEY CHOOSE would to leave them with the options of prostitution and menial tasks, which commit themselves and their families into a lifetime of poverty. About the health risks: self-ownership is presupposed in voluntary transactions.

"The striking disadvantage of Capitalism is that the benefits of Capitalism are not equitably distributed."

That's actually one of Capitalisms best attributes.

1) Capitalism rewards hard work, innovative work, and intelligence. Straying from this system by using government to pervert the market only creates negative externalities, makes society less productive, and decreases positive incentives.

2) Furthermore, forcibly redistributing wealth from one group that earned the wealth to another who wants the wealth is called theft. It is an unjustified and unjustifiable infringement upon natural property rights.

"This contributes to producing the economic disparity between the rich and the poor."

There is nothing inherently wrong with people making different wages. A marketing ddirector earns more income from a company than the janitor, and that is good. Society values workers' productivity, human capital, and performance, because those are used to benefit society the most through the market. This is a natural valuation of labor through the market.

Another point worth bringing up is that competition in a free market decreases the size of firms and consequently decreases their ability to make exorbitant amounts of money. When the state pairs up with a corporation through regulations, tariffs, or subsidies, the ability for unjust economic disparity is created. It is unjust because the people making money are doing so at the expense of society, not for the befit of it.

"And political instability, social conflict, crimes and the homelessness are caused."
There is little political instability under Capitalism because government fulfills an extremely limited role in society. Social conflict decreases because private property, the non-aggression principle, and self-ownership are recognized as high social values. Crime is rampant when the government creates shadow economies through prohibition, unnecessary regulations, and undefined private property rights. Homelessness can be traced to government policies that created and collapsed the housing bubble, such as the Federal Reserve, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac.

"It seems that capitalists and business managers lack in the mind of compromising with the working class."
You are making this assertion based on the Corporatism and State-Socialism that is rampant throughout the world, not based on what Capitalism is. The market is full of compromises; that's why we have a price system. Supply and demand compromise to create a near equilibrium in whatever society values, which ends up benefitting society as a whole, on net.

"They will continue exerting an enourmous influence on society by keeping their economic and social power."

I'll end with a great Mises quote, "Big business depends entirely on the patronage of those who buy its products: the biggest enterprises loses its power and its influence when it loses its customers."

Thanks for reading and debating! :D
Posted by ehrgeiz21 4 years ago
ehrgeiz21
There is a big difference between Capitalism and Corporatism and Wallstreetatheist did very well distinguishing between the two. My hat is off to you , good sir.
Posted by NextGenerationElephant 4 years ago
NextGenerationElephant
@Wallstreetatheist, I don't think I could have put together a better argument.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
I'm racking up the conduct points with this debate xD
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Roy, there was a format rule against making arguments in the first round. My opponent created it,

"In this debate, Round 1 is acceptance. Round 2 is arguments.
Round 3 is arguments and rebuttal. Round 4 is rebuttal and conclusion."
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
I think my opponent is mentally handicapped and/or trolling.
Posted by LaissezFaire 4 years ago
LaissezFaire
What KRF said. I think this debate is especially open to that sort of tactic, since Pro cites britannica.com, even though that definition isn't actually there. You could just cite the real definition from britannica.
Posted by KRFournier 4 years ago
KRFournier
To be honest, just because someone puts a definition in the opening round doesn't set it in stone for me. If the opponent effectively argues that the initial definition is flawed or abusive, then I will accept their definition instead. I can't imagine a lot of voters on this site blindly accepting Pro's definition just because it was written. I say, accept this debate, provide a better definition (explaining why it's better) and then go for the win.
Posted by maninorange 4 years ago
maninorange
So, that totally isn't a definition at all.
Posted by johnnyboy54 4 years ago
johnnyboy54
I'll accept if the definition of capitalism is unbaised and not defined by you in an effort to win a semantic victory.
Posted by Magicr 4 years ago
Magicr
Ditto
Vote Placed by NextGenerationElephant 4 years ago
NextGenerationElephant
goldmanWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: "Capitalism should not be condemned, since we haven't had capitalism." -Ron Paul
Vote Placed by MouthWash 4 years ago
MouthWash
goldmanWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was not a debate. This was prison rape. :D
Vote Placed by KRFournier 4 years ago
KRFournier
goldmanWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't put up much of a fight, so loses the argument. However, Con exhibited poor sportsmanship towards Pro with needless namecalling and loses conduct.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
goldmanWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro presented an ideological monologue, never responding substantially to Con's arguments or presenting data to support his claims. Pro admitted that socialist states had ills, which concedes that not all ills are from capitalism. It's a conduct violation to call opponent arguments "dumb." There is no format rule against arguing in the first round.